PDA

View Full Version : My fish are dying!!!

CrashFlow
06/11/2015, 08:20 PM
Anyone please help, my fish are dropping like hot cake!!! I’m going nuts.
I just had a Madagascar Butterfly I bought May 3rd I found it 2 days ago dead in tank, leading up he was active and looked fine. It may have been in tank 2 days before I realized it was missing/dead.
Now today, I found my Coral Beauty Angel I bought the same time as butterfly, floating this morning. For the past 3 days he was hiding in the rocks hasnt been eating but looked kind of fat but not sure if I didn’t notice it before or if it’s some type of bloating. Last night he was breathing a bit heavy and I knew come morning something was probably going to happen. I removed him right away.
All other fish seemed fine at 4:30 pm now its 10:00 and 1 of my clowns have a white film on him, and it looks like the other clown is shooing him away were as before they were inseparable.

Nitrates are at zero,
salinity 1.1025,
Temp 78,
dkh 9.9
Calcium 473
Take is 7 months
I don't have an ammonia tester but will get 1 tomorrow, in the mean time any ideas? I changed 20% of the water 3 weeks ago, should I do it again right away?
It's a 125 gallon tank.

I also have this toad stool thing that stopped opening up maybe 4 days ago but I read about them and don’t see it rotting, not sure if it’s doing something or not, my other corals seem fine and there’s 3 other fish that are good so far but I think this is going to keep going… Any ideas?

Jade5051
06/11/2015, 09:21 PM
I'm no expert and your pictures are kind of hazy. Have you looked at pictures of brookynella or velvet? I would start doing a little reading on those two. I'm sure one of the experts will chime in soon but this should give you somewhere to start.

Deinonych
06/11/2015, 09:48 PM
Looks like it might be Brooklynella, but the pictures aren't conclusive. What/when was the last fish added to the aquarium?

ThRoewer
06/12/2015, 02:51 AM
Looks like a well advanced Brooklynella infection to me.
I would do a formalin dip right away and then treat the fish in a HT with Chloroquine Phosphate.
Main tank needs to stay fishless for 6 weeks.

CrashFlow
06/12/2015, 03:22 PM
Well the clown didn't make it the night#@%$#^T%T%$ Dam it... I looked up this Brooklynella and the photos kind of look the same, the other 2 fish the Angel and the Butterfly did not look like this before they died, only the clown as far as I can tell. Anways
I still have in the tank the following.

1 Lg Clown the same is the one that died.
6 Turbo Snails
6 Emerald crabs
4 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
1 Yellow Goby
1 Pistol Shrimp
1 Small Trigger (Can't remember the kind will update later)

I am going to setup a new 29 gallon tank tonight, I should learn to QT before adding them (IDIOT), this is disastrous!!!! I’ve never had a problem like this before and I had a tank for 5 years 7 years ago… Live and learn, I just hope the others stay ok???

The last fish added were on May 3, 2015 and they were

Madagascar Butterfly (Died)
2 - Ocellaris Clown (1 Died OTHER OK)
Coral Beauty Angel (Died)
Royal Gramma – Missing since the Day I put him in the tank (Hiding maybe??? I have no clue)
All these fish came from the same source.

"Main tank needs to stay fishless for 6 weeks. " what does this mean? Remove the rest of the fish? This tank had tons of places to hide and won't be easy to catch them, any other way? Or just don't add anymore?

airtime23
06/12/2015, 04:00 PM
Is your SG really 1.1025? I'm assuming that was a typo...it should be close to 1.025.

Also, I'd check the ammonia level, pronto.

CrashFlow
06/12/2015, 04:25 PM
Yes 1.025

Jade5051
06/12/2015, 08:57 PM
As far as I know there are no other ways to treat brook. You have to remove the fish so you can interrupt the life cycle of the parasite. Without fish the parasite will starve to death. Treat the fish with the med of your choice but that med will most likely kill inverts so it's great that you have started a QT.

