PDA

View Full Version : Supplemental light for AI Vega LED

jmowbray
06/23/2015, 06:33 AM
I currently have a 90 gallon SPS dominated tank with three AI vega color fixtures over it. I placed the fixtures center in the hood which covers most of the rock work. However, I have noticed a decrease in light toward the front sandbed and back of the rock work/wall. This wasn’t an issue at first but now I am noticing die off in some of the larger SPS colonies due to shading. My plan is to place a two bulb retrofit kit in the hood and dial back the LEDs some more. Currently I’m looking at the 3 Ft LET Lighting Miro-4 T5 High Output Retrofit Kit from BRS. I would love to put in a 4 foot unit however the canopy is exactly 48inches and would hit when it was closed. One of the stands will be placed in the front for the sand bed and the other behind the LED fixtures for the back. I’m looking for any input regarding bulb types to supplement with LED. I was looking at Fiji purple but I wasn’t sure if it would be smart to do both the same and you may be able to see the stripe of T5-LED-T5 in the tank.

Please let me know. I would like to get this taken care of ASAP as I don’t want the coral getting worse. I understand that there will become a point at which I will simply not be able to control the shading but for now they are not to that size.

ReefTankHunter
06/23/2015, 09:36 AM
I think those are what you need.They have exellent ballest and reflectors. As far as the bulbs,If your lacking par, might want to go with a ATI blue plus.If your lacking color, go with An actinic bulb

DDon
06/23/2015, 09:46 AM
With 2 bulbs of supplemental T5 I would go with a coral plus and a blue plus.
Also you may be able to use the 48", I believe they are slightly less than 48" as I was able to run 2 fixtures end to end on an 8 foot tank. I could send you actual length once I get home if that helps.

jmowbray
06/24/2015, 06:38 AM
With 2 bulbs of supplemental T5 I would go with a coral plus and a blue plus.
Also you may be able to use the 48", I believe they are slightly less than 48" as I was able to run 2 fixtures end to end on an 8 foot tank. I could send you actual length once I get home if that helps.

If you could please send me the exact lengths that would be great. I have never done a retro fit unit before so I have no clue. I just know the hood it exact 48 inches to the T and with the end caps looking a little chunky I didn't think it would fit. If I can go 4 ft I would love it!

DDon
06/24/2015, 08:49 AM
If you could please send me the exact lengths that would be great. I have never done a retro fit unit before so I have no clue. I just know the hood it exact 48 inches to the T and with the end caps looking a little chunky I didn't think it would fit. If I can go 4 ft I would love it!

I had to leave on a trip before I had a chance to measure but a quick search shows an assembled dimension of 46.8" which sounds about right to be. I can verify that but will be next Tuesday before I am home.

jmowbray
06/26/2015, 10:56 PM
I had to leave on a trip before I had a chance to measure but a quick search shows an assembled dimension of 46.8" which sounds about right to be. I can verify that but will be next Tuesday before I am home.

Can you tell me where you found that? I asked BRS and they said that it was a little bigger than 48.

DDon
06/27/2015, 01:29 AM
Found it here
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/LET-48-4x54W-Miro-4-T5-High-Output-Retrofit-Kit.html

jmowbray
06/29/2015, 06:19 AM
Any one else have any input on bulbs?

BryanS4
06/29/2015, 07:38 AM
I went for Blue Plus in the back and Coral Plus in th front. I like the look.

DDon
07/01/2015, 10:58 AM
I measured the installed length this morning and it is 46 3/4" (give or take an 1/8")

jmowbray
07/13/2015, 06:02 AM
I ended up getting the unit and installed it with more than enough room. Now just need to figure out the corect ratio of T5 to LED