PDA

View Full Version : Weight of tank too much?

pbft_90
06/30/2015, 06:41 PM
I have a 125g I want to set up but am wondering how big is too big to be supported by my floors? Any structural engineers in training want to help me out haha? My house is brand new but still concerned that it may tip the scales. Let me know what u think.

sleepydoc
06/30/2015, 09:23 PM
It depends.

Steve Atkins
06/30/2015, 11:20 PM
It will depend a bit on which way the joists go, how big a span they have, and how far you tank is from where the joists are supported.

If they run perpendicular to the tank and have a span of only a few meters then you will likely be fine (assuming you building codes are somewhat similar to ours).

Steve

sbeason
07/01/2015, 04:43 AM
Please provide a little bit more info and we can surely help.....

If the placement of your tank is near the outside of the concrete footers of your basement, or sits on the main steel beam of your house, you will have no issue whether it is perpendicular or parallel to the floor joists. Also if your floor joists are engineered joists(mini I-beams) they can hold the weight even better. You are talking only 1200-1500 pounds depending upon weight of your tank, sump and stand, plus the weight of your water/rocks....figure 8 pounds per gallon.

If you are planning on putting it in the middle of a joist span, you can always support from your basement with posts if possible.

I put a 210 on an outside wall of the first floor of my house and no issues. You would be surprised how much weight the floor joist can hold near the footer.

pbft_90
07/03/2015, 06:25 PM
Sorry for the slow response. It would be running parallel to the floor joists. It would be up against an outside wall it wouldn't be on the metal beam though it would be close to it. The floor joists are 16 inches apart from one another I am mostly concerned because of it were to fall through that section of floor it would also break the water line running near by and create a heck of a pond in the basement. What do you think about that? Any other Info you need let me know before I get going on this tank?

sleepydoc
07/03/2015, 06:54 PM
Type of joists, size of joists, blocking, type of subfloor, length of joists, expected static and dynamic loads...

Running close to the metal beam doesn't count; the weight will be borne almost exclusively by the joist it is on.

Your question is virtually impossible for someone here to answer. Not only are there many unknown variables, but most people here are not qualified to render an opinion.

beadlocked450r
07/03/2015, 07:02 PM
Standard 2x10 wood floor joist can handle 1600 pounds per square inch.

sleepydoc
07/04/2015, 04:17 PM
You'd better check your sources - by your math an 8 ft 2x10 joist could hold 1.5 x 96 x 1600 = 230,000 lbs.

kevensquint
07/04/2015, 05:03 PM
By simple experience, that's probably the maximum size you want placed along a wall without losing sleep. I put one on a 3rd floor apt. Perp. to joists which where 2x12 on 20" and a short floor span of 8'. It was fine. I have also seen a 180 bowfront placed without any planning in the middle of a living room, again the floor is still OK. Honestly I think we worry too much because we look at 1600lbs as if people are holding it. Although it is also better safe than sorry.

sleepydoc
07/07/2015, 04:11 PM
There is more to consider than whether the floor collapses. Too much bounce can cause the stand and tank to flex and stress either the stand, the tank or both possibly leading to failure. Tanks need a solid base and a bouncy floor doesn't provide that.

ThRoewer
07/08/2015, 12:04 AM
I plan to put a 100 gallon tank with a 50 gallon sump on a staircase landing.
I calculated the weight to be roughly 600 kg /1300 lbs. The stand has a 40"x28" footprint

It is basically only the weight of 5 to 6 men, but now I'm getting a bit concerned.