PDA

View Full Version : right decision?

3dees
06/08/2015, 11:00 AM
been looking for one for some time. a heniochus diphreutes and not an acuminates. hoping someone will confirm. added to my dt from qt two days ago. I have softie and some lps and would like to keep them. so far it doesn't seem to even notice the coral. eats like a pig and didn't take long to get acclimated to the tank and other fish.

3dees
06/09/2015, 11:04 AM
no one? where are the bf experts?

Dkuhlmann
06/09/2015, 11:59 AM
I've kept them as well as many other butterflyfish but they were in a fowlr tank. I believe that the heniochus are hit or miss with corals. For now it sounds like you're good, but never know when they will flip the switch. I had several species of butterflyfish and loved them all.

Heniochus is one of my favorite fish and I called them my "nurse" fish. They will clean other fish in the tank just like cleaner shrimp and cleaner fish do. I've got too small of a tank and too many mixed corals for me to have any butterflyfish. I don't want to get another big tank as I'm not interested in doing the maintenance of them. So my next "big" tank and last tank will be a 40b.

eatbreakfast
06/10/2015, 04:47 AM
The fish in the pic are H. diphreutes. They are a "safer" choice than acuminuatus, but are no guaranteed to be completely safe. The corals on your list should be pretty safe.