PDA

View Full Version : ATI Sunpower too bright!

BigJohnny
06/17/2015, 10:50 PM
Hey Reefers,

Just hung my 6x39 ati sunpower and it is sooo bright haha. I have it 8 inches above the water because any closer would be too strong on my 50b (18" depth). I am currently running back to front:

Blue +
Purple +
Blue +
Coral +
Blue +
Coral +

my question is, which bulb produces more par, blue + or coral +? I have a spare blue + and an actinic so want to know which ones I should change out to get lower overall par (without sacrificing proper spectrum) so I can lower my light and eliminate some of the ambient spread without torching my corals. I assume blue + is also easier on the eyes than coral plus which is an issue I'm having currently (hurts my brain haha)[emoji12]

Suggestions?

Am also considering a DIY canopy (3 sides left front and right with no back or top) to eliminate some of the ambient spread that way. Anyone have experience with DIY canopy?

Btw here is the spread currently:
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/17/b10efdfd48bf83f6af0f46e60b196c33.jpg

Mark426
06/18/2015, 05:42 AM
Blue+ and Coral + are very close to the same PAR, the Actinic has much less. Lots of people run your light over similar tanks without much trouble. You can always run just one bank of lights most of the time with a shorter period during the day with all of them on.

If it were my tank ....I would stick with a 50/50 Blue+ and Coral+ combo and forget the Actinic.

scooter31707
06/18/2015, 06:32 AM
IMO, you might be ok once you put in the sand and rocks. I would take out a Coral+ and add another blue+

jdraider75
06/18/2015, 07:36 AM
That's what I would do to. Change a coral for a blue.

BigJohnny
06/18/2015, 08:10 AM
Could also do actinic for a coal + eh? Really lower the par. But yea I'll prolly just try another blue guy

BigJohnny
06/18/2015, 08:42 AM
Blue+ and Coral + are very close to the same PAR, the Actinic has much less. Lots of people run your light over similar tanks without much trouble. You can always run just one bank of lights most of the time with a shorter period during the day with all of them on.

If it were my tank ....I would stick with a 50/50 Blue+ and Coral+ combo and forget the Actinic.

Yea its not that it would be a problem with the tank it's that it kind of already is with my eyes and the room haha

ReefTankHunter
06/18/2015, 09:42 AM
Could also do actinic for a coal + eh? Really lower the par. But yea I'll prolly just try another blue guy

Would suggest changing out the coral+ with the actinic. You will have plenty of par with other bulbs.The actinic s do alot more then what people think.For example, might not have much par, but dose have alot of PUR. Will help with color.,especially with acros.

BigJohnny
06/18/2015, 11:27 AM
Would suggest changing out the coral+ with the actinic. You will have plenty of par with other bulbs.The actinic s do alot more then what people think.For example, might not have much par, but dose have alot of PUR. Will help with color.,especially with acros.
Yes that's what I was thinking. Then I'll have 3 blue + 1 coral + 1 purple plus 1 actinic. A nice blend and plenty of par fir a mixed reef