PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater mixing station location?????

All Seas
06/10/2015, 11:12 AM
Hey guys,

I am in the process of moving into a new house and need to select a spot to put my mixing and rodi equipment. As mush as I would love a fish room, the layout in the house doesn't allow one.

Previously, I have always had my mixing stuff in the garage with water supply and drain near the laundry machine. In this house, the garage is external with no water present and the laundry room is too small for my 30 gallon brutes plus misc stuff.

My options are:
-run water to the garage somehow and keep the same set up

Or

- utilize space in the utility closet

I like the closet idea since it is closer to the tank and has water/drainage already. My only concern is the boiler and how water heater are in there and I'm not sure what the salt in the air can do to them. I would only be using the room to make rodi water full time and mixing salt water once a week or so in a brute container with lid.

Any opinions?

KingTriton1
06/10/2015, 12:12 PM
Filtering water and storing it in the garage is fine, but I personally would never have the RO/DI unit placed permanently in the garage. Heat will affect the RO member. My garage gets up to 120 degree when the doors are shut. Maybe having the RO/DI mounted in the fish room for when its not in use and having a mount in the garage for whenever it is in use. I would keep the stored water and mixed water in the garage regardless, but esp. if it is close to the main tank. This is what my setup consist of.

d2mini
06/10/2015, 12:17 PM
Both my ro/di and mixing station are located in the garage here in houston.
Has been for several years.
No issues at all.
Although, I do small automatic water changes every day so it's a tiny amount of water which doesn't alter the water temp of the tank.
Your containers should have lids so I don't think saltwater in the air should be a problem.

slief
06/10/2015, 12:30 PM
My tank is right next to an exterior backyard wall. Since I didn't really have the room inside the house, I had a 8'x6' shed built in the backyard that backs up to the wall behind the tank. I then ran 1.5" PVC lines in from the shed into the space behind the tank that function as a conduit for the plumbing and electrical for the tank and Apex controller. It's worked out great as I have a pair of 100 gallon holding tanks in there for RODI and Salt Water, my RODI unit, my Calcium reactor, my Stenner ATO pump and my Genesis Renew automatic water changer. All out in the shed plus I have a bunch of storage space for spare equipment and supplies. That said, if I had a nice large fish room, that would have been ideal but since most of my equipment is under my tank, the shed has worked out great.

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/Calcium%20Reactor/image_zpsffsdj5lp.jpg

All Seas
06/10/2015, 04:20 PM
I am mainly looking for opinions on if the utility equipment would be ok exposed to "salt air"

All Seas
06/12/2015, 09:28 AM
Any other advice?

tharkins
06/12/2015, 09:47 AM
Sounds like either will work for you...I would just do whatever is more convenient and makes your life easier.

Mine is in the garage as it provides plenty of space, if I spill some water from time to time its not really a big deal either.

d2mini
06/12/2015, 10:21 AM
I am mainly looking for opinions on if the utility equipment would be ok exposed to "salt air"

As long as your containers are closed, no problem.
If they are open containers, everything will rust and you will need a dehumidifier.