PDA

View Full Version : What do you use??

troynel
06/26/2015, 09:36 PM
Going to be either getting a calcium reactor or dosing unit in the near future and want to know what most of you use and if you feel like it why?

I've read other threads but most seem outdated. At the moment I'm leaning towards CARX but like the looks of a doser even though that should be second in my decision.

troynel
06/27/2015, 08:37 AM
Nobody?

EvMiBo
06/27/2015, 09:12 AM
Calcium reactor. What size tank do you have? In general, if you have over 100g a calcium reactor might be a good choice. The up front cost is fairly large though.

troynel
06/27/2015, 09:21 AM
I have 100 gallon tank.

ajcanale
06/27/2015, 10:47 AM
I've used both. Glad I invested in a Ca reactor as I was going trough 2part way too fast.

karimwassef
06/27/2015, 10:59 AM
I use a DIY Kalk reactor

troynel
06/27/2015, 02:54 PM
AJ how many sps corals do you have? Did you find a CARX hard to fine tune?

ShesEasy
06/27/2015, 03:28 PM
I use a reactor....in four months I haven't even gone through the media I put in and my 180 of sps stays consistant at 420-440

I never need to mess around with it

Dosing seems like a major waste of money... Reactors are a big initial cost bit they pay for them sells I think

shadow64
06/27/2015, 04:24 PM
2 part dosing brs

troynel
06/27/2015, 05:13 PM
If I incorporate dosing with automatic water changes would that help with the trace element depletion or is it just easier to use a CARX.

Wazzel
06/28/2015, 02:25 PM
I use 2 part for my system. It is a 60 cube, 20 long frag tank plus sump. I burn through a lot of 2 part for a system my size. Going to add a kalk system at some point when funds allow. Still going to dose just want to be able to scale back.

troynel
06/28/2015, 04:24 PM
Thanks for sharing.

reefmutt
06/28/2015, 04:30 PM
i have a 300 gal system.. had a 500 gal system and various larger systems, over the years. i have always used a ca reactor- easily 15 years.. i wouldn't have anything against dosing but i love the ca reactor. once you have an understanding of how it works, it is very simple to use and easy to fine tune. like any method of adding ca/alk, you must test and react but over time the testing can become less frequent and the reactions less aggressive as you get to know your system..

troynel
06/28/2015, 04:32 PM
Seems like dosing works well and the only complaint is going through solution quickly. Is that the only con to dosing?

Wazzel
06/28/2015, 04:46 PM
It is easy enough. If you go auto dosing it is really easy. I mix a batch of ca and alk once a week and that is it. I adjust the concentration based on once a week testing.

troynel
06/29/2015, 06:57 PM
That's it?

Wazzel
06/29/2015, 08:16 PM
Yes that is it. I keep a log of my test so I can look at the trend. My tank evaporates about 15 liters in a week. I add 5 l each of alk and ca mix while the rest is the auto top off. I started with the vendors recommendation for a rank my size and adjusted from there.

buy_baff
06/29/2015, 09:27 PM
I use a kalk stirrer supplemented with two part via dosing pump.

Wiskey
06/29/2015, 09:34 PM
Ca reactor for me. It doses not just ca and ALK but also other trace elements in the media. I've tried a doser in the past and I could never keep them consistent. The pumps would change as check valves clogged, or hoses got residue in them etc. it may have been a crummy doser but it did not work nearly as well as my reactors.

Whiskey

troynel
06/29/2015, 10:03 PM
What carx do you use and your setup?

Wiskey
06/29/2015, 10:17 PM
Moorpark! I've been there a few times on business!

I use a korilian sp? I drilled the lid for a ph probe, and used a needle valve instead of a ball valve to control effluant.

I've only used this one for a bit, but my 180 had a dual stage one setup in much the same way. That one suffered a disaster when the silonoid stuck open and melted the media. I changed my current setup to account for that. If the ph goes under a set point it will kill the mixing pump and text me. Also even if it sticks I have a high quality co2 needle valve that can very precisely set c02 flow. It is configured at a low enough bubble rate to require the co2 to be on 90% of the time so a failure won't run away as fast.

Whiskey

ajcanale
06/29/2015, 10:29 PM
AJ how many sps corals do you have? Did you find a CARX hard to fine tune?

I have about 30 varieties. Mostly colonies.

Compared to dosing pumps? lol, not at all. Takes 2 seconds to change the flow rate of reactor... compared to reprogramming dosing pumps and doing math blah blah, though this might not the the case with all dosing pumps. Mine were controlled via Apex.

Also if you use certain media (TLF reborn) you don't have to ever think about trace elements.

dnov99
06/30/2015, 05:16 AM
MTC pro cal Calcium reactor for me. Extra coarse media with electronic regulator Is a must.

troynel
06/30/2015, 08:24 PM
Thanks!

Yes whisky moorpark. I actually go down to your neck of the woods a few times a year as well for business.

troynel
06/30/2015, 08:25 PM
Is a peralistic pump a must?

troynel
07/01/2015, 06:43 PM
I think I'm leaning towards a reacto

Wiskey
07/02/2015, 03:35 PM
Is a peralistic pump a must?

I don't use one, though I'm sure it would be better. I have a regular pump feeding mine and I use a plastic needle (gate?) valve to control the effluant flow.

Whiskey

reefmutt
07/02/2015, 03:43 PM
I don't use one either.. The recirculating pump creates some negative pressure in my reactor, so I use a small ball valve on the input side.. It does need adjustments every few days..
Yes a controllable pump would probably be easiest..

DSMpunk
07/03/2015, 09:44 AM
The problem I have always had with Ca reactors is the regulator and the check valves. I have run a 1502 over the course of the 15ish years and love it, but HATE the regulators.

