PDA

View Full Version : water flow gph

dogdave
06/24/2015, 04:08 PM
I am new to salt and am setting up a refugium below a 50 gallon tank, I have a reef octopus 110 skimmer in a 20 gallon refugium on the left side with a 800 gph pump on the right of the refugium. How big do I drill the drain hole and how big should the return hole be in my display tank also how much flow can i put through a refugium of this size without blowing everything all over inside the refugium part,
Thanks, Dave.

tennesseebob
06/24/2015, 05:54 PM
kk if it is a refugium you dont want much flow, the slower the better, If it is just a normal sump, or sump with refuge then if possible you will want slower flow through your refuge.If you are drilling i always drill for at least a 1.5" drain bulkhead, the return hole should be for a bulkhead that matches the size of your return line coming out of your pump. Flow through your sump doesnt really need to be any higher than your skimmer can handle realistically.

and most importantly, is this a 55g? if so it is likely tempered, in which case you cant drill it, if not then drill away.

Dkuhlmann
06/24/2015, 06:23 PM
Run 1" pipe which has a drill hole size of I believe 1.033? Check in the DIY forum, there are a few threads on this now.

Depending on the head height you will get a siphon of 1500-2500 gph of flow. You'll find it on that forum page.