PDA

View Full Version : Safest way to remove Anemone from rock?

XtremeFromHell
06/05/2015, 02:05 PM
What is the safest way to remove an anemone from a tank? It just dropped down to a rock last night so its on a rock, i dont know how hard its grabbed on there since it just moved there. Im fed up with it stinging my corals and now has ate my emerald. any suggestions?

Dkuhlmann
06/05/2015, 04:33 PM
Try holding the rock upside down in the water and see if that doesn't work. THere is no good way to remove them if they want to be on it.

Dkuhlmann
06/05/2015, 04:35 PM
LOL I just banned my emerald crab to the sump for eating two fish and two peppermint shrimp.

Irishdolphin
06/05/2015, 04:58 PM
Holy crap, what fish did he eat? I was thinking of getting an emerald crab but your post just put a halt to that idea! Presume he'll receive a lengthy sentence for such a rampage?

Sk8r
06/05/2015, 05:07 PM
They're a crab and as they grow they get nippy. Males are allegedly worse than females, but my certified female nipped a mandarin. Just opportunity---they're not given to deep thought, just impulse.

XtremeFromHell
06/05/2015, 05:43 PM
Yeah my emerald would extend its claws out to fish passing by but the anemone got the best of him

Dkuhlmann
06/05/2015, 06:23 PM
After the last time he shed, he got HUGE and ate the next two fish I put in my tank. Two royal grammas. Bastard! Oh and now none of the lfs within 200 miles of me have a royal gramma. :(

eddiereefs
06/05/2015, 08:01 PM
That blows dkuhl, i just got a royal gramma. Sooo much character blends in perfect. Btw try the power head method, u just point a low flow power head directly at it until it moves, when it does peel it off

Toxic45
06/08/2015, 10:34 AM
That blows dkuhl, i just got a royal gramma. Sooo much character blends in perfect. Btw try the power head method, u just point a low flow power head directly at it until it moves, when it does peel it off

I like this method, but with a slight twist. I would try to isolate the rock that it's on and put the rock on the sand by itself. The powerhead should make it move off the rock and "walk along the sand." Once it's on the sand you can just pick it up because it can't anchor itself to anything besides the little grains/chunks.

Amoo
06/08/2015, 03:44 PM
Not on topic at all, but on the off-topic. Mr. Crabby Pants, as we've named him has claimed 2 Shrimp, a large lawnmower blenny and some other sand sifting fish I forgot the name of. I didn't realize what was happening until it was too late. I suspected him, but didn't think Mr. Pants would take to such tom-foolery. I also did not expect him to get my lawnmower blenny that was almost 4 times his size. Let's not even talk about the only snails left in my DT are Nass or the tiny FLorida Ceriths...

Sadly I can't ban him to the sump as I have my black ice and a small yellow tang in there and if he got my black ice I would be pretty POed. It also doesn't hurt his cause that he's one of my favorite things in the tank.

XtremeFromHell
06/08/2015, 06:57 PM
That sucks! So far just one death for me.. I've left the anemone in there still, it's moved away from the corals but is now on the top opened up robbing light from my monti cap

ThRoewer
06/09/2015, 02:04 AM
After the last time he shed, he got HUGE and ate the next two fish I put in my tank. Two royal grammas. Bastard! Oh and now none of the lfs within 200 miles of me have a royal gramma. :(

Gramma loretos and even melacaras are fairly easy to come by (at least here). Just imagine those would have been some rarer species like G. linki or G. dejongi - the latter will hopefully be available soon.

BTW, are you sure the crab killed the fish? Often they just eat them after they died. Though the male emeralds seem to be more predatory. I kicked my emerald male out after he took a bite out of some corals.

As for the anemone removal: if the rock can be taken out hang the anemone upside down over a bucket. The bucket should contain just as much water for the anemone's foot to be out of the water. After a while it should just drop off.

juniorrocketdad
06/09/2015, 04:36 AM
Sorry were jacking your thread but my emerald killed my pair of frostbite clowns and my orange spot goby, I was a little ****ed off and when I was getting him out of the tank he was holding on to a rock and I ripped one of his legs off by accident, it made me feel bad but he is still alive in a different tank. And I would listen to throewer

Dkuhlmann
06/09/2015, 05:52 AM
Gramma loretos and even melacaras are fairly easy to come by (at least here). Just imagine those would have been some rarer species like G. linki or G. dejongi - the latter will hopefully be available soon.

