PDA

View Full Version : Dosing alk

fishorfishin
06/14/2015, 09:44 AM
All started 10.5 few weeks ago using rscp. Two weeks in, no water changes, it went to 8, a week later, now, its 7.5. I haven't dosed anything, thinking I should use 12 grams of baking soda. (According to the calculator it should raise 100 gallons 1dkh)

I recall adding reef buffer to a tank a while back with a pinpoint ph monitor, and the ph would jump up, and fall down. Does this spike with ph show what happens with alkalinity? Meaning will it raise up, just to fall back down like the ph did? Is baking soda just a temporary fix?

Thanks

downbeach
06/14/2015, 09:55 AM
No, the pH is an idicator of CO2. If you use soda ash(baked baking soda) as the supplement it will raise the pH temporarily, but once the CO2 in your system reaches equilibrium with your household atmosphere it will go back to its base level. If you use plain baking soda it may slightly lower the pH(since it contains CO2), but again it will equilibriate with the atmosphere and return to its base level. In both cases your alk will remain at the elevated level, depending on your dosage.

fishorfishin
06/14/2015, 10:05 AM
So is that a good starting amount to raise from 7.5 to 8.5?

tmz
06/14/2015, 10:05 AM
Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate ( NaHCO3). Baked baking soda/soda ash is carbonate (CO3)

Carbonate alkalinity looks like this:

CO3< > HCO3 < >H2CO3.

When you add more carbonate the proportions shift to the right . PH rises;

Then in a relatively short time , CO2( adding H as it hydrolizes contributes to the acidc side of the continuum) equilibrates with the water from the air bringing the pH back to or close to where it was before the addition. You usually get higher alkalinity with just about the same pH.

snorvich
06/14/2015, 10:12 AM
Baking soda is sodium bicraboante( NaHCO3). Baked baking soda/soda ash is carbonate (CO3)

Carbonate alkalinity looks like this:

CO3< > HCO3 < >H2CO3.

When you add more carbonate the proportions shift to the right . PH rises;

Then in a relatively short time , CO2( adding H as it hydrolizes contributes to the acidc side of the continuum) equilibrates with the water from the air bringing the pH back to or close to where it was before the addition. You usually get higher alkalinity with just about the same pH.

Great explanation from Tom!!

tmz
06/14/2015, 10:21 AM
See edit I meant to say left.; more coffee .

fishorfishin
06/14/2015, 12:16 PM
So is that a good starting amount to raise from 7.5 to 8.5?

Would I be on the right track, or should I bake it first?:dance:

outssider
06/14/2015, 05:00 PM
no need to bake....

bertoni
06/14/2015, 09:22 PM
If your tank needs a bit of a pH boost, baking is fine. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.