PDA

View Full Version : What fish i should get?

Fish Keeper82
06/30/2015, 03:58 PM
In a 125 gallon tank I have an 8 year old Green chromis, a 5 year old Blue Tang, and two Ocellaris Clownfish I recently added about a month ago after a 2 month QT.

I plan to keep my bio load low so I only want to add one or two more fish. This will also be an all soft coral reef. I have green cabbage and some zoas that I have added so far.

I can't decide what :fish1: to get next. I think another tang would be out of the question.

CoralsAddiction
06/30/2015, 04:54 PM
Regal Angel

horseplay
06/30/2015, 05:50 PM
+1 and do not QT regals

Fish Keeper82
06/30/2015, 06:06 PM
Regal Angel

I Looked it up, beautiful fish but just too many cons. Semi aggressive, caution with reef compatible and a max 10" growth seems to big considering I have a 5" blue tang now.

jschulst
06/30/2015, 08:38 PM
try adding another tang or butterfly, that's a pretty big tank for the number of fishes you have now.

SoloChromis
06/30/2015, 09:33 PM
I Looked it up, beautiful fish but just too many cons. Semi aggressive, caution with reef compatible and a max 10" growth seems to big considering I have a 5" blue tang now.

I can tell you regals are probably THE most docile large angel you'll find, as well as having an extremely slow growth rate (maybe .5-1" per year max), and as far as coral friendliness goes, the most common problem people have is with them nipping at zoas. *Highly* recommend if you could find a healthy specimen :beer:

bat21
06/30/2015, 09:40 PM
Do you want one big fish? Or several small fish? I happen to think small fish have more interesting personalities. You can add a royal gramma, a firefish, and a pygmy wrasse. Very low bioload, three distinct personalities, and tons of color.

Fish Keeper82
06/30/2015, 10:17 PM
Do you want one big fish? Or several small fish? I happen to think small fish have more interesting personalities. You can add a royal gramma, a firefish, and a pygmy wrasse. Very low bioload, three distinct personalities, and tons of color.

I was thinking about 2-3 smaller fish with distinctive personalities like a diamond goby and six line wrasse.

I'd like a sand sifter just to keep the sand stirred and I hope it would put detritus up in the water where my filter socks could cat the junk.
Fire fish are nice too. I had my heart set on a flame hawkfish but I want to add a shrimp or two later on so I dunno.

Genera
06/30/2015, 10:32 PM
Do NOT get a sixline wrasse. Will torment and pick on other fish. Mine basically destroyed the fins of a yellow tang and killed it in one of my previous tanks
If you have a deep sand bed, also do NOT get a sand sifting fish or invert of any kind including the diamond goby. They will eat all of the beneficial organisms in your sandbed. If you don't have a sandbed and don't mind sand on your corals and rock, a sand sifting goby is right for you! They are great little fish but they jump and get sand everywhere from my experience. I found mine behind the tank dead and looking straight at me but still looking like it was in the position it would be in underwater.

Here are some fish I'd reccomend
•Chaetodon Miliaris - Millet/Milletseed/Lemon Butterflyfish
A smaller butterfly (~4-5in) that is typically reef safe, hardy and usually accepts food readily. Most likely will not eat mobile inverts unless they are tiny (<1in)

•Forcepiger Flavissimus - Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish
One of the most reef safe butterflies in my experience, as long as you aren't concerned about worms (tube worms, feather worms, etc worms). Hardy and usually accepts food readily.

•Centropyge Eibli - Redstripe/Blacktail/Orangelined/Ebil's/Eibli Angelfish
Depending on the individual, may occasionally nip at sessile inverts. Generally shy at first but becomes more assertive once established. Not fragile but not hardy.

•Nemateleotris Magnifica - Firefish/Fire Goby/ Firefish Goby/ Fire Dartfish
Hardy and easy to care for. Great personality and color but a jumper. Have a cover. One of my favorite smaller fish.

•Meiacanthus Oualanensis - Canary Blenny/Yellow Fang Blenny/Oualan Forktail Blenny
Generally peaceful and easy to care for. Amazing yellow coloration. Have a cover because this fish jumps. *venomous bite for defense

•Felis Catus - Domestic Aquatic House Cat
Extremely aggressive and will eat all fish and inverts and spread hair all over the tank. Makes a meowing sound when you walk by the tank. Not reef safe as it will destroy all corals with its feet and claws. Very needy and needs lots of attention but has a great personality.

CoralsAddiction
07/01/2015, 08:23 AM
I was thinking about 2-3 smaller fish with distinctive personalities like a diamond goby and six line wrasse.

Both are nice fish with the wrasse being on the aggressive side (far more aggressive than a regal angel). They are very common fish so you should keep this thread alive for more out of the box suggestions.

Fish Keeper82
07/01/2015, 09:03 AM
I had a sixline wrasse years ago that i must have lucked out on. It was one of the most docile fish i have ever had. Never nipped at any of my other fish. I must have had him 5 years or so( lost him to carpet surfing ) My new tank is covered now.

BlueMac92
07/01/2015, 05:40 PM
How about a Flame hawkfish? My old boss kept one in his 29g cube by itself. Great personality.

J Dawg N iT
01/30/2016, 06:17 PM
long nose hawkfish, are pretty cool perch on rocks. I had one in my 125g chalk bass are a small pretty fish with bluish colour to them. Six line wrasse are nice ive had them before did no harm especially in a 125g, theres no reason you should have any problem lots of swimming room for it.

running scott
01/30/2016, 06:48 PM
Flame hawkfish, and a Hoevens wrasse. Great personalities, gorgeous colors, won't be aggressive with the fish you already have, and won't eat your corals. Warning shrimp and snails might be on the menu.

Dkuhlmann
01/30/2016, 07:05 PM
Golden Midas Blenny, one of the coolest fish and totally reef safe and gets along well with others.

Do not get a 6 line wrasse, they become very aggressive when mature. Well most do as we all know there are exceptions and each fish can be different but more often than not they get aggressive.

jraker
01/30/2016, 10:36 PM
Harem of wrasses maybe? Definetly a midas blenny.

donut0079
01/31/2016, 12:07 AM
I personally love the blue assessor I just got. Really neat fish. Flasher wrasse are always nice or a good fairy wrasse pair make for some interesting safer fish.

ThRoewer
01/31/2016, 03:00 AM
+1 and do not QT regals

Of course you have to quarantine a regal! Everything else would be reckless. :debi:
But the QT for a regal should ideally be a well established tank with lots of live rock and caves to hide in.