PDA

View Full Version : Crab and Snail

KayleeAnn24
06/04/2015, 04:54 PM
My boyfriend just got a blue leg crab for our fish tank to eat the algea in the tank. One of my snails had algea growing on him. The crab currently is on the snails back pulling off the algea. The snail is trying to shake him off and quickly moving to the top of the tank. Is the snail in pain? should I try to prevent this from happening? Also I thought I had read online somewhere that blue leg crabs eat snails out of their shells, my boyfriend said the lady at the LFS said that that won't happen. Does anyone have experience with this. I can't bear the thought of mr. snail being in distress or being scared. :confused:

gone fishin
06/04/2015, 04:57 PM
Crabs will often shell jack a snail,that is just the way it is. Either replace the snails as needed or pick one or the other. Good luck.

KayleeAnn24
06/04/2015, 05:00 PM
Oh noooooo! So does that mean that the crab is harming the snail?

gone fishin
06/04/2015, 05:02 PM
I don't know. It could be eating the algae or it could be evicting the snail.

KayleeAnn24
06/04/2015, 05:06 PM
Well i know for certain he was just eating the algae, and I just asked and it's not a blue leg like i thought its an emerald crab does that make a difference? And thanks for your feedback I do appreciate it.

Heatherabel3
06/04/2015, 05:07 PM
My crabs clean the algae off my snails all the time and the snails react that way. I don't know if it's hurting them or if they just don't like having the crab on them. The crabs have never eaten a snail though, but they are all algae free.

KayleeAnn24
06/04/2015, 05:11 PM
Thanks! Also do emerald crabs need new shells I'm looking it up and it I can't find a clear answer either way. All of the things I've read are comparing them to hermit crabs and give more info about the hermit than the emerald.

gone fishin
06/04/2015, 05:11 PM
An emerald will not shell jack a snail. That being said all crabs are opportunistic and will grab a meal when they can.

No emeralds do not need a shell added like hermits. They will take care of their shell themselves.

KayleeAnn24
06/04/2015, 05:20 PM
Ok Awesome! There's so much algae in my tank that I don't think he'll be turning to that for a long time. Thanks guys, I feel way better now. I always go to the extreme end of concern and panic if I think one of my critters is in danger.

snorvich
06/04/2015, 05:22 PM
Crabs will often shell jack a snail,that is just the way it is. Either replace the snails as needed or pick one or the other. Good luck.

Exactly.