PDA

View Full Version : How to qt fish with TTM correctly? Is this ok way?

Tylerdg
06/06/2015, 10:21 AM
Hello I plan to qt for 4-6 weeks. I was looking into the TTM method, and also prazi for most fish. At first I was thinking of doing the TTM, and then the prazi. But how long after getting fish into the QT tank should you actually start the TTM? Should you wait a few weeks before you even start it and let them settle a little bit into QT? If thats the case can I do the prazi first and then do the TTM with the last transfer being into the DT? I know you transfer them every 3 days to a fresh QT, but it would seem like transferring them over and over after they just come from a LFS would be pretty rough on them. which way would be the best to run TTM and Prazi?

snorvich
06/06/2015, 10:29 AM
Here (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388428) is everything you need to know about tank transfer. Transferring fish is not hard on the fish and it is critical to observe fish for four weeks after tank transfer (especially if your LFS runs copper in their system)

Tylerdg
06/06/2015, 10:35 AM
Here (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388428) is everything you need to know about tank transfer. Transferring fish is not hard on the fish and it is critical to observe fish for four weeks after tank transfer (especially if your LFS runs copper in their system)

ok thanks! Ive read some articles on how to do it, but didnt know u had to observe after it too. During the observation time after can I run Prazi and it be ok? And I was just asking because every1 said transferring fish was hard on them so needed to get clarification on that i guess :D

snorvich
06/06/2015, 10:41 AM
ok thanks! Ive read some articles on how to do it, but didnt know u had to observe after it too. During the observation time after can I run Prazi and it be ok? And I was just asking because every1 said transferring fish was hard on them so needed to get clarification on that i guess :D

You can also run prazipro during tank transfer. The reason you run tank transfer is to totally eliminate ich from the equation. The reason you must observe afterwards is twofold:

+you want to build an eating response in a new fish without competition or harassment

+you want to insure that one of the other parasites that may have been masked by a low level of copper is not present

Using a colander to transfer fish is not at all stressful; some people just use their hand.

Tylerdg
06/06/2015, 10:48 AM
Ok thanks so much, i plan to use two doses of prazi on the fish that it wont effect, I heard wrasses dont handle it so well, so id pass on them if need be. And You feed less during QT? So Id Get the fish into a QT tank on day 1, transfer them day 3, dose prazi, transfer day 6, transfer day 9, run prazi, and transfer on day 12 and observe for 4 more weeks for other diseases? Does this sound correct?

homer1475
06/06/2015, 12:17 PM
I'm doing the prazi in a separate QT after I did the TTM, but my DT has to lay fallow for 72 days. I have plenty of time to run 2 rounds of prazi in the QT.

snorvich
06/06/2015, 12:38 PM
I'm doing the prazi in a separate QT after I did the TTM, but my DT has to lay fallow for 72 days. I have plenty of time to run 2 rounds of prazi in the QT.

That works equally well. Suggested interval is one week apart.

homer1475
06/06/2015, 12:45 PM
A week apart?

I was planning on doing one now when out of TTM(Which I am doing), then another round just 2 weeks before going back into my DT?

snorvich
06/06/2015, 01:05 PM
A week apart?

I was planning on doing one now when out of TTM(Which I am doing), then another round just 2 weeks before going back into my DT?

Well, here is a post (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21547152&postcount=11) from a highly knowledgeable person. Note the need to oxygenate the water!

homer1475
06/06/2015, 01:28 PM
No, I totally believe you, of all people. I just didn't realize it had to be done like that, I guess I thought it was ok to do the two rounds a couple weeks apart. Good thing I'm just finishing the first week.

I actually read that post/thread, and have a small skimmer and bubble wand in my QT because of it. :thumbsup:

Newsmyrna80
06/06/2015, 07:58 PM
Read the flukes stickie in the fish parasite stickie for detailed information as to the flukes lifecycle. It'll give you a better understanding of why Prazi should be dosed, on average, 7 days apart.

snorvich
06/06/2015, 08:10 PM
Read the flukes stickie in the fish parasite stickie for detailed information as to the flukes lifecycle. It'll give you a better understanding of why Prazi should be dosed, on average, 7 days apart.

