PDA

View Full Version : Bioload

Mikenroe
06/26/2015, 08:13 PM
What is the best way to increase your bio load capacity, so that you can keep more fish and corals. I have a 160 with a eshopps r300 sump/refugium with chaeto. I use a bubble Magus nac 9 protein skimmer. Any suggestions?

fsalazar
06/26/2015, 08:24 PM
Seachem Matrix or MarinePure

rt67ghy
06/27/2015, 01:33 AM
You could also add more live rock if you prefer the natural approach and have the space.

Mikenroe
06/27/2015, 11:14 AM
thanks guys for the advice! (fsalazar) how would i use Seachem matrix or marine pure? I do not have a canister filter or anything like that. My system is all natural with just 150lbs of live rock and a Bubble Magus NAC 9 protein skimmer. Can I just put the Seachem in a filter bag and put in my sump? Would you have to change it often to prevent it from leaching crap back into the tank or because it collects good bacteria would i just leave it in there.

oldbones
06/27/2015, 11:18 AM
Just out of curiosity, but why do you think you're maxed out on bio-capacity?

Mikenroe
06/27/2015, 11:33 AM
oldbones, I am not sure if i am or not. However, to be honest i was battling some high NO3 for a while, above 50ppm using red sea testing, and even though i was doing about a 35 gal water change weekly. I was not able to get them under control. However, I recently have done a series of big water changes every three days and now they are back between 5 and 10ppm. Im going to do one more big water change and try to get them below 5. But I think where i went wrong was that i never blew off my rock with a turkey baster and i was putting two much reef roods and filter feeding food in. I now only use LRS and now only cut about an inch diameter cube for the tank a day. However, I would like to have a lot of fish and coral, so that is the reason I ask. Have you had any experience with what (fsalazar) poster or using sachem matrix or marine pure?

oldbones
06/27/2015, 12:09 PM
Not me, I'm a newbie. Just trying to understand where you're coming from.

How much live rock in the tank, and what type? Substrate? Stocking list? Those answers will help the truly smart guys help you.

Jade5051
06/27/2015, 12:20 PM
Hands down algae turf scrubber!

Like this!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD6kA3xDPaM

bertoni
06/27/2015, 03:02 PM
There are lots of approaches. I'd probably start by adding more live rock, if that fit into my plans for the aquascaping. Marine Pure blocks and Matrix both can work, although I'd want more flow through the Matrix. It might be fine in the sump. An algae scrubber can do a lot, too, although it costs more to run, due to the expense of lighting.

Mikenroe
06/27/2015, 04:51 PM
would you add more live rock in the form of broken up big pieces, like rubble, in the sump or would that not make a big enough difference. I have a light for my cheato to grow would that be sufficient for a algae scrubber. Can one just float on top of the water in the refugium under the lights?

bertoni
06/28/2015, 07:37 PM
I'd use larger pieces and avoid debris buildup. Floating Chaetomorpha is fine as long as it can't clog any plumbing.

Icefire
07/01/2015, 08:44 PM
Yeah too much reef roid can polute quickly

tmz
07/01/2015, 10:34 PM
For me organic carbon dosing does it nicely combined with skimming, GAC and cryptic refugia with live reock and sand.