So if you go that route, I would definitely invest in an electronic regulator. They are pricey, but IMO the only way to go.

DSMpunk
07/03/2015, 09:45 AM
http://www.aquariumplants.com/CarbonDoser_Electronic_Co2_Regulator_p/co2.htm

That is the one you want. :)

reefmutt
07/03/2015, 10:00 AM
Yep.. Da punk is right on both... :)

troynel
07/03/2015, 10:24 AM
Thanks. I will plan on getting that as well.

DavidinGA
07/03/2015, 10:32 AM
I've never used a cal reactor, but I haven't had any complaints with dosing.

It's cheap and easy, even for my 250gal volume.

I use Leslie pool supply soda ash and hardness plus for alk/cal and then I use bulk mag chloride I get off eBay for dirt cheap plus Epsom salt I pick up at Walmart (dirt cheap again).

The biggest problem with dosing is cost if you buy your stuff from a lfs or an online reef store. The bend you over and give it to ya on price...

domvert
07/28/2015, 06:52 PM
Started to buy from Leslie Pool Supply also after seeing quite a few people especially DavidinGA using it-
I have no issues and it works out convenient, since a store is close to me

swk
07/29/2015, 10:53 AM
I went from 2 part dosing with litermeters, to a geo calrx with masterflex pump and carbon doser reg. I was very happy with the litermeters, but really wanted all the advantages that come with a calrx. However, I didn't want all the fiddling that can go with a reactor. The setup I'm running with the peri pump and electronic regulator is a dream come true. Infinitely adjustable, stable and reliable. Expensive, yes, but worth every penny ime

steallife904
07/29/2015, 12:07 PM
is there a kit anyone sells that comes with everything you need for a calcium reactor. Thinking of going this route on my new build as well. Calcium reactor is new territory for me though so trying to research it a bit....

ShesEasy
07/29/2015, 03:36 PM
Reactor....best thing ever

dadummy
07/29/2015, 07:02 PM
kalkwasser in auto top off, cheap and easy. Once demand can no longer be satisfied will be setting up a calcium reactor for the first time. After reading a couple threads in the equipment forum I am convinced that a CArx can be used successfully.

I have manually dosed two part daily for years. For me the piece of mind of knowing what was going in the tank was worth the chore. There has always been stories of reactors and dosing pumps failing.

swk
07/29/2015, 07:38 PM
is there a kit anyone sells that comes with everything you need for a calcium reactor. Thinking of going this route on my new build as well. Calcium reactor is new territory for me though so trying to research it a bit....

I believe it's called Dastaco. They're extremely high dollar but they are truly plug and play.

Ancelot
07/30/2015, 07:22 AM
Are the Carbon doser electronic regulator any good?

Anyway I support CR for big tanks - even my 2 footer runs a H&S CR. Dosers are good but too much hassle imo..

steallife904
07/30/2015, 07:45 AM
what would you suggest for a 140 (170 total volumn) tank? Reactor or doser? For the longest i was thinking calc reactor but lately was leaning toward a doser..... having a hard time making a choice.

swk
07/30/2015, 08:58 AM
Are the Carbon doser electronic regulator any good?

Anyway I support CR for big tanks - even my 2 footer runs a H&S CR. Dosers are good but too much hassle imo..

I use one. It's amazing. I can keep the ph in my reactor dead steady without any intervention from my controller once I dial it in. Not only can you adjust the bubble rate, but the bubble size as well. Well worth the money IME

swk
07/30/2015, 09:07 AM
what would you suggest for a 140 (170 total volumn) tank? Reactor or doser? For the longest i was thinking calc reactor but lately was leaning toward a doser..... having a hard time making a choice.

Dosers are cheap and easy to setup. The downsides are the possibility of nuking your tank is higher due to equipment malfunction, cost CAN be much higher over the long run, time to mix and refill solutions, the fact that you are slowly changing the water chemistry in your tank in regards to levels of specific salts and should be changing water more regularly to offset this, and that you are not adding anything but salt, calcium and alkalinity.

With quality calrx media you never need to worry about trace elements as they're added as the Coral skeletons dissolve. The only 3 real knocks against a calrx that I've heard are-

HIGH initial setup cost, especially if setup with a peristaltic pump. This can be offset with quality used gear. The reactor itself can be the cheapest part of the whole deal. Although, buying used I bought a geo 612, ap Carbon doser reg and full bottle, and a masterflex feed pump for 500 dollars ;-)

Getting the reactor dialed in and keeping it there - this is NOT a factor if setup as described above. SUPER stable and infinitely adjustable.

Lower display tank ph. Mine dropped at most .1 and I'm not too concerned about it. Will setup a kalk stirrer in the future I think.

I'm extremely happy since I made the switch and the alk demand has been increasing like crazy since the switch. The corals are happy too

Ancelot
07/30/2015, 08:21 PM
I use one. It's amazing. I can keep the ph in my reactor dead steady without any intervention from my controller once I dial it in. Not only can you adjust the bubble rate, but the bubble size as well. Well worth the money IME

Thanks mate for your review. How long have you have it anyway?

swk
07/30/2015, 08:24 PM
I bought mine used and I'm pretty sure it's over a year old. I've been running mine for a month or 2 at least.

Ancelot
07/30/2015, 09:11 PM
I bought mine used and I'm pretty sure it's over a year old. I've been running mine for a month or 2 at least.

That's some comfort because Google sprung me some bad reviews when I searched for it (:

I'll try one for my CR. It's becoming a must have haha (:

swk
07/30/2015, 09:13 PM
That's some comfort because Google sprung me some bad reviews when I searched for it (:

I'll try one for my CR. It's becoming a must have haha (:

That really surprises me. I've never heard a bad thing personally.