And that can be found here. (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388423)

ilikefish34
01/13/2016, 01:20 PM
snorvich - I have read your sticky and it mentions throwing out the air stones after each use. I assume this is because of their porous nature--can they not be left dry for a week (longer) or exposed to extreme temperatures (hot or cold) that could render them safe? Not that this is a huge expenditure in an expensive hobby, but I prefer not to waste them before their usefulness has run out.

Not trying to hijack the thread.

The edit is because I just noticed the date of this thread... should've started a new one myself or responded to something more current.

Thanks for all you do here
Mike

ThRoewer
01/13/2016, 02:18 PM
Airstones should be fine after a good soak in freshwater followed by drying them thoroughly. You could add bleach to the soaking water to be extra sure.
Putting the airstones in hot (over 70°C) or boiling water should also kill all cysts.
Same goes for the airline tubing.

Since they are cheap I would just get a few sets so that you always have sterile airlines and airstones ready to go.

bat21
01/14/2016, 09:16 AM
Ok, so I am going to try TTM with my next fish purchase. Now that my tank is a year old, and filled with familiar pets, my fear of introducing ich has grown exponentially.

It is going to be very tough for me though, due to the fact that I live in a one bedroom apartment, with a cat. So not only do I have very little space, I have to find space that is not accessible by the cat who loves to mess with anything she can get her paws on. This basically equates to one high dresser that houses my QT when it is setup. I use a 5 gallon QT bc it's really all I can fit. So for TTM I am going to buy two 2.5 gallon tanks. All the fish I buy are very small. Max 2-3". But I simply have to cut corners in order to do this, and I think for 12 days, they can handle that size tank.

My question is about feeding. Since you are supposed to start TTM immediately, this is obviously before the fish is comfortable and eating, and then on top of that, doing two rounds of prazi can decrease their appetite as well. How much do you feed during TTM? I worry about this issue since I have dealt with getting newly acquired fish to eat when they aren't being moved every 3 days or on medication.

Also, it's ok do do this with multiple fish at once, right? My next purchase is probably going to be 3 tiny gobies. Can I put them all through the same TTM together?

ilikefish34
01/14/2016, 10:45 AM
Ok, so I am going to try TTM with my next fish purchase. Now that my tank is a year old, and filled with familiar pets, my fear of introducing ich has grown exponentially.

It is going to be very tough for me though, due to the fact that I live in a one bedroom apartment, with a cat. So not only do I have very little space, I have to find space that is not accessible by the cat who loves to mess with anything she can get her paws on. This basically equates to one high dresser that houses my QT when it is setup. I use a 5 gallon QT bc it's really all I can fit. So for TTM I am going to buy two 2.5 gallon tanks. All the fish I buy are very small. Max 2-3". But I simply have to cut corners in order to do this, and I think for 12 days, they can handle that size tank.

My question is about feeding. Since you are supposed to start TTM immediately, this is obviously before the fish is comfortable and eating, and then on top of that, doing two rounds of prazi can decrease their appetite as well. How much do you feed during TTM? I worry about this issue since I have dealt with getting newly acquired fish to eat when they aren't being moved every 3 days or on medication.

Also, it's ok do do this with multiple fish at once, right? My next purchase is probably going to be 3 tiny gobies. Can I put them all through the same TTM together?

If the fish was eating in the store, then it should in QT before the first transfer and the prazi can be introduced in the first transfer after the fish has already shown that it is willing to eat. Make sure you are using an air stone during the process--probably all you need for flow in a 2.5 gallon.

As far as the gobies, what kind and what size is tiny? I feed my fish in TTM as much as I would feed them in my DT--basically, whatever their needs are. Excess food can be siphoned out with small diameter tubing and ammonia can be helped out with Prime. I would be more concerned about water quality in the 5 gallon QT tank than the 2.5 TTM since it's getting 100% water changes.

Not sure if it makes a difference to your room requirements, but you can do the TTM in five gallon buckets--not as good for observations (you'll still be able to tell if they are eating) but it would only take up floor space. And the footprint would be more desirable for most fish for this process--I'm not sure there are many 2-3 inch fish that would do well in the 2.5 for two weeks--that stressor alone could cause some feeding issues.

Good Luck
Mike

snorvich
01/14/2016, 11:54 AM
Airstones should be fine after a good soak in freshwater followed by drying them thoroughly. You could add bleach to the soaking water to be extra sure.
Putting the airstones in hot (over 70°C) or boiling water should also kill all cysts.
Same goes for the airline tubing.

