PDA

View Full Version : Advice on equipment that will be compatible with Apex controller

joshbrookkate
06/08/2015, 06:59 PM
I plan on getting an Apex controller in the next few months. But in the meantime I want to set up an auto water change system of some kind. My main goals are tank water parameters stability and elimination of the lugging of pails of water to and from the tank.

Is there equipment that will not be compatible with the Apex? Not sure yet what other questions to ask. Just exploring right now. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Michelle

vhuang168
06/08/2015, 07:21 PM
Many have used Neptune's DOS as an auto water change system.

joshbrookkate
06/08/2015, 07:43 PM
Do you think I would be able to use it before I get the controller?

Michelle

joshbrookkate
06/08/2015, 07:44 PM
I also have 2 BRS dosing pumps that I haven't used yet. Would that work for the water changes? And would they be compatible with the Apex?

chicagoreefer20
06/09/2015, 06:04 AM
Hmm - how would that work? One dosing pump slowly pumping out water and one slowly pumping in water? The apex would just be programmed to turn each dosing pump on and off so should work fine. Many people use the brs dosing pumps with the apex to dose.

homer1475
06/09/2015, 06:33 AM
Why not just buy a decent ATO?

No need to hook it up to the apex. Just bought an apex myself, and really can't see any advantage to having an ATO hooked up to it. Only possible advantage I can think of is an overfill(float valve stuck on so it keep filling). Maybe use one of the leak detectors? Leak detected it shuts off the ATO? Not sure exactly hat your trying to accomplish by hooking it up to the apex.

Sn8kbyt
06/09/2015, 07:03 AM
Op was asking about Automatic Water Change not Automatic Top Off.

If your going with an Apex, then the Apex DOS is the way to go. I would do water changes manually until you get the apex and can afford the DOS. I change almost 100 gallons a month with my DOS and it is spot on.

homer1475
06/09/2015, 07:24 AM
Sorry I misread, disregard my previous post. Yes the DOS from apex would be perfect for auto water changes, and automated through the apex.

vhuang168
06/09/2015, 07:45 AM
I believe you can setup the brs dosers to do the same thing with Apex.

LobsterOfJustice
06/09/2015, 07:59 AM
Yes, you can set up the brs dosers to do an awc with apex, and with some testing/tweaking, you can set it up with timers until you get the apex.

Additionally, because it was mentioned above, there are plenty of benefits to running an ato through the apex instead of as a standalone system. With a standard ato it can add additional levels of fail safe protection. It also allows you to set up dosing-based topoff, which is aided by (although doesn't rely on) switches. My apex is able to test if any of my switches get stuck in either position and send me an email.

Sn8kbyt
06/09/2015, 08:56 AM
Yes, you can set up the brs dosers to do an awc with apex, and with some testing/tweaking, you can set it up with timers until you get the apex.

Additionally, because it was mentioned above, there are plenty of benefits to running an ato through the apex instead of as a standalone system. With a standard ato it can add additional levels of fail safe protection. It also allows you to set up dosing-based topoff, which is aided by (although doesn't rely on) switches. My apex is able to test if any of my switches get stuck in either position and send me an email.

Yes you can do AWC with BRS dosers with an apex but at almost $200 for the pair of dosers, and for the cost and the known fact that they are less than accurate, don't last long, I think it is better to save that money and buy the DOS once you have the apex if your going to buy one anyway.

LobsterOfJustice
06/09/2015, 10:29 AM
Yes you can do AWC with BRS dosers with an apex but at almost $200 for the pair of dosers, and for the cost and the known fact that they are less than accurate, don't last long, I think it is better to save that money and buy the DOS once you have the apex if your going to buy one anyway.

OP said goal was to set up an AWC system now that can be used without the apex and then move that system to an apex once he has one. DOS can not be used without the apex. OP also said he already has the BRS pumps.

joshbrookkate
06/09/2015, 10:41 AM
OP said goal was to set up an AWC system now that can be used without the apex and then move that system to an apex once he has one. DOS can not be used without the apex. OP also said he already has the BRS pumps.

+1
But I appreciate hearing about all of the options and others experiences, too. I'll be able to make a more informed decision. Thanks, everyone!

One more question about the Apex and compatibility. Will I need to purchase replacements for equipment such as my Eshopps skimmer, eheim heater, jebao WP 25s, tunze ATO in order for them to be effectively connected to the Apex?

nuxx
06/09/2015, 11:46 AM
Using the DoS here with an Apex for automatic changes.

Using an Avast Marine ATO.

Both work great.

hkgar
06/09/2015, 12:21 PM
+1 on DOS for AWC and Avast for ATO. The Avast tells the Apex to turn on my Cole Parmer dosing pump. I use that pump because I can run it at 500ml

dougchambers
06/09/2015, 04:21 PM
One more question about the Apex and compatibility. Will I need to purchase replacements for equipment such as my Eshopps skimmer, eheim heater, jebao WP 25s, tunze ATO in order for them to be effectively connected to the Apex?

No replacements needed for your equipment list. Each of those are simple on/off devices controlled via an APEX controlled outlet bank(s). As others have pointed out, the ATO can run stand alone or integrated. You can stagger re-starts, create multiple feed cycles, OCAPS to turn off lighting, pumps, etc. Then as a bonus, you can have the controller send you a status update every day at a given time to confirm it is on the net and communicating. LOVE our APEX controller even more now that it is dynamically controlling our TUNZE's and KESSIL's!

Sn8kbyt
06/10/2015, 08:14 AM

He didn't say what size BRS pumps he has. Only the larger ones can do AWC unless you have a 5 gallon pico tank.

OP do you have the 50ml/min BRS pumps already or the 1.1ml/min BRS pumps?

hkgar
06/10/2015, 02:37 PM
No matter how you try to get around it, to do AWC, you need to either control the amount of flow and use a timer for on off. If you were to run the pumps 24/7 then you need to know the flow rate. Even with the BRS pumps they need to be controlled, either witha timer or a human paying attention to shut them off.

1MP3R1AL
06/10/2015, 02:44 PM
Everything is compatible with an apex.

If you have 2 float switches, 2 of the same pump, and 1 aqualifter you can have a fully customizable auto water change and auto top off system if you are willing to put some time and programming into it.

andrek787
06/10/2015, 03:39 PM
Pacific Sun Kore 5th dosing pump/controller has built in AWC and ATO functionality. I am not sure if you can set it up the same way in APEX, but the way Kore5th does AWC, is that every hour, it pumps out a specified volume of water from the sump and pumps in fresh water until the level returns to high position. There is a calibration step where the flow rate of each pump is recorded. There is optional DC pump AWC for larger tanks.

joshbrookkate
06/11/2015, 05:38 PM
He didn't say what size BRS pumps he has. Only the larger ones can do AWC unless you have a 5 gallon pico tank.

OP do you have the 50ml/min BRS pumps already or the 1.1ml/min BRS pumps?

Not sure what size. I'll check. Thanks so much everyone for the advice! It's really helping.

joshbrookkate
06/11/2015, 05:40 PM
Pacific Sun Kore 5th dosing pump/controller has built in AWC and ATO functionality. I am not sure if you can set it up the same way in APEX, but the way Kore5th does AWC, is that every hour, it pumps out a specified volume of water from the sump and pumps in fresh water until the level returns to high position. There is a calibration step where the flow rate of each pump is recorded. There is optional DC pump AWC for larger tanks.

That sounds like what I am hoping to achieve. Thanks for the info.

Michelle