PDA

View Full Version : Recycling a Tunze Osmolator pump?

Reefer PT
06/30/2015, 08:57 AM
I am in the process of upgrading from a nano to a 120g tank and I have a tunze osmolator nano which has been less then stellar. I have had 3 overfills and have taken it off line and am now just topping off by hand until the 120 is up. I have an Apex controller that will now be in charge of ATO. I understand I will wire 2 new float switchs to the BoB. I would like to use the tunze pump as it is a nice little DC pump. Can I just strip the wires off the transformer, use a couple waterproof connectors and splice the wires together? Then plug it into a relay outlet and all is good? Or do I need to maintain the control box of the osmolator? Is there a better way of controlling this pump?
Thanks
Dave

Tang Salad
06/30/2015, 09:19 AM
Did you have no luck troubleshooting the overfill problem? Reach out to Roger here in the Tunze forum and he'll be able to help you out.

But to answer your question, yes, you can run those pumps directly from the power supply.

Reefer PT
06/30/2015, 09:30 AM
No I did not reach out to roger. I figured it is well over a year old and I have this 120 in the making so it wasn't worth trying to get it fixed. It is obviously a double fail though. The float switch sticks and the pump doesn't shut off after a few minutes like it was designed to.