PDA

View Full Version : The big 3 are steady but what else do you dose?

terrypercula
06/13/2015, 06:29 AM
I want to have a thread about what else people are dosing. I'm to the point where keeping Alk, Cal and Mag stable is easy but what else are you dosing and why? Looking to take things to the next level. :beer:

disc1
06/13/2015, 07:19 AM
I keep the big 3 stable by dosing but water changes and feeding pretty well take care of everything else.

I don't know that the "next level" is dosing more things. To me it is more about lighting, flow, and controlling nutrient levels.

terrypercula
06/13/2015, 12:28 PM
I hear people talk about various trace elements they dose, vitamin c, etc. Nutrient export isn't an issue for me so I don't really have any N03 or P04 issues. I'm not too worried about my flow at all. Lighting I'm planning on changing soon but I wouldn't say it's necessarily an issue. Just curious what else people dose on here, if anything.

bertoni
06/13/2015, 12:30 PM
You could consider dosing silicate for sponges, although it's not clear how much it'd help. People also dose trace elements to try to change coral coloration, although I'm not sure how well that actually works. Is there any goal you have in particular?

terrypercula
06/13/2015, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't say anything in particular but I feel you can always do a little more. A little better coloration, a little better growth, a little better polyp extension. Again more or less curious what others were dosing and why.

Scorpius
06/13/2015, 08:20 PM
I dose water changes. :lol: The old adage if you can't test for it then don't dose it applies to additives.

davocean
06/13/2015, 09:38 PM
Maybe strontium if you are trying to boost coraline, otherwise really nothing else for me.

tmz
06/13/2015, 09:59 PM
Just calcium hydroxide for alk and calcium; vodka and vinegar for organic carbon. 1% daily water changes and food for everything else. I test potassium ,iron , iodide and magnesium occasionally and they maintain goods levels without any specific dosing.