PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning used tank

Martini5788
06/15/2015, 09:10 AM
In a few days when I get home from a trip, I
Am going to start cleaning the used tank that I am getting. My plan was to use vinegar and magic erasers. Is there a better way to get a used tank looking brand new? Once I get it cleaned, I will also be taking a very close look at the silicone and am needing some guidance as to what EXACTLY to look for as to whether it will need to be resealed or not. I already bought momentive rtv 103 black silicone just in case it does need to be resealed. The tank is 210 gallons. Thanks!

coralsnaked
06/15/2015, 09:25 AM
Do not plan to reseal unless you are going to scrape out ALL the existing silicon utilizing scraper and Acetone, and reseal the entire tank not only parts of. Silicon sticks to glass only and not old silicon, .

billdogg
06/15/2015, 09:32 AM
Congratulations on the new (used) tank!

If it's just run of the mill buildup, vinegar and perhaps a razor blade will work just fine. If it's more crusty, you can use muriatic acid, but it must be done outdoors, and you will need eye protection, heavy duty gloves, and clothes you don't like anymore.

As for the silicone - before you rush to reseal it, do a leak test. A week or so full of vinegar/water will do that for you. If it isn't leaking, don't fix it. Just removing the silicone on the inside seams really won't do a thing as far as sealing it goes anyway. That silicone is there for cosmetic purposes only. If the tank is leaking, it will have to be completely dis-assembled, all 5 panels will have to be cleaned of all traces of silicone, and then re-assembled. It is not an easy task for a small tank, and a nearly impossible one for someone who has not done the job before, especially with such a large tank and the risk of failure.

hth

ca1ore
06/15/2015, 09:40 AM
Just removing the silicone on the inside seams really won't do a thing as far as sealing it goes anyway. That silicone is there for cosmetic purposes only.

+1. Silicone between the glass panels is what provides the 'seal' and structural strength. Any leaking means the structural silicone is compromised and that's not a good thing.

ericarenee
06/15/2015, 10:09 AM
To Clean the glass i use bleach water and a Razor blade . holding it flat against the glass with two fingers in front of the blade when close to the silicone to prevent getting under it.. Bleach will rinse out cleanly ..

As far as the silicone goes you cant Reseal only part unless you have the exact same adhesive formula... If you do tear it down and reseal it. Then save some and need to repair a area later you can do this By taking some Adhesive remover made for silicone adhesives in a tiny spray bottle. Spray it on the area you wish to go over with new sealant and test for it to become tacky. Once it has Re apply the new sealant over that area but be sure to not let it go into any area you have not used the adhesive remover on. I learned this trick From watching Glazes working on Structural glass fronts on high rise construction...But since there are so many different adhesive types and who knows what they used on your tank.. I would NOT Reseal over whats there even with the above method as explained .

Martini5788
06/15/2015, 10:19 AM
Ok that's what I will plan to do then. Fill with water and vinegar and leave it for a week and see what happens. From the picture he sent me, it appears to just be normal buildup. What is the normal concentration of vinegar to water to use to clean?

jeromeit
06/15/2015, 10:30 AM
You could always use a 10% bleach solution and rinse out thoroughly and let dry, have been using this method for years.

Martini5788
06/15/2015, 10:35 AM
Will bleach remove the buildup?

criticalencore
06/15/2015, 10:50 AM
I would just scrape the glass and stuff while it's full for the leak test with vinegar water. I'd probably just dump like 5 gallons of vinegar to the 210g and make sure you do the leak test outside.
I bought a 210 off Craigslist and filled it in my garage near the door. It was fine for 5 hours or so before I went to bed but between last checking and the morning the seam split on one corner and let about 100g into my garage which could have been ugly if it was somewhere it could have damaged.

If you do the bleach after you rinse it out I'd let it sit in the sun a couple days

julie180
06/16/2015, 06:17 AM
I would check to see if the "buildup" comes off with vinegar before purchasing. Used tanks have a tendency to be etched, which can look like buildup, but is actually damage to the glass that can't be repaired.