PDA

View Full Version : Waaay oversized skimmer on a frag tank?

nuxx
06/25/2015, 03:33 PM
Hey everyone...

Well my Reef Octopus DCS300 had it's pump fail this morning.

After getting the pump and skimmer out to clean the pump, the skimmer slipped and hit the floor breaking the acrylic input tube.

Went ahead and ordered a new Reef Octopus Regal 300SSS to replace the DCS300 on our big tank. Didn't want to run the DCS300 after being fixed on the big tank...

I think I can fix the acrylic and Reef Octopus is going to replace the pump under warranty.

Now I'm stuck with this big DCS300...

I'm going to start finally getting our frag tank setup now as well...

The frag tank is 150 gallons (60x36x16") with a 75 gallon sump.

The DCS300 is rated for 600 gallons light, 500 gallons medium and 400 gallons high bioload.

Would this work on our frag tank ~ 200 gallons of system volume?

It can be adjusted down in power as well being DC.

http://s14.postimg.org/w4fm33bwx/skimmer_frag_tank.jpg

Would love to hear your thoughts :)

tkeracer619
06/25/2015, 10:05 PM
It really depends. Frag tanks are their own bread in regards to running them. Often they don't have many fish and aren't fed a lot which IMO is a bad move. Really they are like any other tank except they have frags growing out which can consume a ton of nutrients.

If you plan on carbon dosing and feeding the tank I think you will be fine. Just try it out, no harm no foul. My guess is you will end up selling it for something smaller.

I'd consider stocking the frag tank with a fair amount of fish, frags need fish poop, but you already know this :).

A timer (or a bigger frag tank) may be necessary.

nuxx
06/26/2015, 09:46 AM

Was thinking the timer might work...

Didn't think about carbon dosing, but I do it on the display. Guess it adds more fuel for the skimmer to work with. I was most worried about being able to keep a 12" neck happy.

Was planning on doing some fish. Achilles Tang (ich detector), some kind of wrasse and maybe a small group of fish (anthias). So I will be feeding.

tkeracer619
06/26/2015, 10:54 AM
I'd also toss a foxface in there. They eat a lot of nori and poop a lot, plus... bubble algae won't stand a chance :)

I let my bta tank go bonkers with bubble algae before I added my foxface, hard pressed to find them after a month... but my foxface is super fat :)

nuxx
06/26/2015, 11:23 AM
I'd also toss a foxface in there. They eat a lot of nori and poop a lot, plus... bubble algae won't stand a chance :)

I let my bta tank go bonkers with bubble algae before I added my foxface, hard pressed to find them after a month... but my foxface is super fat :)

I do notice bubble algae comes in a lot of coral. Actually more so than I thought... great idea!

tkeracer619
06/26/2015, 11:25 AM
Glad to help, keep us posted!