PDA

View Full Version : Question about a zoa

tennesseebob
06/25/2015, 06:22 PM
It's only been a week, but my new zoa is still closed, well mostly, at night closed, during the day tiny little pinpricks of bright orange are showing, its on the sand in my deep tank 30" tall, minus sand is about 25" down from the LED's at 40%, water is all normal with the exception of Magnesium, i cant measure it yet, all the 0's are 0, calcium is 380, phosphate is not registering, nitrate isnt high enough to register either, dkh is 9

ericarenee
06/25/2015, 06:36 PM
Are you sure the lights are bright enough.. I would try maybe moving it up a bit..

They usually open right up. but If there is a Drastic difference in the water chemistry from where you got them there could be a issue.. Also if sand is blowing on them or something picking at them..
Do you have any other zoa in your tank by any chance?

JammyBirch
06/25/2015, 06:41 PM
My experience with my zoa was too much flow ticked it off. I moved it to a low flow area and it opened and stayed open since then. I run LEDs also and keep the whites as low as I can blues at 50% RB value fixture, tank is 18" deep. Zoe's are at the bottom.

I have AOG zoa so it may vary with different types. Experiment with flow and light but be carefully.

tennesseebob
06/25/2015, 06:48 PM
kk flow is low...i believe, stuff doesnt settle where it is at, but it does kinda hover a little bit sometimes, lighting was on 80% but my monti started turning gray, and other folks with my light suggested that i had it way to bright and suggested closer to 30%, but that still felt low to me, especially since my tank is deeper than most of theirs. Visually it looks plenty bright, but i know that is no way of knowing, it is brighter than the lfs kept them, so maybe they are adjusting.

tennesseebob
06/25/2015, 06:50 PM
oh, no other zoa, and nothing bothers them, crabs don't even crawl on their rock very often

ericarenee
06/25/2015, 06:56 PM
oh, no other zoa, and nothing bothers them, crabs don't even crawl on their rock very often

How big of a Colony are they. They usually just come right out...
I Bought some a week ago and they were fully out a hour after taking them from the bag. I do have them on the bottom in a shadow area.. But will move them out in the open tomorrow then start moving them upward.. I really hate Buying Corals they keep under inferior led lights and i have to slowly acclimate them to Proper M/H Lighting

tennesseebob
06/25/2015, 09:03 PM
they are in direct light, maybe i should move them to shadow, tiny, like 6 or 8 polyps