PDA

View Full Version : Zebra Moray In 60g?

SoloChromis
06/19/2015, 10:32 PM
I've downgraded from a 4'x2' 120g to a 2'x2' 60g cube, and I'm not sure my 24" zebra moray would be comfortable in the new, smaller tank. He'd have to be in there for 2 years until I move and upgrade to a 250-350g, do you think it'd be safe to move him over? The other fish would include a percula pair, yasha goby, swissguard basslet and fathead sunburst anthias. Thanks :wave:

Dmorty217
06/20/2015, 06:45 AM
If yours is anything like mine it will be fine in there until you upgrade. Mine is unseen for days, sometimes weeks on end until it gets hungry and comes out looking for me to feed him. They don't require a lot of room

Dkuhlmann
06/21/2015, 05:24 AM
WOW I find this surprising. Never would have thought an animal that size would be ok in a space so small.

Dmorty217
06/21/2015, 08:48 AM
They do reach 5 ft but aren't out swimming around and like I said above I sometimes go weeks on end without seeing mine in my 220g

SaltyDoug
06/21/2015, 11:39 AM
60 sounds a little tight but you have to consider these guys are cave dwellers it's not like putting a 5 foot tang in a 5 foot tank.

Dmorty217
06/21/2015, 01:07 PM
60 sounds a little tight but you have to consider these guys are cave dwellers it's not like putting a 5 foot tang in a 5 foot tank.

There is no doubt that a 60 isn't ideal but can be done in the short term providing the upgrade really occurs

nuxx
06/21/2015, 01:49 PM
Only issue is that upgrades can get delayed.

I tried upgrading to a 135, didn't end up doing it.

Then bought a 240 and was filled with a year of delays until it finally got finished, then I was already over it.

Another year until the 470 was done.

I had every intention to upgrade, just didn't work out for a long time, even given my best efforts.

Dmorty217
06/21/2015, 03:16 PM

Then bought a 240 and was filled with a year of delays until it finally got finished, then I was already over it.

I had every intention to upgrade, just didn't work out for a long time, even given my best efforts.

This is important too. You should never purchase Andy species with the idea that you will upgrade to accommodate the fish later on, they rarely actually upgrade like they had planned

SoloChromis
06/22/2015, 09:53 AM

I understand how this can happen, but I've already got the majority of the equipment I'd need (lighting, skimmer, rock etc.) for a major upgrade, and considering I don't have kids or anything, I can't imagine myself putting off the upgrade. I'm definitely going the custom route when it does happen (Reef Savvy), and aiming for something around 6 feet long, 3 feet wide and 2 feet tall, with starphire front.

anbosu
06/22/2015, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't put it in a 60 gallon aquarium. I don't think it's a space issue as much as it is a water quality issue. I think you would have a difficult time maintaining even decent water quality with an eel of that size in the tank.

SoloChromis
06/22/2015, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't put it in a 60 gallon aquarium. I don't think it's a space issue as much as it is a water quality issue. I think you would have a difficult time maintaining even decent water quality with an eel of that size in the tank.

I'm stocking the tank up with macro algae and my skimmer is rated for a 200g tank, so I'm not too worried about water quality