PDA

View Full Version : Achilles tang

Blaker
06/09/2015, 10:02 PM
Ok, so I'm getting my 220 up and running shortly and I always wanted an achilles tang but I don't know if I should try one. I hear they are very hard to keep but people that have one say their not to bad. But my idea was if I get one I'm gonna put him in the 220 by himself for couple weeks so no other fish will stress him, what do you guys think?

kenith
06/09/2015, 11:37 PM
Ok, so I'm getting my 220 up and running shortly and I always wanted an achilles tang but I don't know if I should try one. I hear they are very hard to keep but people that have one say their not to bad. But my idea was if I get one I'm gonna put him in the 220 by himself for couple weeks so no other fish will stress him, what do you guys think?

Achilles are not hard at all to keep for a long period of time. With that said, your tank must be disease free as they get stressed extremely easy and succumb to diseases.

I'm on my second Achilles (sold my first after 2 years) and he is eating selcon soaked pe mysis and nori very aggressively.

ca1ore
06/10/2015, 06:34 AM
Yes, the designation of the Achilles tang as 'expert only' is simply an industry wide conspiracy to dissuade people from buying them .....

I'd suggest that it is indeed a difficult fish to keep. Many do not eat, and come in with ich. Buying a healthy fish is key, as is QT.

Dmorty217
06/10/2015, 12:20 PM
+1^ QT with proactive treatment of some sort for ich is a must (TTM,CP,etc...) great water quality and HIGH flow are a must to keep the AT healthy and thriving

nuxx
06/10/2015, 12:48 PM
Once QTed, eating and healthy they are great fish.

Like said, try to keep stress down and flow up.

Holsteiner
06/21/2015, 09:19 AM
I've had mine for over 4 years now, one of the hardiest fish I've had. He was about 3 1/2" when we got him and he's about 7 1/2" now.

nuxx
06/21/2015, 01:14 PM
I've had mine for over 4 years now, one of the hardiest fish I've had. He was about 3 1/2" when we got him and he's about 7 1/2" now.

Must be keeping super delicate species ;)