PDA

View Full Version : Getting back in the hobby...

Greybeard
06/11/2015, 12:16 PM
Starting fresh, wanting to do things right, and hoping for some input from those who haven't been away.

I've kept everything from a betta bowl to a large, in wall room divider reef system over the years, been keeping fish of some sort or another since the early 80's. About 10 years ago, I shut down my big reef system... Aptasia, Grape Calurpa, and ugly green mushroom corals had taken over, killed off everything else, I was just over it. Sold everything aquarium related that I owned (at a _huge_ loss), and called it quits.

Now, I find myself missing the reef hobby. Don't want anything too large, and I have serious intentions of doing things slow, steady, and safe. I found out long ago that buying cheap means buying again... not a good way to save money, so I want to fully research what I'm buying before spending the cash.

I'm considering a 60g cube. About the right size for the location I want to put it, big enough to be stable, small enough to maintain. Probably going with a perfecto frame-less with the corner overflow. It'll be away from the wall, in an inside corner, with enough room to walk all the way around it, so I really don't want a lot of piping and such outside the tank. I've looked at SCA, DBP, and CADLights... There's some bad reviews on all of them... Perfecto is a known quantity, at least. I've got a quote request in at GlassCages as well... We'll see.

So far, I'm looking at the following: A Trigger sump, Reef Octopus skimmer, and AquaticLife Halo lighting. If anyone has any strong opinions pro or con on these, feel free.

Going to go with all dry base rock. My aptasia problems started with a live rock purchase, and I want to actually 'sculpt' and glue up my rockwork, rather than just piling up rock again. Glue is one thing I'd like some recommendations on... I'm thinking 2 part epoxy putty, but open to suggestions.

Substrate: Back when I put together my last reef, DSB was all the rage... had 300lbs of Southdown sand in that system. Looks like the current trend is for a little under an inch, cover the bottom, pretty much. Fine by me. Are the bagged 'live sand' products worth looking into?

Since I'm using base rock, I'm going to need a micro flora/fauna starter... Used to use Inland Aquatics for that type of thing. Is there someplace else I should be looking?

How about additives? Are the two part calc/alk dosing products like BIonic still the way to go? Had a CO2 reactor before, not going to be doing that again.

On livestock, I'm planning to limit corals to SPS only. Mixed never worked out so well for me. In no hurry, probably go with ORA frags, buy nice ones, and let 'em grow. Perhaps a clam. Squamosa, probably. I notice that Clams Direct is gone... any recommendations for sourcing healthy clams? Probably stick with a few small fish, perhaps a pair of clowns, some gobys, blennies, dottiebacks, that sort of thing. Nothing large, or aggressive. Hopefully captive bred.

Long 1st post... Sorry 'bout that :)

ryeguyy84
06/12/2015, 07:19 AM
Welcome back!

I have a DBP 60G cube tank and so far so good. I think it's been 2 years, I can't remember.

the biggest issue I had setting up my tank was the sump. I don't know what size trigger you were thinking of but if you have the standard stand you only have 23 inches of space. I ended up using a standard 10G tank and I added a 5 gallon custom refugium to put in front of it and then dosing containers and an ATO reserve.

I'm using a reef octopus skimmer and I went with an ecotech radion for lights and 2 MP10's for flow.

for Sand I would look into Tropic eden. it's not live but it has been the cleanest sand I've ever used.

Bionic is still around but I think most people either make their own or use BRS bulk product.

Greybeard
06/12/2015, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the response!

Glad to hear that you like your DBP, there's a bunch of negative reviews on them, SCA, and Cad Lights, never sure how much credit to give that type of thing.

I'm still planning, but I think I'm going to end up with the tank in the middle of a custom built stand that extends 6-8" past the tank on all sides... Probably with ceramic tile surrounding the tank. Give me a place to set a coffee cup while I'm looking at my tank. It'll also give me a good deal more room under the tank for a bigger sump, etc.

I'll take a look at Tropic Eden sand. If I use dry sand, I'll probably pick based on color and particle size. I was really wondering if the so-called 'live' sand that they are selling these days was worth it. I can't imagine how much 'life' is on it, after sitting for however long in a warehouse somewhere.

Make your own Calc/Alk dosing liquid? New one on me... Love to hear more about that.

danrobberg
06/12/2015, 08:54 AM
I'm in the same boat you are. Sold all my stuff 5 years ago at a huge loss due to having to move out of state for a while for work. I'm getting back in it now but as you are, I'm doing it slowly and correctly. Not rushing any purchases so I can afford to buy the right equipment not what I can afford at the time. I'm going with a 93 rimless cube. I have the same questions about sand that you do. I've used the bagged live sand in the past but couldn't tell you if it did anything or not. As far as dosing goes I've been doing a lot of research also. I'm either going to go with the balling method using tropic Marin balling salts or use bionic. The thing to remember is that the ones you mix yourself may oray not contain the trace elements that bionic and the balling salts have. If you want sps I would agree with the other poster about the radion LEDs. They were my second choice after ghl Mitras (I'm a sucker for things made in Germany) I'm also on the same page as you with the rock work. I've always used live rock but don't want to deal with any pests. Looking forward to seeing other posts on your thread.

saltyskier
06/12/2015, 11:14 AM
To seed your tank, I would find another reefer with established rock to bring some biodiversity to your dry rock.

ryeguyy84
06/12/2015, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the response!

Glad to hear that you like your DBP, there's a bunch of negative reviews on them, SCA, and Cad Lights, never sure how much credit to give that type of thing.

I'm still planning, but I think I'm going to end up with the tank in the middle of a custom built stand that extends 6-8" past the tank on all sides... Probably with ceramic tile surrounding the tank. Give me a place to set a coffee cup while I'm looking at my tank. It'll also give me a good deal more room under the tank for a bigger sump, etc.

I'll take a look at Tropic Eden sand. If I use dry sand, I'll probably pick based on color and particle size. I was really wondering if the so-called 'live' sand that they are selling these days was worth it. I can't imagine how much 'life' is on it, after sitting for however long in a warehouse somewhere.

Make your own Calc/Alk dosing liquid? New one on me... Love to hear more about that.

I've heard bad things about it too but once I actually saw it the tank in my opinion is really well made. your stand sound ideal, the extra few inches will make a world of a difference.

I've had live sand, and dry. . . in the end it all ends up the same you just have to soak the phosphates out of the dry sand. I soaked it in RODI water that I changed out every 3 days in a 5G bucket until I read 0 phosphates. took about 3 weeks.

Info on the DIY Alk/Cal. They are both really easy, you just have to get over the fact you are putting prestone driveway heat into your tank.

http://www.njreefers.org/showthread.php?83627-Baking-Alkalinity-Solution

Greybeard
06/13/2015, 09:03 PM
I will read the threads on cooking your own calc/alk mixture... sounds like a money saver.

1st rendering of tank/stand, with some dimensions, in case anyone is interested. Yeah, I'm going to _plan_ this one out :) Overflow dimentions are a guess... depends on the vender I end up going with, but I like the corner overflow idea for this tank.

http://www.midkiff.us/Render1.jpg