PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Issue

iteched
06/17/2015, 01:12 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm setting up a FOWLER tank and have a cycling question:

Current Tank Stats:

55 Gallon no sump - currently have two big marine-land HOB filters.
50 lbs of "Marco" dry rock.
20 lbs of "live" rock purchased from the LFS.
25 lbs of Aragonite "live" sand (the best buy date was March 2016).
about 20lbs of "dry" sand.
Salt mix (Instant Ocean Reef Crystals - got the big bucket for ~$30 on sale at Petsmart - :-))

However, When I started the tank it only had the 20lbs of LFT "live" rock and 50lbs of crushed coral.

I replaced the CC with the sand when I put in the dry rock.

It's been two weeks with the live sand and added dry rock and I'm not seeing any cycling indicators. I'm using the very basic API kit (all the LFS had - haven't ordered the better stuff yet).

I threw in a cube of frozen blood worms about a week ago.

Ammonia, Nitrate, and Nitrite levels are all "0". PH is 8.2

My salinity is a bit high "1.026". I dropped some fresh water in this morning and will test again this evening to see where it is now.

I've been testing every other day for the last few days (about 4 tests so far).

Any advice? Hopefully it is just going slow or maybe already has cycled?

Thanks so much! This forum is fantastic.

Heatherabel3
06/17/2015, 01:19 PM
I am guessing the blood worms got sucked up into your filter and perhaps wasn't enough to start a reaction. Maybe try putting in a piece of shrimp until it begins to decay and you start to see your ammonia level go up and then pull it out.

iteched
06/17/2015, 01:20 PM
Yeah I wondered about that - they have some shrimp at the local grocery store - I'll go by and get some (and maybe fire up the grill too).

:-)

ericarenee
06/17/2015, 01:27 PM
are you sure the tank is not cycled already. The blood works if frozen should have caused some Ammonia . maybe it was converted before you tested..

I would try putting a small amount of ammonia into the tank let it circulate then test.
If it shows up wait for a day and test again. if its gone then your tank just cycled quick. a small piece of shrimp can work as well...

gone fishin
06/17/2015, 01:27 PM
I agree Toss a shrimp in and let nature do its thing. BTW 1.026 salinity is perfectly fine. I have kept mine at 1.026 for quite awhile. Good luck

iteched
06/17/2015, 01:31 PM
are you sure the tank is not cycled already. The blood works if frozen should have caused some Ammonia . maybe it was converted before you tested..

I would try putting a small amount of ammonia into the tank let it circulate then test.
If it shows up wait for a day and test again. if its gone then your tank just cycled quick. a small piece of shrimp can work as well...

I could try that - assuming you are talking about household ammonia.

I'm not in a hurry so the shrimp sounds a bit "safer"....not sure I have any pure ammonia in the house.

I forgot to mention that the tank ran about 2 weeks as originally setup (CC and live rock) before pulling the CC and putting it into the current state.

iteched
06/19/2015, 07:05 AM
Ok - stopped by yesterday and got some shrimp - dropped a chunk of one in the tank.

It is probably too soon to check for ammonia as its only been in there for 12 hours but I'll start testing today.

Wish me luck!

iteched
06/20/2015, 06:24 AM
About 24 hours now (post shrimp):

8.2 PH
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite

Nitrate is now showing - somewhere between 5 and 10 ppm.

I picked up a circulation pump and installed it last night. The HOB filter moves water but I don't think much moves in the lower half of the tank. I put it on the far side (away from the HOB filter) and fired it up. Within a couple of seconds the stationary shrimp piece rolled across the tank and lodged up against my rock.

I'm still puzzled by no ammonia readings....

Dkuhlmann
06/20/2015, 06:41 AM
How large is the piece of shrimp?

iteched
06/20/2015, 07:07 AM
Hmm...I cut a large piece in half - probably about the size of an almond (with shell) - possibly a bit larger.

Dkuhlmann
06/20/2015, 07:15 AM
Put a whole shrimp in like a normal size people shrimp.

iteched
06/20/2015, 07:18 AM
OK - I'll throw one of the bigger ones in...

I think they are about 3 to 4 inches long and about 1/2 to 5/8 wide at the body end of the tail.

That is one less for the grill today....

Dkuhlmann
06/20/2015, 07:41 AM
That's perfect! I'll be over for supper :D