PDA

View Full Version : Wrasse behavior

Jrambo88
06/30/2015, 09:52 AM
Why would a Melanurus wrasse continuously hit the water line and splash every few minutes or so in the same spot all of a sudden? Probably for the past hour or so. He's not getting bullied, he's the alpha dog of the tank.

Jp_esp
06/30/2015, 10:39 AM
Why would a Melanurus wrasse continuously hit the water line and splash every few minutes or so in the same spot all of a sudden? Probably for the past hour or so. He's not getting bullied, he's the alpha dog of the tank.

How long have you had him? Specs on the tank? Just got one a few weeks ago, took him about two weeks to start eating and swimming around the tank. When first added he stayed on one side of the tank going up and down on the glass.

heathlindner25
06/30/2015, 10:41 AM
When my leopard was turning into a male.....she had a habit of going to the same corner of the tank and splashing water out.

Jrambo88
06/30/2015, 10:53 AM
40b a few months, he eats like a pig. From the moment I introduced him he was a active swimmer and never really hid unless I had my hands in the tank

Jrambo88
06/30/2015, 10:54 AM
That what he is doing too, expect not a corner but directly in the middle back on the tanj

scooter31707
07/01/2015, 06:33 AM
Haven't really experienced that, but I know they are known jumpers, so be careful. Is there any other fish that might be stressing it out?

Jrambo88
07/01/2015, 08:00 AM
Nope. Lol my wife said he needs a girlfriend. He hasn't done it today...yet...

PhaneSoul
07/01/2015, 08:27 AM
My M-wrasse does all of the things listed above, hasnt jumped yet tho. Very active and knows food comes from my hands. Something cool., if he gets food bigger then he can eat he will take it and try to smash it on the rocks to break it up.

Jrambo88
07/01/2015, 09:18 AM
i forgot to mention also he was flashing and swimming in a tight circle around one of my corals like he was a hawk or a bird of prey circling. then he would randomly hit the surface. i have the mess covering so no jump hazard which is good. the lights have been on for over 2 hours and today he hasnt done any of the behavior of yesterday. he is now just swimming around like normal.

evolved
07/01/2015, 09:51 AM
Probably fighting the fish on the other side of the glass (his reflection).

friartuuk
10/18/2016, 08:52 AM
I know this thread is a year old but it seemed like the right place to post similar observations about my melanarus wrasse. She (I'm assuming its still a female) has been quite content cruising slowly around the tank, apart from feeding time when she darts around like crazy. However, yesterday I noticed that she was darting around a lot more with her caudal fin clamped and ventral fins pointed straight down. She would return to a spot by the side of the aquarium and at first appeared to be rubbing on a particular part of the rock work. All other behaviour is normal, breathing rate, feeding, etc. Any ideas as to what's happening here?