PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Success

AirForceAquariu
06/28/2015, 12:40 PM
I just got home from my 2 weeks away and everything is alive! I know that this is chump change for some people but I feel that it shows I have hit a milestone in reefing.

I will say I was nervous when I scraped the glass clean to see well through!

gi_eric22
06/28/2015, 03:45 PM
Awesome I would be afraid to leave it for 2 weeks straight did you have anyone check on it?

skimjim
06/28/2015, 05:56 PM
Best investment I ever made was plopping down $1000 for an Apex Controller.

Two weeks ago I was 800 miles from home and I was able to pull up on my Android phone, while sitting on the beach, all my data; temp, pH, what devices were on and which were off. I could control every device by switching them from OFF to AUTO to ON...manually overiding what I programmed, if I choose.

I even setup an Apex AutoFeeder and fed Spectrum & Formula pellets two times a day automatically.

To top it off I hooked up a Foscam HD Webcam and was able to view LIVE in 720p the entire length of 180g to check on fish swimming, etc.

I also had the Apex text me if anything went out of range. I also had the Apex text me every time it fed pellets. During the week on the vacation, my head was nt on reefing and my phone would go off and it reminded me the fish were just fed. sweet comfort.

Apex is so awesome, its beyond description....

Sample Screenshot off Apex.com of what it looks like on a SmartPhone:
http://melevsreef.com/sites/default/files/Screen%20Shot%202014-07-14%20at%2011.11.33%20PM.png

Coolest thing

AirForceAquariu
06/28/2015, 08:32 PM
I use the apex and the autofeeder. My neighbor swung by but had no instructions except to tell me it hadn't exploded haha.

The Apex adds a huge amount of trust! and I had done a few weekend trips before this so that was comforting.

ajcanale
06/28/2015, 08:46 PM
:bounce1:

DaveRaz
06/29/2015, 03:21 AM
Good for you. I didn't want to drop the 1k either but seeing my work schedule, I didn't have a choice. Apex + dropcam = peace of mind!

murdock84
06/29/2015, 06:04 PM
Your two weeks beats my 4 days of no one home. I also have he Apex and next trip will move my home security camera towards the tank. I forgot to do that this time before we left. I did a water change the day before leaving and will do that next time as well.

nuxx
06/30/2015, 11:03 AM
We don't leave our dogs alone, so one of our parents is always here.

Just portion out food and vodka (lol), then prep some nori on pvc that sinks.

Have had luck in the past this way.

+1 for Apex and my paranoia.