PDA

View Full Version : Just finished TTM with pair of clowns

pdiehm
06/24/2015, 07:22 AM
First want to give big thumbs up :thumbsup: to Snorvich and the clear presentation of the transfer method process.

Second, the process was very painless. These are my first saltwater fish, and from the onset of purchase, showed no signs of Ich. Having a 6-8" square colander made them very easy to catch, and transferred extremely little water.

The equipment I used was 2 10 gallon tanks, a 4 pack of $0.99 airstones from petco, 2 air pumps, 2 sets of airline tubing, 2 heaters, 2 thermometers, and 2 sets of pvc pipe.

Process was very easy. Night before I bought the fish (6/8), I set up a 10 gallon aquarium with water that I drained from my display (no stock except snails), got it to 77 degrees, added the air stone. Purchased the fish on 6/9), but made sure to see the salinity of the water (was 1.023, my water is .024), so I floated them to acclimate for 20-25 minutes, and released at approximately 8:15 pm.

On 6/11, I set up the other 10 and got same temperature, and since I was using the same water from the display, I had no concerns over salinity. 6/12 at about 12pm I transferred them over to Tank #2, and this time dosed with Praziquantel.

6/14 repeated the setup process with a sterilized tank #1, transferred over at 6:45am on 6/15 (couldn't work from home that day).

On 6/17, set up the sterilized tank #2, and on 6/18 transferred to tank #2 and dosed with Praziquantel.

On Fathers Day at 6:00am, transferred to the main QT for minimum 21 days, but the plan is 30 full days, transferring over to the BioCube on 7/21.

Fish are extremely active, very colorful, and have taken to eating Brine Shrimp, Reef Flakes, and Garlic Pellets.

If anyone is on the fence about this, I highly recommend this process. It's very easy to complete, and not stressful on the fish at all. Most stress comes from catching them with the colander, but I drained about 50% of the water from the tank, which made catching them easier. Usually within 2 minutes, I had them caught and placed in the other tank.

kenpau
06/24/2015, 11:00 PM
I am currently going through TTM and using the exactly same method as you. While I agree that TTM does work very well in curing ich. I am not sure about the merits of using it as preventative treatment before introducing new fish to a DT. If a fish has ich then of course use this method, but I found that fish were visibly stressed during the transfer process, heavy breathing, laying on the bottom of the tank and loss of appetite was common in the hours following every transfer.
I am thinking that quarantine for a good period of time before transfer to the DT and only treating if the situation requires it is the better way to go.

snorvich
06/25/2015, 06:38 AM
I disagree since you will not know if a fish has ich as visible symptoms are not required. TTM eliminates any possibility of ich if done correctly.

kenpau
06/25/2015, 07:48 AM
You don't agree that TTM places unnecessary stress on fish if it is not required? A proper QT period should show any problems which can then be treated if necessary.

Dkuhlmann
06/25/2015, 09:49 AM
You don't agree that TTM places unnecessary stress on fish if it is not required? A proper QT period should show any problems which can then be treated if necessary.

Agreed! Don't treat for something they don't have.

snorvich
06/25/2015, 09:53 AM

No, I do not agree that TTM provides stress. And you will not know if a fish has ich often times until well past the normal quarantine protocol time. However, I do not believe in chemical propylactic treatment for two reasons:

+ you do not know the best treatment until symptoms exhibit
+ chemical treatment of any type does provide stress on the fish; depending on which chemical will determine how much stress