PDA

View Full Version : E-Marco-400 reef rock putty questions

hotelbravo
06/16/2015, 03:55 PM
Hello all, I am moving to a new home in 2 weeks and will be tearing down my tank for the move. i was wanting to use some sort of epoxy or putty to bind my rocks together and make them more stable. i will have a few hours to work on the rockwork before i need to fill the tank back up and get my fish back in. the questions i have are has anyone used this product and if so would they use it again or recommend something else?
how long does it take to cure?
will i have time to bind it together before i need to put the water back in?
and can i bind it/cure it fully submerged?

Tommy_13
06/16/2015, 07:12 PM
I used it to create my rock scape. It takes about an hour to set, not sure about fully cured. (I let it cure over night)I used it on dry rock prior to adding water. Worked great, Looks more natural than white putty. Mix up about 1/2 cup at a time, it does start to harden fairly quick. Not sure, but if I remember correctly it will cure while submerged. I will be using it shortly to add some dry rock to my tank.

hotelbravo
06/16/2015, 08:31 PM
awesome good info i just hope someone comes along with knowledge about the submerging or curing while wet part. i do not plan to dry my rock out as i do not want to have any die off or harm the copepods other then the collateral damage on the site where i putty

hotelbravo
06/17/2015, 01:49 PM
anyone?

GSMclowns
06/17/2015, 02:12 PM
It will get hard and start to cure in an hour or so. But it won't be strong enough for you to lift up the rock. If you are not careful, the rocks will fall apart. What kind of corals and fishes do you have in there now? I am not a 100% sure on this but I don't think its a good thing to let it cure inside your tank if you have livestock in it. It could raise PH or alter your other parameters and mess up your tank. I have used it before but never let it cures in my tank. Usually I use it and let it cures for a few days.. and then put it into a RODI buck of water for a few more days before putting it into the tank.

hotelbravo
06/17/2015, 02:49 PM
I have no corals except for GSP which I don't think I could kill if I tried. but I have 2 clowns, a marine betta, flame angel, yellow tang, mandarin, and two firefish. a few snails, hermits, brittle stars, and peppermint shrimp.

hotelbravo
06/18/2015, 02:04 PM
still needing answers.

ViktorVaughn
06/18/2015, 02:09 PM
Pretty sure I remember the directions say to do it out of water and keep dry for at least an hour before submerging again.

hotelbravo
06/18/2015, 03:06 PM
well it would be out of the water and dried off for around an hour before putting the water back in the tank
I could stretch it to maybe 2-3 hours. aslong as it can be curing while submerged after that time frame

m0nkie
06/18/2015, 03:53 PM
I used these several times to make bases for my rockscape. These do not need to be cured. It takes about 30min to dry.. However, I would leave it overnight to completely dry. But if you are in a rush, you can put it inside your DT after 30 minutes.. no PH increase.

they dry quickly outside.. so don't make large batches. I use those red party cups to mix in..

hotelbravo
06/18/2015, 04:46 PM
awesome thanks!