PDA

View Full Version : Copperband was an eating machine

cagey
06/21/2015, 09:13 AM
One of my copperbands stopped eating about 4 weeks ago. I have had the fish for over 3 yrs. The fish acts like it is excited when food is introduced but doesn't take any. Was a Mysis eating machine. The fish was moved to the QT. Also the snout seems to have a reddish tone and seems like a vein/artery is visible like a lateral line thru snout. Breathing rapidly.
I have done a Prazipro treatment and a 50% water change after 3 days of the Prazipro. Anyone else experience this?:headwally:

Deinonych
06/21/2015, 09:58 AM
Can you post pictures?

ThRoewer
06/22/2015, 12:01 AM
What did you change and why?

An injury or infection on the snout will likely make the fish stop eating.

cagey
06/26/2015, 05:34 PM
Nothing was changed. All other inhabitants including another copperband are doing fine. Other copperband is in a different tank, same system.
I video'd the fish. https://youtu.be/HMnSBPzTAGM

I just introduced PE Mysis into aquarium. Fish is not blind.

ThRoewer
06/26/2015, 06:32 PM
The thing to be concerned about is the rapid breathing - it is a sign that something is wrong with him and the likely cause he stopped eating.

I would stop trying to feed him and see that you figure out what the cause for the rapid breathing is.
Since he is in a QT I would give CP a shot. It helped when I had something similar with one of my percula (rapid breathing, low appetite, no external symptoms). You should see a change within 3 days, likely earlier if it is a protozoan infection.
If that doesn't help I would lower the salinity to 1.018 (less energy consumption for osmoregulation and more oxygen in the water).

cagey
06/26/2015, 06:49 PM
The fish stopped eating about three weeks before the rapid breathing. When the rapid breating started is when he was confined.
What is CP?

ThRoewer
06/26/2015, 06:59 PM
Chloroquine Phosphate = New Life Spectrum Ick-Shield Powder (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MNQWACU/)

The rapid breathing is likely a symptom of what caused him to stop eating.

BTW: did you add anything new to the tank/system in the weeks before he stopped eating?

cagey
06/26/2015, 07:07 PM
Nothing new added. Noticed he was not eating. In the DT the fish was acting like in the QT only w/ more room. Thought maybe @ first he wanted live copepods that were put in refugium. I put some in QT and was ignored.

thax
06/26/2015, 10:07 PM
Have your treated for flukes? When was the last time something new went into the tank that was wet? Could be a coral a snail anything wet can bring something in.

cagey
06/27/2015, 04:27 PM
ordered CP today. Will keep everyone posted.
Thanx Throewer

cagey
07/02/2015, 12:11 PM
did 50% WC in the 30 gal HT and 1.5 scoops CP. @ 1400hrs edt.

cagey
07/03/2015, 12:08 PM
50% WC. No changes noticed. Fish moved from stationery spot has been in for awhile.

ThRoewer
07/03/2015, 12:48 PM
For food I would try any form of small worms - that's their food in the wild and the reason they have such a long and thin snout.
Paul B. recommends California Blackworms (can be ordered online from here: http://aquaticfoods.com/CaliforniaCustomersM.html)

cagey
07/04/2015, 11:32 AM
Today the copperband is laying on its side. I did a 30% water change (CP medicated). No ammonia showing on indicator, but water was/is a little cloudy. I moved the PVC fitting over to prop the fish upright.
I doubt if the fish would try to eat. Unless a miracle comes about, I don't believe this copperband will recover.

cagey
07/06/2015, 02:54 PM
:facepalm:Later that day 4th july copperband succumbed.