PDA

View Full Version : Unresolved Issue on a Brand New SpectraPure Select Membrane

Conceyted
06/09/2015, 11:45 AM
I want to start by saying that I have been a long-standing customer of SpectraPure, and I have used SpectraPure filters, membranes, and equipment almost exclusively for the last 10 years being in the hobby. The troubles that I have had with orders from SpectraPure have always been resolved quickly and painlessly by the great support team and SpectraPure has typically provided what I would describe as good customer service.

A year ago I began advising a friend who was relatively new to the hobby. I did my best to educate him on various aspects and over time we built a trust relationship which led to him buying various products solely based on my recommendation. He purchased a brand new MaxCap 2:1 90GPD RODI system and used this for a year before exhausting and replacing the full set of filters. He noted that the TDS after RO membrane had increased over the last year and decided he wanted to buy a new membrane to reduce his TDS back down to the 1 TDS (99% rejection) he had become accustomed to seeing. On my recommendation, he purchased a new 99% Select Membrane directly from SpectraPure and installed using the directions that came with it. He noted that the rejection rate on his new membrane was actually considerably lower than the 99% advertised rate, instead showing approximately 96%, and I insisted that he contact SpectraPure, as my experience dictated they would fix it without much of a hassle.

Fast forward two weeks... SpectraPure has been responding to emails, but, to date, has not resolved the issue. Past that, the most recent response from SpectraPure appears to suggest that my friend should be happy with a 98% rejection rate out of these tested membranes. To start, the rejection rate we are experiencing puts this brand new, tested select membrane near 96% rejection rate. Past that, a SpectraPure representative attempting to convince us that 98% should be considered acceptable, while SpectraPure publishes the following detail across the internet is quite confusing:
Is a one percent increase over our old SpectraSelect membrane really worth it you ask?
Refer to case #2 below; showing a one percent increase at these high levels of rejection DOUBLES the life of your DI! Or in other words cuts your DI costs by half!
Case #2 Impact of going from 98% to 99% rejection on typical feed
Raw Water TDS (270) 98% rejection (5.4) 99% rejection (2.7) Improvement 200% DI Life DOUBLED

Perhaps a 99% rejection rate was too much to expect, and I now understand that the minimum rejection rate on the "99% Select Membranes" is actually 98%. At this point we would be happy with 98% rejection rate. However, the bigger point I am attempting to make here is that I have major concerns. I have been recommending SpectraPure to friends and family and do not take recommending products/brands lightly. My research and past experiences dictate that SpectraPure would and should handle this sort of issue very quickly and painlessly. However, my friend's experience this time around has fallen quite short of this.

I want to see this result in a happy outcome and I hate having to take to public forum in order to get there, but I worry that at this point whether or not my friend will see a satisfactory outcome if I do not do so. As I see it now, my recommendation has caused my friend wasted time and energy and some undue stress and I want to do what I can to make this right.

Please make this right.

SpectraPure
06/09/2015, 12:46 PM
Christopher-
Thank you for taking the time to speak up on this issue.
I asked our techs what was going on, and the tech handling the issue said that there were still several unresolved factors he needed the customer to work with, and that in his opinion had we simply sent a replacement membrane, they would not likely resolve the customers core problem(s).

He also thought the customer was going to respond to his last posts on the thread so he could further assist (such as a water report request).
Our tech sincerely wants to solve the problem, and in his experience, simply sending a membrane would not do that. It sounds like the customer expectation was for an immediate replacement.

The spec for our 99% membrane is >98%. We are the only company with this spec to our knowledge. The others are >97%.
We tested the membrane your friend has before we sent the membrane out in the system, and it was rated above 98.5% (ie 99%).
This is why our tech is so interested in identifying some other factor(s) as to your lack of performance as he knows the membrane met spec before it went out to the customer.

However, at this point, with the level of frustration you are experiencing, your sense of immediacy in effecting a repair, and the reluctance to proceed further with a methodical approach, it would be best to send me the membrane (Bruce) carefully wrapped to prevent it from drying, and I will replace it no charge and provide you with our test results (which include performance and failure mode analysis).

I want to reiterate my support for my techs analysis, as I too am concerned that if I simply send a replacement, some other factor still present will only return us to the same performance issue.
That is one reason I test every 99% membrane before they are shipped out. I know, and our techs know they are good before they are sent.

In any event, I want to help rescue our reputation and our reputation for top level support We are trying, believe me.
I also want to get to the bottom of your friends system issues in view of the rejection issue promptly and fairly.

Send to

Bruce
c/o spectrapure
2167 east fifth street
Tempe az

If you send me an address I will send a replacement so he has something to test while his original is in transit to me so he can make water in the meantime.

Respectfully
Bruce

Conceyted
06/09/2015, 01:46 PM
Christopher-
Thank you for taking the time to speak up on this issue.
I asked our techs what was going on, and the tech handling the issue said that there were still several unresolved factors he needed the customer to work with, and that in his opinion had we simply sent a replacement membrane, they would not likely resolve the customers core problem(s).

He also thought the customer was going to respond to his last posts on the thread so he could further assist (such as a water report request).
Our tech sincerely wants to solve the problem, and in his experience, simply sending a membrane would not do that. It sounds like the customer expectation was for an immediate replacement.

