PDA

View Full Version : My first overflow... loud

SaltieG
06/30/2015, 11:45 AM
Im going to throw a couple pictures up and tell me what I am doing wrong. I put a overflow box in my 125 and it works fine, but its loud. Its sucking air and gurgling. I have 2 1 inch drains and the 2 3/4 inch returns.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/fatwhitekid/overflow2_zpsl5sew9ip.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/fatwhitekid/media/overflow2_zpsl5sew9ip.jpg.html)

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/fatwhitekid/overflow_zpss7w0es2r.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/fatwhitekid/media/overflow_zpss7w0es2r.jpg.html)

robertifly
06/30/2015, 12:39 PM
Yeah I bet you do. The good news is that there is a solution but it will require some more work. An excellent opportunity for a bean animal resilient and safe drain. Do a search for it. It will need another box added outside the tank where your exit pipes are, not much more work but you will love it, promise.

FishyFishy69
06/30/2015, 12:43 PM
Or just convert it to a herbie style drain. Put a 90 facing down as your main full-syphon drain, and then a 90 upwards to act as your emergency. You can even cut overflow teeth into the emergency 90 to get additional surface skimming. I always leave mine with a small trickle of water running through them.

But, this way you will have to plug the air holes on the 90's behind the tank. Your setup was not ideal, because that is the noisiest drain style ever, but you can work with it.

SaltieG
06/30/2015, 12:58 PM
Alright well lets say I try the herbie design first, seeing as how its an easier fix right now. Will plugging the air holes in the back of the 90 elbows be an issue as far as sucking in air goes?

sleepydoc
06/30/2015, 04:23 PM
So what you have is essentially 2 durso drains with horizontal inlets. How flow are you running and what size plumbing? It looks like 1" plumbing in hte pic, but I can't be sure. a 1" durso won't handle a ton of flow before it starts gurgling quite a bit. On top of this, you have a small overflow box with teeth, which will also create a lot of noise and bubbles if you are running much flow.

You can do a Herbie with 2 pipes, but it won't work too well with your setup. The Herbie was designed for a corner flow setup that allows for a significant vertical difference between the siphon and the dry emergency. This distance lets the system auto-tune itself to a limited degree. A setup like yours won't allow this.

I agree with robertifly - your best bet is to drill another hole and covert it to a bean. On that subject, how close are your bulkheads? They look awfully close together. There should be at least 1 hole diameter distance between the holes, preferably 1.5 diameters

ericarenee
06/30/2015, 04:38 PM
So what you have is essentially 2 durso drains with horizontal inlets. How flow are you running and what size plumbing? It looks like 1" plumbing in hte pic, but I can't be sure. a 1" durso won't handle a ton of flow before it starts gurgling quite a bit. On top of this, you have a small overflow box with teeth, which will also create a lot of noise and bubbles if you are running much flow.

You can do a Herbie with 2 pipes, but it won't work too well with your setup. The Herbie was designed for a corner flow setup that allows for a significant vertical difference between the siphon and the dry emergency. This distance lets the system auto-tune itself to a limited degree. A setup like yours won't allow this.

I agree with robertifly - your best bet is to drill another hole and covert it to a bean. On that subject, how close are your bulkheads? They look awfully close together. There should be at least 1 hole diameter distance between the holes, preferably 1.5 diameters

I agree as well......

SaltieG
06/30/2015, 05:38 PM
It's 1 inch plumbing for the drains and 3/4 for the returns. I don't need a totally silent overflow. I can handle the slight waterfall sound but it's the gurgling that is the worst.

ericarenee
06/30/2015, 05:50 PM
It's 1 inch plumbing for the drains and 3/4 for the returns. I don't need a totally silent overflow. I can handle the slight waterfall sound but it's the gurgling that is the worst.

You could try turning one of those Drains down with a a 90s and a short piece of pipe. Then put a valve on the other. So one of them only takes water then you adjust the other to take water and some air ... But you would need to close those air lines. well on the full siphon. Also be sure they are about 2 inches under water in the sump for this to work. It would be a kinda but not quite similar to bean animal over flow.. I think it will help but not give you total quiet...

not sure it the full syphon would just suck all the water out of the overflow box then gurgle more... but may be worth a try.

zachts
06/30/2015, 06:05 PM
Or just convert it to a herbie style drain. Put a 90 facing down as your main full-syphon drain, and then a 90 upwards to act as your emergency. You can even cut overflow teeth into the emergency 90 to get additional surface skimming. I always leave mine with a small trickle of water running through them.

