PDA

View Full Version : CARX reviews Aquamaxx and Skimz

Bpb
06/08/2015, 09:19 AM
Yet another CARX thread by me. If it annoys you, move along lol. If you want to help, I'm in your debt.

Two units at very attractive price points are the:

Aquamaxx Star S1 Calcium Reactor

Skimz Monster CM122 Calcium Reactor.

Comparably priced and they look very pretty but how well do they work? I can find basically zero real world reviews of either unit. I know the Skimz is fairly new, but the aquamaxx has been out for a little while now. I know the gold standard for small/medium sized tanks is the GEO, but I'm curious to know if anyone has any info on the function of the above two mentioned.

The aquamaxx runs from a vaccum feed, with the circulation pump actually having an intake line as well. While it's nice to have such a simplified design, it seems like it would be prone to clogging and inconsistent flow rates with the effluent based on the condition of the media? Am I wrong?

The skimz looks fairly similar in design, with the cone shaped top to concentrate CO2 for recirculation, but requires a feed pump...but comes with a small secondary PH scrubber chamber for additional media.

Leaving out the advice of the masterflex pump, and the aquarium plants carbon doser as the best options aside from the reactor itself, does anyone have info on these particular CARX units themselves? Any design flaws or red flags I'm not seeing?

d2mini
06/08/2015, 10:10 AM
I would just pick up a GEO.
Proven design, built well, good value, 1 year warranty, made in the USA.

troynel
06/28/2015, 05:07 PM
Any other opinions on this reactor?

troynel
06/29/2015, 06:58 PM
No one?