PDA

View Full Version : high phosphate in old tank

michael guenther
06/11/2015, 12:19 AM
the biggest problem with rising phosphate is in older tanks over 5-7 years.
high rang of phosphate can be treated only efficiently with lanthanum, from my experience.
the reactor that i build do not let the precipitants get in to the water.
the question is, if except the precipitants if there is other damage except those

bertoni
06/11/2015, 03:50 PM
As long as all the precipitate is trapped and the phosphate level is dropped slowly, the tank should be okay. What is the level now?

karimwassef
06/11/2015, 05:12 PM
True. Take a few weeks of slow dosing.

Many coral that have adjusted to high phosphates can get shocked when the level drops very quickly.

I took in several damaged pieces from a fellow reefer who's tank had been neglected for a year with high nutrients. Most did well and immediately started to grow on my rocks, but some died suddenly in the exact same conditions.

michael guenther
06/11/2015, 11:08 PM
thank's, after measuring the first 2 days, it drops from 1.40 to 0.79, now after reducing the amount of lanthanum, after 3 days it is 0.72.
can be an influence on calcium and alk. because it drops a little?

michael guenther
06/11/2015, 11:12 PM
thank's, after measuring the first 2 days, it drops from 1.40 to 0.79, now after reducing the amount of lanthanum, after 3 days it is 0.72.
can be an influence on calcium and alk. because it drops a little?

karimwassef
06/11/2015, 11:17 PM
Big drop. Watch for any zebrasoma tangs breathing heavily. My purple was very sensitive.

bertoni
06/11/2015, 11:26 PM
Lanthanum chloride can precipitate with carbonate, so it can drop the alkalinity. I'd keep up the lanthanum, but I'd drop the dose to ⅓ or so of the current dose, and see how that goes.