But, this way you will have to plug the air holes on the 90's behind the tank. Your setup was not ideal, because that is the noisiest drain style ever, but you can work with it.

This would be the simplest thing to try first. You'll also need a valve on the down turned elbow to reduce flow and maintain full siphon, It may not be perfect but it looks like you have enough water level in the box for this to work "OK" and it's only a few dollars in parts to give it a go. don't forget you must seal the air holes in the elbows up or it won't maintain the siphon and will continue to gurgle.

Beananimal drain inside an external box would be then next easiest and a bit better overall. if you don't mind the extra work. Similar to the "ghost overflow".

zachts
06/30/2015, 06:06 PM
not sure it the full syphon would just suck all the water out of the overflow box then gurgle more... but may be worth a try.

It would without a valve on it to restrict flow, which turns it into an almost herbie at that point :)

ericarenee
06/30/2015, 06:09 PM
It would without a valve on it to restrict flow, which turns it into an almost herbie at that point :)

it Just might work. Only issue is NO Redundancy .

SaltieG
06/30/2015, 08:00 PM
Alright well I think I might have found the solution. Went to Lowes and got a couple more elbows and put them facing down in the overflow box, and kept the air holes open and now its pretty close to silent. A little waterfall sound but thats fine by me. I also throttled one of the return lines down about 25% and kept the other wide open.

zachts
06/30/2015, 09:36 PM
Alright well I think I might have found the solution. Went to Lowes and got a couple more elbows and put them facing down in the overflow box, and kept the air holes open and now its pretty close to silent. A little waterfall sound but thats fine by me. I also throttled one of the return lines down about 25% and kept the other wide open.

Sure it was the elbows and not simply reducing flow? Gurgling usually means too much flow for an open drain system to handle, though the elbows probably help to reduce the noise somewhat for any gurgling that remains......glad it worked for you. That more or less makes them operate like a durso drain, but they will still start gurgling with increased flow, it just may not be as audible.

Gorgok
07/01/2015, 01:28 AM
That also looks like silicone and acrylic... it might work here, since the box is being pushed into the back wall by the water as is (but its also being lifted). If it does let go i hope your sump can handle another 2" from the display...

SaltieG
07/01/2015, 04:54 AM
It is actually a very strong bond so I'm not worried. Would I do that on the outside of the tank? Nope.

zachts
07/01/2015, 11:48 AM
It is actually a very strong bond so I'm not worried. Would I do that on the outside of the tank? Nope.

Just keep in mind that even if it holds for the life of the tank it WILL eventually start leaking along the seam to some degree, no way around that. Just make sure your sump can handle the volume of water if the tank draws down that far, say during a long power outage........

SaltieG
07/01/2015, 11:50 AM
I tried reducing flow but to no avail. It didn't do any good. Actually I plugged the holes in the 90s and then added the elbows into the box and it did nothing so I reopened the air holes and it quieted right down once air was available.

Sure it was the elbows and not simply reducing flow? Gurgling usually means too much flow for an open drain system to handle, though the elbows probably help to reduce the noise somewhat for any gurgling that remains......glad it worked for you. That more or less makes them operate like a durso drain, but they will still start gurgling with increased flow, it just may not be as audible.

sleepydoc
07/02/2015, 10:54 PM
Not surprising - a durso depends on the air inlet to keep it (somewhat) quiet. My bet is that reducing the flow will help the most.

If it were me, I would remove the box, drill a 3rd hole and convert it to a bean with a bigger Box. Even if you get it quieted down, the setup you have is suboptimal.

CSample
07/08/2015, 09:18 PM
Reduce flow of drain

Shawn O
07/09/2015, 11:11 AM
You could use a plastic external box (5 sided) held on with those bulkheads and do a BeanAnimal system.

BM3
07/13/2015, 01:38 PM
This was a good read... just getting back into the game, and glad I found this.

sleepydoc
08/05/2015, 12:12 PM
SaltyG - did you ever get it quieted down? What did you end up doing?