PDA

View Full Version : temperature fluctuations on a daily basis

krayziez
06/23/2015, 05:52 AM
Hi, I wonder what the maximum temperature difference can be from day to night and night to day that corals are able to be kept? Let's assume for acros since they are tougher to keep.

And anyone know the real data on the temperature swings on real coral reefs in the oceans? I'm assuming it goes down a few degrees at night since there's no sun in the entire ocean for half the time.

Also, someone did an experiment where they mimicked the ocean's temperatures and light cycles down to the tee and were able to breed certain types of fishes and were able to make corals sexually propagating, so I'm guessing it's a natural thing to have some fluctuation of water temps. He presented it at macna.

scooter31707
06/23/2015, 05:59 AM
Don't have experience with Acros, but my tank gets up to around 80 during the day and around 76 during the night. Haven't seen no ill effectives with the coral.

JammyBirch
06/23/2015, 06:15 AM
My tank is going through this right now, swinging to 83.5°F during the day and 79°F at night. This range does not impact my acros at all. A month ago though i had two days where the high temp was around 85-87°F, i had some STN start to occur on my corals near the top. Luckily i was able to stop it and repair the corals before they fell apart.

I did a lot of reading and basically you don't want your tank to go above 85°F ever, assuming most tanks are maitained at 78°F.