BTW, are you sure the crab killed the fish? Often they just eat them after they died. Though the male emeralds seem to be more predatory. I kicked my emerald male out after he took a bite out of some corals.

As for the anemone removal: if the rock can be taken out hang the anemone upside down over a bucket. The bucket should contain just as much water for the anemone's foot to be out of the water. After a while it should just drop off.

I didn't even consider the first RG disappearing to the crab. I went out of town for a week and Anne fed and watched my tank. She saw the crab chasing the peppermints all over with his claws out trying to grab them. Well one at a time they were gone. NOTE: I recently saw one of my peppermints int he sump. With the second RG it was very healthy eating good and always out front. Then it found it's sleeping place and the crab was always there trying to grab the little guy. Next day RG gone without a trace. Yes I'm positive he at the last RG the rest are speculation.

The Emerald crab now lives in the sump and is doing well. He can eat all the nasty blue legged hermits that have found their way south by being murderess bastards :D

I've since gotten some scarlet legged hermits and I highly recommend them. They are peaceful and cleaning machines.

XtremeFromHell
06/09/2015, 02:13 PM
Well I still have the anemone in the tank, havnt removed it yet. I moved away from the zenia thankfully but now is near my montipora cap. It at the top of my rock work and is shading the montipora. I think im going to need to move the montipora.. frustrated

Amoo
06/09/2015, 02:29 PM
Since we spent so much time hijacking (enjoyably btw, one of my fav threads in a while) your thread maybe we can help? What kind of Nem are we dealing with here? If you say BTA well sorry it's kind of what they do, but if not maybe a FTS and nem species and we can maybe give you some idea locations.

XtremeFromHell
06/09/2015, 06:35 PM
Since we spent so much time hijacking (enjoyably btw, one of my fav threads in a while) your thread maybe we can help? What kind of Nem are we dealing with here? If you say BTA well sorry it's kind of what they do, but if not maybe a FTS and nem species and we can maybe give you some idea locations.

lol I did not mind the hijack..

The anemone is a "Sun Anemone" Stichodactyla helianthus.
And btw I have to of these!

Ill post up a FTS now

XtremeFromHell
06/09/2015, 06:39 PM
Here is FTS
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn6/antvette13/Mobile%20Uploads/DDCAC9B6-EFAC-4B8E-85E6-AF6B2054897A_zps1phynbry.jpg~original (http://s300.photobucket.com/user/antvette13/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DDCAC9B6-EFAC-4B8E-85E6-AF6B2054897A_zps1phynbry.jpg.html)

Here is the Nem next to the montipora cap.. the zenias recovered fine
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn6/antvette13/Mobile%20Uploads/DB7D36CB-A75D-43C7-A3AF-054DF964ECBE_zpssopuqgka.jpg~original (http://s300.photobucket.com/user/antvette13/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DB7D36CB-A75D-43C7-A3AF-054DF964ECBE_zpssopuqgka.jpg.html)

Dkuhlmann
06/09/2015, 06:56 PM
That coralline is SWEET!

Have you tried directing a power head directly on the nem? That one on the glass would be a cinch to get off.

XtremeFromHell
06/09/2015, 07:05 PM
That coralline is SWEET!

Have you tried directing a power head directly on the nem? That one on the glass would be a cinch to get off.

Thanks! It's a 5 year old system!

The one on the glass hasn't really moved at all, it's the larger one that roams and kills lol

Amoo
06/09/2015, 08:00 PM
Definitely not one of the Nems in my wheelhouse, but I know they HATE flow. Have any spots in your tank that are barely moving that you could post him up in?

Dkuhlmann
06/09/2015, 08:04 PM
That rock it's on doesn't appear to be that big. I'd just pull it with the rock and replace the rock :D

Ratpack
06/12/2015, 01:10 PM
One method I used to remove my BTA was to rub an ice cube at the base of the foot. Don't hold it on it as it will cause damage. Just rub it back and forth. It will irritate it and it will start to release. Once a spot has released then you can rub under the foot and eventually it will be off. It takes a bit of time, but has worked so far for me. My last one took about 45 minutes, but it was down in a crevice, yours looks much easier to get to.

OCReeferr
06/13/2015, 09:59 AM
I used the powerhead method on one of my nems this week after it split. Thanks for the tip.