PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer overflowing for few days

pk-sd
06/17/2015, 11:54 PM
I have an Aquamaxx Cones-2 skimmer that I have been happily running for few months. Since last few days, the skimmer starts to overflow within a minute after turning it on. I have already adjusted the output to the lowest water level but it does not help. I also cleaned the skimmer and pump with the vinegar. Am I missing something?

I did feed my tank with Coral Frenzy 3-days ago. It is possible I might have OD by 50%. Is it possible its from the feeding, even though its been three days.

scooter31707
06/18/2015, 06:38 AM
When you say "turn it on", do you not run it every day. Now with my skimmer I have to kind of retune it so to speak when I take it out to do full clean on it. If you are not running in it 24/7, then yes it is possible it could overflow with all nutrients in the water column it's pulling out.

cincyjim
06/18/2015, 09:16 AM
I have the Reef Octopus skimmer and mine did that for about a week after I used hydrogen peroxide. My algae problem was fixed but for some reason the skimmer went nuts to the point I couldn't turn it on because it was overflowing like crazy. So, I guess my question would be other than the coral frenzy, have you added/dosed anything? FWIW, I use coral frenzy once a week and my skimmer is fine with it.

Jim

pk-sd
06/18/2015, 10:42 PM
It was a mixture of coral frenzy and frozen mysis. I have done that mixture many times but this time I think the quantity was on the high side. I did a 20% water change today and skimmer seems to be not overflowing as fast anymore. I will do another 20% tomorrow and maybe it will bring the nutrients level down enough that skimmer will start performing normally. Might replace the carbon also, even though its less than a week old.