PDA

View Full Version : Outlet on sump is 3/4" I want to upgrade to 1"

Mike_D
06/05/2015, 05:25 PM
My question is what's the best way to drill out the existing outlet so I can fit a 1" bulkhead. I'm running a Little Giant 4-MDQX-SC pump so I'm trying to get the maximum flow from it. Any suggestions would be helpful.

billdogg
06/05/2015, 05:42 PM
If it's acrylic, just use a standard hole saw. To get it started easier, without wandering, duct tape a piece of scrap wood on the inside for the center drill bit to bite into first.

If it's glass, use a diamond coated hole saw. To keep it from wandering, use a piece of scrap wood on the outside with a hole in it the same size as the bit. Make sure you keep it flooded with water while drilling.

sleepydoc
06/05/2015, 05:47 PM
+1 to what billdogg said. before drilling the bulkhead, try just upgrading the rest of the plumbing to a larger pipe size to see if you're happy with the flow. the ¾" bulkhead will still restrict somewhat, but a ¾" bulkhead with 1 or 1.25" plumbing will still flow better than it would with ¾" pipes.

Mike_D
06/05/2015, 09:14 PM
Thanks bulldog. That piece of wood is a good idea for the guide bit to grab cause that was my main concern.

My bulkhead is already leaking so I have to replace it so I'd rather just do it all at once. Instead of having to tear the filtration apart again.

billdogg
06/06/2015, 03:58 PM
so the tank is acrylic? That makes drilling simple. Just don't go so fast that friction causes the acrylic to melt as you are drilling and you will be fine.