PDA

View Full Version : Parameters way off, help ASAP please

Hellion179
06/16/2015, 06:56 PM
Good evening,
I just arrived home from a 4 hour trip. I picked up a harlequin tusk and a copperband butterfly. My tank runs at 84-85 degrees with a sp of 1.021.

I was told something vastly different than what I have..temp is 80.5 with matching sp for the butterfly...

for the harlequin it's 79 with a sp of 1.016....

I was told both were 82 degrees with a sp of 1.022...

I do not have a QT tank. Do you have any advice?? I've been drip acclimating for 2 hours. I made the mistake of not setting the bags in the tank to temp acclimate..I realized this AFTER I added the butterfly, so he's already in the tank...

Advice please : /

whosurcaddie
06/16/2015, 07:58 PM
Is there a reason you run your tank that hot?

NSW salinty is 1.026.

Every fish should be quarantined. You just bought a very expensive fish and rolled the dice by putting it directly into your DT.

Other than that the fish should be fine drip acclimation of two hours is sufficient. The only thing you should have to worry about now is parasites.

Hellion179
06/16/2015, 08:37 PM
In the process of getting the temps under control. Cebu sun and MH are just too hot. Saving up for LEDs.

Thank you for the advice.

A sea K
06/17/2015, 05:22 AM
84-85 deg temps are certainly at the high end but I would be more concerned with how much the temp is swinging from day to day. What temp is your tank in the morning prior to the MH coming on? If its swinging more than a couple of degrees then I would temporarily install a fan over the sump rigged to a timer to come on with the MH, it's surprising how much evaporative cooling will do and it will go a long way in controlling temp swings as well as maintaining an overall cooler temp till you get your new lights. Just be prepared for more top-off due to the added evaporation.

I agree with raising your salinity also. You did not say what type of system your running but if your using MH for lighting then I would expect you must have some coral and you should indeed raise the salinity to 1.025 or 1.026. Simple enough to do, just use mixed seawater as your top off till you achieve the salinity your after then maintain with RO/DI as you would normally do after target salinity is reached.