Since they are cheap I would just get a few sets so that you always have sterile airlines and airstones ready to go.

This. I just buy extra rather than hassle with sterilization.

bat21
01/14/2016, 12:06 PM
If the fish was eating in the store, then it should in QT before the first transfer and the prazi can be introduced in the first transfer after the fish has already shown that it is willing to eat. Make sure you are using an air stone during the process--probably all you need for flow in a 2.5 gallon.

As far as the gobies, what kind and what size is tiny? I feed my fish in TTM as much as I would feed them in my DT--basically, whatever their needs are. Excess food can be siphoned out with small diameter tubing and ammonia can be helped out with Prime. I would be more concerned about water quality in the 5 gallon QT tank than the 2.5 TTM since it's getting 100% water changes.

Not sure if it makes a difference to your room requirements, but you can do the TTM in five gallon buckets--not as good for observations (you'll still be able to tell if they are eating) but it would only take up floor space. And the footprint would be more desirable for most fish for this process--I'm not sure there are many 2-3 inch fish that would do well in the 2.5 for two weeks--that stressor alone could cause some feeding issues.

Good Luck
Mike

2 clown gobies, an inch apiece, and a rainford's goby 1.5-2". They will all be from LA, so I won't be able to see them eat before I get them.

I can't use the buckets because I have to keep the containers on an almost 5 foot tall dresser. Anything on the floor and the cat would be too curious. So I need a clear container to observe them.

Does anyone offer the service of TTM & Quarantine? I'd pay for that in a second. I'm just so limited with what I am able to do.

snorvich
01/14/2016, 12:08 PM
Does anyone offer the service of TTM & Quarantine? I'd pay for that in a second. I'm just so limited with what I am able to do.

Some maintenance companies offer that but only for fish they supply.

ThRoewer
01/14/2016, 12:45 PM
2 clown gobies, an inch apiece, and a rainford's goby 1.5-2". They will all be from LA, so I won't be able to see them eat before I get them.

I can't use the buckets because I have to keep the containers on an almost 5 foot tall dresser. Anything on the floor and the cat would be too curious. So I need a clear container to observe them.

TTM with small or even tiny fish can be done in very small containers. I've done it for pipefish in Container Store shoe boxes (1 gal) or large Lee's specimen containers, just hanged into another tank and add a small pump or airstone.

In those cases I usually only feed some live food to avoid messing up the water. Tigger pods are ideal.

bat21
01/14/2016, 12:57 PM
TTM with small or even tiny fish can be done in very small containers. I've done it for pipefish in Container Store shoe boxes (1 gal) or large Lee's specimen containers, just hanged into another tank and add a small pump or airstone.

In those cases I usually only feed some live food to avoid messing up the water. Tigger pods are ideal.

I hadn't considered pods. That's a great idea. Thanks.

And the Lee's specimen container is an interesting idea as well. I'm going to continue brainstorming on the best way for me to tackle TTM. Appreciate the input.

slosht
01/14/2016, 02:17 PM
Another container option for you if you are limited in size would be those clear critter keepers with the colored plastic lids. They have a circle you can punch out to put airline in.

Obviously you wouldn't want to pick them up by the handle when moving but they do come in a variety of sizes.

ThRoewer
01/14/2016, 02:55 PM
Another container option for you if you are limited in size would be those clear critter keepers with the colored plastic lids. They have a circle you can punch out to put airline in.

Obviously you wouldn't want to pick them up by the handle when moving but they do come in a variety of sizes.

I use those too. The lid comes in handy for notorious jumpers.

bat21
01/14/2016, 03:18 PM

I like that idea even better. Always nice to have a cover to prevent carpet surfing and protect from 4 legged furry animals.

bat21
01/14/2016, 03:43 PM
I use those too. The lid comes in handy for notorious jumpers.

Is it ok to put a heater meant for up to 10 gallons in a container that size?

ThRoewer
01/14/2016, 03:55 PM
Is it ok to put a heater meant for up to 10 gallons in a container that size?

I use those containers hanged into another tank, usually the QT the fish come from. That tank has the heater.

By leaving the heater outside the TTM container you also remove one point of failure and one piece of equipment to sterilize.