PDA

View Full Version : RED SEA ABCD Coral Colors

SLICKTOP
06/18/2015, 06:39 AM
Has anyone used this product to increase color in your SPS? If so please share your experience. :beer:

SpSChief85
06/18/2015, 11:00 PM
Using it now 2 weeks in so we shall see

SLICKTOP
06/19/2015, 04:02 AM
keep me posted chief, I have ok color but my pinks and reds could be brighter. I have never tested or added Iron or potassium. I have been on a heavy feeding schedule to increase color and it seems to be helping but starting to see a little red slime in between rocks. I wanted to see if these supplements would do the trick. thanks

solitude127
06/19/2015, 03:45 PM
I'm using D right now and about 3/4 thru the bottle and I think it's working. My Purple monster was a very pale purple and now it the deeper purple you usually see.

Avenger
06/20/2015, 07:33 AM
i use to use this but just started feeding more and my colors went from pale to rich.

ReefCowboy
06/20/2015, 08:44 AM
Dosed them some years back and think they can do more harm than benefits.
Their concepts are great, but dosing iron for example, is very dangerous for algae out breaks.
Not sure those elements can be tested with the accuracy needed, and a small overage can make a big difference.

SLICKTOP
06/21/2015, 05:44 AM
ReefCowboy, do you dose any iodide, like Lugol's solution? I have a strawberry shortcake that is growing but very pale, and a few other pieces. Other than increased feedings, any other suggestions?

ReefCowboy
06/21/2015, 11:50 AM
ReefCowboy, do you dose any iodide, like Lugol's solution? I have a strawberry shortcake that is growing but very pale, and a few other pieces. Other than increased feedings, any other suggestions?

Slick,

No I don't dose iodine, as a matter of fact only dose ca/alk/mg. I change 15% of the tank water every week. If you use a good salt you should have it all in check.
I also have some strawberry shortcakes, and the colors on them are the best I've ever seen. I recently received a colony from a friend to see if it colors up like the one in my tank. Lime green with red tips.

The times I've had pale sps, it happened due to three things:

No fish in tank/low bioload;
Too much carbon(Rox.08) too sudden
Too much light.

What if your display like right now?

Scorpius
06/21/2015, 12:08 PM
If I can't test for it then I don't add it.

horseplay
06/22/2015, 08:00 PM
nothing works better than fish poop. that's how it's done in the wild. (coming from someone who have dosed these stuff before)

Scorpius
06/23/2015, 04:28 PM
I remember someone who dives regularly posted on here that at night the current upwells from below the coral reefs and brings all sorts of detritus up to the corals to eat. Fish poo ftw!! :lol:

SLICKTOP
06/24/2015, 07:28 AM
http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy81/erickaiscool13/2015-05/50C12A38-B587-42FF-A9FC-66EB631C6B00.jpg

This is current FTS, colors ok with heavy feedings

kevin_e
06/24/2015, 11:12 AM
nothing works better than fish poop. that's how it's done in the wild. (coming from someone who have dosed these stuff before)

This is what I live by.

Eastone
06/24/2015, 03:34 PM
I really like this set of elements. I have them dosed from my dosing pump and I test semi-regularly for all 4.

I found that by keeping up concentrations of all 4, I was able to go without water changes for quite some time [4 months on a ±10 gallon SPS tank], quite similar to the DSR method, and this seems like a great all in one to negate the depletion from growing and metabolic processes. It is very important you test for all 4 as they are easily overdosed, but I do notice a decline in coral colour if I don't refresh my dosing containers soon enough.

These 4 bottles essentially contain the 'trace elements' that we rely on regular routine water changes to replenish, and they are usable in a way that allows you to tinker and adjust colours if you so wish, it does still require a good nutrient balance and won't help if your tank is in a state of nitrate limitation or excess