Newsmyrna80
06/13/2015, 06:35 AM
Well the clown didn't make it the night#@%$#^T%T%$ Dam it... I looked up this Brooklynella and the photos kind of look the same, the other 2 fish the Angel and the Butterfly did not look like this before they died, only the clown as far as I can tell. Anways
I still have in the tank the following.

1 Lg Clown the same is the one that died.
6 Turbo Snails
6 Emerald crabs
4 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
1 Yellow Goby
1 Pistol Shrimp
1 Small Trigger (Can't remember the kind will update later)

I am going to setup a new 29 gallon tank tonight, I should learn to QT before adding them (IDIOT), this is disastrous!!!! I’ve never had a problem like this before and I had a tank for 5 years 7 years ago… Live and learn, I just hope the others stay ok???

The last fish added were on May 3, 2015 and they were

Madagascar Butterfly (Died)
2 - Ocellaris Clown (1 Died OTHER OK)
Coral Beauty Angel (Died)
Royal Gramma – Missing since the Day I put him in the tank (Hiding maybe??? I have no clue)
All these fish came from the same source.

"Main tank needs to stay fishless for 6 weeks. " what does this mean? Remove the rest of the fish? This tank had tons of places to hide and won't be easy to catch them, any other way? Or just don't add anymore?

Yes, your tank has to remain fishless. Inverts, corals and live rock can stay in tank. The surviving fish must be treated and kept in a qt until the fallow period is up.

CrashFlow
06/14/2015, 11:52 AM
Ok so I lost 1 more Tang, but I started my Hospital/QT Tank last night and got the remaining fish out an into the QT Tank.

It's a 29G Biocube, Right now I have just 1" of sand in the bottom is this ok or should I remove it?
I had some live rock in there but since removed it, this tank is visible in my house so even though it’s a QT tank IF possible I would like it to look somewhat nice if possible...
However if it needs to have nothing in it at all I will remove the sand as well?
So question can a QT/Hospital tank
a)Have sand in bottom?
b)Have Live Rock?

Also I still have some shrimp and crabs and snails in the tank not to mention tons of corals but they all seem fine and as I read they can stay, I do have 1 Yellow tail goby that hides with the pistol shrimp, he seems happy and not sure how to ever catch him? Is he ok or do I have to find a way to remove him as well?

Nina51
06/14/2015, 12:22 PM
if you are going to treat with medication then yes, the sand will have to be removed.

your goby will have to be moved to your qt/ht. when we say "fishless", that's just what it means. even one fish left behind will effect your outcome. that's if he even lives.

CrashFlow
06/20/2015, 07:04 PM
I have what I believe is a Toadstool Leather Coral, that hasn’t opened up in almost 3 to 4 weeks now, now after all these issues with my fish dying I’m wondering if this has any correlation with the fish?

I can’t get a photo of these critters because there so small but on top of the leather it is growing what looks like algae on it and there’s these little clear things running around on top of it at least 20 to 30. There maybe 1/8th long and 1/16 wide. I can’t see any legs or feet but again there really small but they move pretty quickly but I haven’t seen any of them leave the leather but not 100% sure. Any ideas what they are and should I just get rid of the toadstool or is it ok? I've looked at the Pix & Critters post but they don't really resemble anything there, although those photos I googled could be microscoped.

All the other corals in the tank are actually really vibrant an flourishing so I’m really confused?

Also found what looks like baby clear shrimp that were floating on top of the water the other day dead. Not a lot of them but I’ve never added things like small thing like this before.

thax
06/21/2015, 09:00 AM
Sounds like you have something worng with your water. Take.a water sample to a lfs your test kits could be off. You could be having chemical warfare going on to or the leather could be dying and making a ammonia spike.

Fish diseases do not affect corals or inverts

Dkuhlmann
06/22/2015, 05:11 AM
Those are some type of "pods" on your leather and it sounds like your leather is going to shed. It will need good lighting and lots of flow in order to shed. If in a low light and low flow area it will take much longer. Should only take 2-3 days if the leather is in a proper flow area of your tank The algae on them is normal as well as the pods eating it.