PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer suggestions?

Sgt Jonny Cat
06/05/2015, 12:56 PM
I know I will probably get a lot of opinions on this but I am getting ready to upgrade to a 75 gallon tank and want to upgrade my skimmer to an in sump model. I have an Eshopps PSK 100 HOB right now and love it. What do you all suggest for a skimmer on a 75 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump? (obviously the sump wont have 30 gallons in it)

Thanks again all...

hkgar
06/05/2015, 01:46 PM
Personal opinions are what you are going to get, so I will start.

In 15 years I have owned many different skimmers. Every major brand I believe.

I now have a LifeReef and it is without a doubt the best I have ever had.

There personal opinion #1. First determine the type of skimmer you want re garding how air is introduced. Two schools of thought about that.

Here is the Life Reef link:

http://lifereef.com/home.html

Search on Lighting, filtration and other equipment forum for the lifereef thread.

crabbydan
06/05/2015, 01:57 PM
I originally had an aqua max hob skimmer for my 38 gallon cube it worked but I always thought it was just okay and seemed I always needed to fiddle with it to get it going again everytime I cleaned it. On Black Friday last year I picked up a VERTEX OMEGA 150 PROTEIN SKIMMER couldn't be happier. The only downside is it has a large footprint but I built my 20 gallon long sump chambers specificlly to fit this in it. Very happy with this. Also I upgraded the 38 gallon cube to a 105 gallon tank which is why I upgraded the skimmer to begin with.

tennesseebob
06/05/2015, 06:31 PM
I just ordered my first skimmer ever, so my opinion isnt worth much, but i corresponded with the guys at BRS and told them which ones i was looking at, and they Suggested the Skimz, so i went with that, mine is a bit overkill for your tank, but the build quality seems to get great reviews, but the ones with DC pumps seem to have trouble.

mbauma
06/05/2015, 08:57 PM
I have an Eshoppes S-200 in my 140 and it does a good job. It's rated up to 200 gallons, but works well for me.

AZBigJohn
06/05/2015, 10:26 PM
I really only have experience with one brand of skimmers, and I like them so much I have never felt the need to switch.

The Reef Octopus skimmers work well from day one, break in quickly and are very reliable. I am not sure what size would be best for your tank, but I use the BRS size recommendations, which are a little more conservative than the ones from Reef Octopus.

A sea K
06/06/2015, 03:48 AM
I really only have experience with one brand of skimmers, and I like them so much I have never felt the need to switch.

The Reef Octopus skimmers work well from day one, break in quickly and are very reliable. I am not sure what size would be best for your tank, but I use the BRS size recommendations, which are a little more conservative than the ones from Reef Octopus.

I've had a few (ASM, Euro Reef, SWC Extreme being the most prominent) and must agree with AZBigJohn. My RO 110 Classic INT has been a standout for me. Does the job very well with absolutely no fuss.

IMO the 110 will be borderline for a 75 depending on what your planned stocking level is going to be. You can always jump up to the 150 if needed.

intyme
06/06/2015, 06:00 AM
Aquamaxx CO1

thegrun
06/06/2015, 07:39 AM
I love the AquaMaxx skimmers especially for the price. The Vertex skimmers are also great, but you are going to pay more money for one than a comparable AquaMaxx

Kies1
06/06/2015, 10:05 AM
Had a reef octopus sroxp1000sss on my 90 gallon. Found a great deal on a vertex omega 180i. Have been very happy with both but the reason going tp the 180i is my 90 is stocked heavily. The build quality on the vertex is outstanding and have been very happy with it. It is a little oversized for the 90 gallon but with a heavy bio load is working great. Can't go wrong with either vertex or reef octopus in my opinion

Sgt Jonny Cat
06/06/2015, 10:15 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm leaning towards the Vettex 150. Even though I'm an Eshopps fan I have read they are very hard to dial in with relationship to the water level. Thanks everyone. I have been you tubing everyone's suggestions...thanks again...

Amoo
06/08/2015, 06:08 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm leaning towards the Vettex 150. Even though I'm an Eshopps fan I have read they are very hard to dial in with relationship to the water level. Thanks everyone. I have been you tubing everyone's suggestions...thanks again...

I will admit to say I'm not surprised to see you upgrading so soon.

I'm running a 125 with a 75 sump as my main atm and still love my Reef Octopus skimmers. You have a build thread going for your new setup?

cincyjim
06/08/2015, 06:26 AM
I have a Reef Octopus and I'm very pleased with it.

scooter31707
06/08/2015, 06:47 AM
JNS or Aquamaxx

kenpau
06/08/2015, 06:57 AM
I've only owned Reef Octopus and Tunze skimmers in the past before my recent upgrade. I always spend 'more' on a skimmer as it is probably the one piece of equipment you don't want to go cheap on.
My latest skimmer is an RLSS DB10i and this thing is amazing, whisper quiet, so efficient, pulls an awesome amount of skimmate from my tank. Not cheap but I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for in this hobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDQ38U5yvts

Sgt Jonny Cat
06/12/2015, 12:38 PM
I will admit to say I'm not surprised to see you upgrading so soon.

I'm running a 125 with a 75 sump as my main atm and still love my Reef Octopus skimmers. You have a build thread going for your new setup?

Hi Amoo, no build thread yet. I am still in the process of convincing the wife why I need a bigger reef tank. But as soon as I do that I'll post my progress...

d2mini
06/12/2015, 02:14 PM
Don't make the same mistake as many others.
Get the LifeReef sooner rather than later.
At the very least, read the info provided on his website and all the customer testimonials.

ericarenee
06/12/2015, 02:44 PM
I just ordered my first skimmer ever, so my opinion isnt worth much, but i corresponded with the guys at BRS and told them which ones i was looking at, and they Suggested the Skimz, so i went with that, mine is a bit overkill for your tank, but the build quality seems to get great reviews, but the ones with DC pumps seem to have trouble.

What skimz model did you get.
I just got the sm201 internal. It is built very well and super Quiet. My tank has very super low nutrient values so for me i can not tell its doing much more then the other skimmer. But its hard to tell because its Collection cup is Way WAY Larger.
So my Question
If you have one with gate valve on bottom. HOW Far do you open this in relation to the Amount of Air you give the skimmer. I have tried both about middle then fine tune . Gate open wide and air closed mostly. and Air near wide open and gate Closed. it seems to do the same no matter. This skimmer is also rated from 210 to 533 gallon of water i have about 250 ish ..