PDA

View Full Version : Herbie Method Question

kevins007
06/21/2015, 05:36 PM
I have a 210 gallon with 4-1" bulkheads two in each corner overflow. Now I am am thinking of trying to set up a herbie using 3 of the four. Then using the fourth overflow hole as my return.
Can anyone please tell me if this is a workable idea? I really don't want to glue everything together, then find out it doesn't work.
Thank you in advance.

wetWolger
06/21/2015, 06:56 PM
If the plan is to have one full siphon, two emergencies, and one return...that should be safe. I am unsure how much flow you can get through a 1in full siphon, but I am sure someone else does.

micielo719
06/21/2015, 07:40 PM
Yes, 100% doable. Use the search and look up Herbie designs and you'll see a bunch of guys doing it. I will be doing it shortly.

Toddrtrex
06/21/2015, 10:40 PM
For my 210, I ended going with a full siphon and emergency drain in each overflow. Both full siphons go into separate filter socks. The return goes over the back. Did a decent amount of research into this, one issue of having an emergency and return in one of the overflows is the water becoming stagnant over time. In addition one full siphon could limit how much flow you could have running.

Mine has been running with 2 independent Herbie's since December, and have been very pleased. Plan on moving in the next 6-12 months, and will take the tank down until we finish the basement ( will be new construction). When I put the tank back up I will set it up the same way.

HTH

intyme
06/22/2015, 04:13 AM
I would have the returns up over the back and use the 4 holes for drains and emergency drains.

Zacktosterone
06/22/2015, 03:57 PM
I have a 210 gallon with 4-1" bulkheads two in each corner overflow. Now I am am thinking of trying to set up a herbie using 3 of the four. Then using the fourth overflow hole as my return.
Can anyone please tell me if this is a workable idea? I really don't want to glue everything together, then find out it doesn't work.
Thank you in advance.

why do a herbie when you can do a bean animal..... if you have 3 holes do a herbie... if you have 4 do a beananimal

Toddrtrex
06/23/2015, 09:30 AM
why do a herbie when you can do a bean animal..... if you have 3 holes do a herbie... if you have 4 do a beananimal

From my understanding, would need the overflows connected (( within the tank )) for it to work. Reef Ready tanks are not really conducive to an bean-animal overflow.

Pretty sure that he OP's tank is similar to mine;

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/210/FTS2_zps0f235b43.jpg

Johnseye
06/23/2015, 09:55 AM
From my understanding, would need the overflows connected (( within the tank )) for it to work. Reef Ready tanks are not really conducive to an bean-animal overflow.

Pretty sure that he OP's tank is similar to mine;

My tank is identical to yours. Petland? Nice well built cabinetry.
I'm currently using durso overflows but am planning on a switch to Herbie. 2 siphon, 1 emergency and 1 return. I don't want to run returns up and over.
A little hesitant about dismantling my existing plumbing, but if it quiets things down it will be worth it.

Toddrtrex
06/23/2015, 10:02 AM
My tank is identical to yours. Petland? Nice well built cabinetry.
I'm currently using durso overflows but am planning on a switch to Herbie. 2 intake, 1 emergency and 1 return. A little hesitant about dismantling my existing plumbing, but if it quiets things down it will be worth it.

Thanks.

Yep, picked it up at one of their sales, ended up being somewhat reasonable.

Any reason you don't want 2 full siphons and 2 E-drains? I have mine set up that way and haven't had any issues. Haven't tweaked the gate valves in months. Plus, I feel safer having 2 E-drains. Lastly, it is dead silent, can hear the clip on fan in the canopy turn on, but can't hear the water.

ca1ore
06/23/2015, 10:11 AM
Thank you in advance.

That is how I have the drains configured on my 265, two siphons and one emergency: and it has worked flawlessly in the 18 months the tank has been running. I'd strongly suggest screens on all the drains to prevent a major blockage. The only thing to consider is based on how much flow you plan, and whether just the single 'emergency' would be able to handle said flow should the siphons become significantly blocked. For me, over the top rim is not an option as it completely ruins the aesthetic for me. The other option would be to drill the back panel for your return and do a dual herbie.

Johnseye
06/23/2015, 10:13 AM
Thanks.

Yep, picked it up at one of their sales, ended up being somewhat reasonable.

Any reason you don't want 2 full siphons and 2 E-drains? I have mine set up that way and haven't had any issues. Haven't tweaked the gate valves in months. Plus, I feel safer having 2 E-drains. Lastly, it is dead silent, can hear the clip on fan in the canopy turn on, but can't hear the water.

I do want 2 siphons and 2 emergency drains. I just don't want to run pipe out and over the back of the DT.

Johnseye
06/23/2015, 10:17 AM
I'd strongly suggest screens on all the drains to prevent a major blockage.

What diameter are your drains? Are your screens home made or bought? If bought, which ones?

Toddrtrex
06/23/2015, 11:15 AM
I do want 2 siphons and 2 emergency drains. I just don't want to run pipe out and over the back of the DT.

I can understand that; Personally I felt all things considered I was better off going over the top. With my canopy, I don't notice it at all --- almost like it better than using the side spots on the overflows.

With it up and running, and the canopy closed;

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/210/canopy1_zps0poy6bti.jpg

What diameter are your drains? Are your screens home made or bought? If bought, which ones?

Wasn't to me, but all of mine are 1", I picked up the screens from BRS;

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulkhead-overflow-strainers.html

I used the 1 inch slip -- that way I can remove them for cleaning if needed. Plus, I put covers over the overflows, to block light and reduce algae growth.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/210/overflow_zps3a9a0d26.jpg

IdahoCindy
06/23/2015, 12:10 PM
Mine has 2 full siphons (one on each side, which are independent of each other draining into the sump), one emergency, and one being used as the return. Has been working perfectly for over a year. Restarts like a dream after being turned off for a water change. I am using gate valves for fine tuning.

Johnseye
06/23/2015, 01:02 PM
Mine has 2 full siphons (one on each side, which are independent of each other draining into the sump), one emergency, and one being used as the return. Has been working perfectly for over a year. Restarts like a dream after being turned off for a water change. I am using gate valves for fine tuning.

Do you have 3 returns into your sump or is there a junction? Also, where did you get the tops for the overflows? That's great! It will help reduce my algae growth and regular maintenance.

ca1ore
06/23/2015, 01:55 PM

These ....

http://www.marinedepot.com/Threaded_Overflow_Strainer_1_inch_MPT_MPT_Fitting_Strainers-Plumbing_Parts-FT8533-FIFTSTMP-FT8555-vi.html

.... all 1" drains chez moi

ca1ore
06/23/2015, 01:59 PM
Also, where did you get the tops for the overflows? That's great! It will help reduce my algae growth and regular maintenance.

Overflow lids seem like a good idea - and in most cases probably are. In my case, however, they proved to be excellent places for my anthias to 'beach' themselves. The ability of a fish to flop itself back into the tank has been indirectly proportional to the cost of the fish :(

Johnseye
06/23/2015, 02:21 PM
These ....

http://www.marinedepot.com/Threaded_Overflow_Strainer_1_inch_MPT_MPT_Fitting_Strainers-Plumbing_Parts-FT8533-FIFTSTMP-FT8555-vi.html

.... all 1" drains chez moi

Sorry I should have asked height, that's my real consideration for the emergency drain. For siphon's height isn't an issue.