PDA

View Full Version : Sudden issue with chalices

uscgbeachbum
06/14/2015, 11:00 PM
I've got 6 chalices in my tank. While my tank is quite bare I hope to eventually have a zoanthid garden with a handful of chalices. I've been slowly increasing my led light intensity by 1% per week. Started at 60% and hoping to Jumpstart my zoanthid growth with more light. So about a week after my last increase (currently sitting at 64%) my mummy chalice lost all color. I dropped it to the sand bed. The next day my watermelon chalice did the same thing. All other chalices and corals look fine. No temperature, ph, or salinity spikes. I did a full battery of tests and showed a slight dip in alkalinity at 8.5 when I usually have around 10.5 to 11. I've since done a water change. Tonight I noticed my mummy and watermelon chalices still have a slight feeding response with some very small tentacles out. Color has not returned. Any ideas?

scooter31707
06/15/2015, 06:22 AM
IMO, that's still too much light for them, I have T5s on 24 inch deep tank and I still have to completely shade them for them to color up. they do not require much light at all. All of mines are under overhangs.

uscgbeachbum
06/15/2015, 08:28 AM
Interesting. The confusing thing for me is the sudden onset of it. Everything was looking great.

Tweaked
06/15/2015, 10:45 AM
sudden changes to all your chalices = something wrong obviously. Check water params, temp, salinity etc. The change could of been a week prior and your seeing the results now. Too many variables as I'm sure you aware of.