PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on overflow placement

Komfortable
06/21/2015, 01:53 PM
I bought a new 90g last night, and am having it drilled to my liking...but I can't decide how I want to do it! I'd like the tank to be peninsula style, so I will be having them drill the short side, but I also thought about having one about a foot from the right side, centered on the bottom pane and having a stand pipe run to the top surrounded by rock.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

Reel North
06/21/2015, 07:13 PM
If it were me I'd go external. Look up calfo or coast to coast. I just got a reverse 220 built with one and use a bean animal. It's amazing

Komfortable
06/22/2015, 02:37 PM
Those both require a notch instead of traditional homes, correct? I don't know if these guys can do that...though it would be very nice!

KingTriton1
06/22/2015, 03:04 PM
Depends, is the aquarium going into a room corner? If so moving the overflow box all the way to the side is what I would do. It helps prevent dead spots. If its not in the corner Id drill the middle back of the glass for a bean animal.

KingTriton1
06/22/2015, 03:15 PM
Since the aquarium isn't reef ready id just go ahead and throw this on it.

http://synergyreef.com/product/16-synergy-reef-overflow/

Reef ready tanks come with a glass overflow box with an acrylic backing. I highly doubt you will want to go through all the trouble of having your glass cut and cutting the acrylic for the outside of the overflow box. Just throwing this out there, an acrylic overflow box being held up by silicone is a no no..

Komfortable
06/22/2015, 05:40 PM
Depends, is the aquarium going into a room corner? If so moving the overflow box all the way to the side is what I would do. It helps prevent dead spots. If its not in the corner Id drill the middle back of the glass for a bean animal.
It is going to be a peninsula, so I want it to be drilled on the short side, if that makes sense. Plumbing will run to an adjacent "room" (see: empty space under stairs in unfinished basement).

Komfortable
06/22/2015, 05:41 PM
Since the aquarium isn't reef ready id just go ahead and throw this on it.

http://synergyreef.com/product/16-synergy-reef-overflow/

Reef ready tanks come with a glass overflow box with an acrylic backing. I highly doubt you will want to go through all the trouble of having your glass cut and cutting the acrylic for the outside of the overflow box. Just throwing this out there, an acrylic overflow box being held up by silicone is a no no..
I was thinking of 3 holes for a BA with a glass mini coast to coast inside. Paid less for the tank than that overflow costs, though it is very attractive and I would LOVE to go that route!