The spec for our 99% membrane is >98%. We are the only company with this spec to our knowledge. The others are >97%.
We tested the membrane your friend has before we sent the membrane out in the system, and it was rated above 98.5% (ie 99%).
This is why our tech is so interested in identifying some other factor(s) as to your lack of performance as he knows the membrane met spec before it went out to the customer.

However, at this point, with the level of frustration you are experiencing, your sense of immediacy in effecting a repair, and the reluctance to proceed further with a methodical approach, it would be best to send me the membrane (Bruce) carefully wrapped to prevent it from drying, and I will replace it no charge and provide you with our test results (which include performance and failure mode analysis).

I want to reiterate my support for my techs analysis, as I too am concerned that if I simply send a replacement, some other factor still present will only return us to the same performance issue.
That is one reason I test every 99% membrane before they are shipped out. I know, and our techs know they are good before they are sent.

In any event, I want to help rescue our reputation and our reputation for top level support We are trying, believe me.
I also want to get to the bottom of your friends system issues in view of the rejection issue promptly and fairly.

Send to

Bruce
c/o spectrapure
2167 east fifth street
Tempe az

If you send me an address I will send a replacement so he has something to test while his original is in transit to me so he can make water in the meantime.

Respectfully
Bruce
Bruce,

First, thank you and Jeremy for all of your help thus far. Also, thank you for your offer to replace the membrane. As you've stated, SpectraPure has developed a methodical approach to resolving issues such as this, so it is only fair that we give you all a chance to follow the standard procedures you have developed.

I am working with my friend right now to get all of the data you've requested and the four of us: you, Jeremy, my friend, and I can all work together via email to resolve any potential issues my friend has with his 11 month old MaxCap system. I will be drafting an email response soon with all of the information that Jeremy requested and we will do whatever we can to move forward with troubleshooting.

Thanks again for your response and I look forward to working with you.

SpectraPure
06/09/2015, 04:54 PM
Thank you very much. We will resolve this quickly.

Jeremy

SpectraPure
06/23/2015, 12:58 PM
Hi-
can you pm us if you still require help? Our email trail on this got tangled and we are not sure if this was resolved satisfactorily. We want you happy, and your system operating as efficiently as it can for you.

Conceyted
06/23/2015, 01:00 PM
Everything still stands unresolved. We have emails from SpectraPure asking us to await a package which was being sent to us but we have never received it.

You prefer that I PM you instead of using the email chain we have been using over the last couple of weeks? PMing you now...

SpectraPure
06/23/2015, 01:14 PM
I see it now. Thanks. Let me get with our technical support and get this taken care of. It looks like we dropped the ball somehow.
bh

SpectraPure
06/23/2015, 01:21 PM
Hello-
Jeremy just sent you a hand tested 99% rejection membrane so you can then pull out your existing membrane and send it back to the factory for us to test.

Jeremy's offer to further examine your operating conditions via our tech line stands:
". Please call me when it arrives, and I can teach you how to extend the life of the filters. The system can operate at 2:1 without scaling the membrane on a soft water source, however the specification to achieve 99% has different criteria to be met. I am looking forward to your call when the package arrives.
Thank you very much for supporting our product and company. It is greatly appreciated!
480-894-5437 ext3.
Jeremy"

Sorry for our mix up, we both thought it had been sent, and as you can see it was not. Our mix up here. Still, we want to help you get to the bottom of this issue.
Thanks for the opportunity.
bruce

SpectraPure
08/03/2015, 02:53 PM
This issue has been resolved. I have shown the end user that the membranes performance will meet the performance under the criteria specification. We are now working on a low cost solution to the issue at hand.

Jeremy

Conceyted
08/03/2015, 03:00 PM
Jeremy has been very thorough in diagnosing our issues. We've determined that the water quality in our area is not ideal for the 99% RO rejection, even though we're seeing under 200 TDS. Like Jeremy reports, we're hoping to find a cost effective solution to get these select membranes to 99%. Looks like we will need water softening or a booster to get us there, but we're very satisfied with the level of support we have received.

SpectraPure
08/03/2015, 03:09 PM
Thank you very much!

Your loyal support is greatly appreciated! We will get there together for sure! If anyone else is experiencing lower rejection than expected please email me at [email protected]!

Jeremy

SpectraPure
08/17/2015, 01:01 AM
Chris,

When I tested a booster pump at 54 psi and 180 tds feed at 4:1 I got about 4-5 tds, and when I bumped it up to 75 psi I got less than 2. Now the water softener is the ultimate solution, but this booster pump should get you almost as close. I will provide a quote for 2 booster pump kits at a discount as promised! You should expect the quote tomorrow.

Jeremy

Conceyted
08/17/2015, 06:39 AM
Thanks, Jeremy. Looking forward to your quote.

Conceyted
08/24/2015, 03:18 PM
Spectrapure really did go above and beyond for both TJ and I. We're now experiencing lower rejection rates and I should be lower than 99% once this booster gets here and installed.

Thanks to Jeremy and Bruce both.

SpectraPure
08/25/2015, 12:23 PM
=)

Thanks to both you and TJ!

Jeremy