PDA

View Full Version : Relocating my reef tank

dh350twin
06/28/2015, 10:10 PM
Hello, need some opinions. I recently removed everything from my 240 gal reef tank to a stock Rubbermaid tub. I am moving the tank to a different room. While it is empty I would like to clean it and having it looking and smelling new again before I add new sand and all the live rock and corals back.
Fish to follow in 10 weeks as I had ich come in on the very last fish I purchased. I should have quarantined him but didn't and paid the ultimate price..... I digress
All equipment is getting a vinegar bath for several days.
So I have to clean the tank where it sits and can't fill it all the way up. Any suggestions?
Thank you

nuxx
06/29/2015, 12:51 PM
Why do you need to fill it?

Remove all the equipment and clean it separately.

Then just wipe down the empty tank and rinse.

dh350twin
06/29/2015, 04:41 PM
Why do you need to fill it?

Remove all the equipment and clean it separately.

Then just wipe down the empty tank and rinse.

What do you suggest wiping it down with? Vinegar?
I had a really Nasty hair algae outbreak at the end there, so there are a lot of remains.

Lavoisier
06/29/2015, 05:40 PM
What do you suggest wiping it down with? Vinegar?
I had a really Nasty hair algae outbreak at the end there, so there are a lot of remains.

Yes, vinegar.

nuxx
06/30/2015, 10:06 AM
yes, vinegar.

+1

dh350twin
06/30/2015, 04:24 PM
I can not rinse it with a hose like I normally would. Would just a wet towel be sufficient to go over with after wiping with vinegar?

malacoda
06/30/2015, 06:02 PM
Once you've wiped it down really well with the vinegar solution, perhaps you could fill it at least 1/4 or 2/3 of the way with rinse water, wipe down the sides above the water line really well with wet towel, then siphon the rinse water out into a bucket or rubbermaid tub as a means of draining it. A little more labor involved than simply 'tanking it outside and hosing it', but should be still just as effective.

dh350twin
06/30/2015, 08:32 PM
Once you've wiped it down really well with the vinegar solution, perhaps you could fill it at least 1/4 or 2/3 of the way with rinse water, wipe down the sides above the water line really well with wet towel, then siphon the rinse water out into a bucket or rubbermaid tub as a means of draining it. A little more labor involved than simply 'tanking it outside and hosing it', but should be still just as effective.

Thank you for the advise. I scrubbed it down tonight with a heavy vinegar solution and tomorrow will repeat with water only then shop vac the remaining water. Then I may use a window solution and wipe down then the tank will sit empty for about a week before filling?

nuxx
07/01/2015, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't be too paranoid about getting every drop of vinegar...

malacoda
07/02/2015, 09:57 AM
Might want to avoid using window cleaner...

Lingering ammonia could trigger a cycle when you reload the tank. Since you plan on letting the tank sit to dry out for a week this is a very remote -- i.e. almost non-existent -- possibility. However, if a little remains wet in any corners or framing crevices, there is an ever so slight chance it could happen. IMHO it is best, and safest, to always maintain the discipline of never using an ammonia product anywhere near an aquarium.

And, if you use an ammonia-free glass cleaner, odds are it will be a vinegar solution -- which is what you've already did.

If you've already used the glass cleaner, don't sweat it -- just make sure you wipe it our REALLY well, then give the tank plenty of time to dry. The ammonia will evaporate off, and wiping it down well should remove residue (if any) left by any other ingredients in the glass cleaner.

If you haven't done glass cleaner yet, I wouldn't bother doing it at all. Tank should be plenty clean after the vinegar bath and rinse. Maybe just a good wipe down with a clean, soft cotton cloth to polish the glass/acrylic, and I think it'll be fine.

malacoda
07/02/2015, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't be too paranoid about getting every drop of vinegar...

+1 A little vinegar shouldn't cause an problems at all. I believe some folks even dose a little vinegar to their tanks on occasion for nitrate and phosphate reduction as well as to keep cyano in check.

nuxx
07/02/2015, 10:57 AM
+1 A little vinegar shouldn't cause an problems at all. I believe some folks even dose a little vinegar to their tanks on occasion for nitrate and phosphate reduction as well as to keep cyano in check.

Exactly :)

Just drip dried our new skimmer after running in vinegar to break it in... then just tossed it in the tank :)

hogfanreefer
07/02/2015, 12:43 PM
90 cc of vinegar go in to my reef tank every day. If you just wipe it all down you won't get nearly that much in your tank. I don't think it will be a problem at all.

dh350twin
07/03/2015, 08:28 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.