PDA

View Full Version : Question on possible dirt or brown algae in salt mixing drum?

Dundermifflin
06/12/2015, 06:35 PM
Is it normal to get brown algae in salt mixing drum? What can I do to minimize it? Have 55 gallon drum. There's a lid on it so not much room for dirt to get in. Inside are two pumps-one is to circulate and the other is to pump out to sump. Moved the drum out today to add PVC to something and saw it at the bottom of the barrel. Was in some of the pipes, but not on the sides of the drum. The water that comes out is crystal clear though.

The drum sits in the tank room where there is no sunlight and very little dust (if any). It's mostly kept dark in there. Could it be because I may have had mixed saltwater and kept it in there for a week at a time (although I have a pump circulating 24/7).

ericarenee
06/12/2015, 07:01 PM
0Is it normal to get brown algae in salt mixing drum? What can I do to minimize it? Have 55 gallon drum. There's a lid on it so not much room for dirt to get in. Inside are two pumps-one is to circulate and the other is to pump out to sump. Moved the drum out today to add PVC to something and saw it at the bottom of the barrel. Was in some of the pipes, but not on the sides of the drum. The water that comes out is crystal clear though.

The drum sits in the tank room where there is no sunlight and very little dust (if any). It's mostly kept dark in there. Could it be because I may have had mixed saltwater and kept it in there for a week at a time (although I have a pump circulating 24/7).

what brand of salt are you using.. I have this issue right now . I ran out of my brand of salt and ran to lfs to get some. All they had was Instant ocean (ickkkk) Caused brown foamy algae looking substance at the top of my 55 gal tank at the water line . Someone on Google plus told me it was some type and Anti Clump agent in that salt that causes it...

Reefingmark
06/12/2015, 07:07 PM
Moisture + dark = mold. I've found that leaving my mixing container cracked after use until it drys out works best for me. After it drys I close it up tight. Just a thought

thegrun
06/12/2015, 08:17 PM
Sounds like calcium carbonate. Unless your salt has organics in it like amino acids there is no reason to keep the water circulating, doing so will cause the calcium to combine with the alkalinity and leave you with a deposit of calcium carbonate (and less calcium and alkaline in the water). This is particularly prevalent in the reef salt mixes which are higher than normal salts in calcium and alkalinity.

mfaso24
06/12/2015, 08:31 PM
It's usually anti clumping agent as mentioned before. I too get this in my mixing barrel mostly on the bottom.

Dundermifflin
06/13/2015, 09:02 AM
I use Instant Ocean? For Fish Only should I use something else? Is this brand of salt causing this? What can I do to stop this from happening?

mfaso24
06/13/2015, 09:29 AM
I use Instant Ocean? For Fish Only should I use something else? Is this brand of salt causing this? What can I do to stop this from happening?

It's not dangerous I really wouldn't worry about it. The only salt I've heard of that doesn't do this is the tropic Marin bioactif which is super expensive. It's made of all natural and organic stuff I believe.

ryeguyy84
06/13/2015, 11:39 AM
Just clean it out every once in a while and it'll be fine.