PDA

View Full Version : Best bet for WSM pair: BTA or LTA?

EvMiBo
07/01/2015, 02:37 PM
White stripe maroon pair.
The female is rough, about 4".
The male is peaceful, about 2".

I'd love to trade them in, but my wife loves them.

I'm into SPS so I will be putting either a BTA or LTA on a separate small rock structure (if LTA, into the sand next to the structure). Any tips????

I'm going to try for a XL, 10"+ nem, as I'm more hopeful she won't kill it. I tried a 6-7" LTA about 6 months ago and it didn't go well. Also, the maroon pair will be in a separate QT while the nem is allowed to sink in and get comfortable (hopefully).

Thanks for you time...

CoralsAddiction
07/01/2015, 10:24 PM
BTA, hands down. It's the only natural host anemone for Maroon clowns in the wild and does not require substrate...can just attach on live rock.

ThRoewer
07/01/2015, 11:52 PM
^^^ what he said

EvMiBo
07/02/2015, 07:59 AM
Alright, will end up getting a BTA then. Does anyone know of sources that have 10-12"+ BTA's?

cincyjim
07/02/2015, 08:07 AM
BTA, hands down. It's the only natural host anemone for Maroon clowns in the wild and does not require substrate...can just attach on live rock.

Does BTAs roam around the tank a lot or do they pretty much stay in one place?

CoralsAddiction
07/02/2015, 08:21 AM
Does BTAs roam around the tank a lot or do they pretty much stay in one place?

They can move around initially. It could be a day or a week before it finds a good spot. But once they are happy they stay firmly attached.

garygb
07/02/2015, 08:33 AM
BTAs like to plant their foot in a hole or crevice in the live rock. Once they find what they're looking for they won''t move.

cincyjim
07/02/2015, 10:09 AM
Thanks, that's good to know. Would a BTA (red or green) survive under T5 HO lighting (6 bulb @54w each with one bulb being 10K)?

Thanks,
Jim

Irishdolphin
07/02/2015, 10:58 AM
6 x 54w is more than enough. I have 7 BTAs thriving under 4 x 54w

cincyjim
07/02/2015, 11:30 AM
Awesome! I feel bad my little clown doesn't have a true home. He's been using the flow tube for hosting.
Jim

gavinsepanik
07/02/2015, 02:25 PM
tell us how it goes

ThRoewer
07/02/2015, 03:36 PM
Alright, will end up getting a BTA then. Does anyone know of sources that have 10-12"+ BTA's?

About 20 years ago when I had mine they were quite common in that size at stores. Now, due to fraging, most you find in stores are small (and way overpriced for how abundant they are on many reefs).

If you need them right now for your fish I would recommend to rather get several instead of just one medium sized one.
The other option - if you have time - would be to get a small or medium one and feed it until it's big.

EvMiBo
07/06/2015, 11:35 AM
I have a couple resources where I should be able to get large nems from. I will let you all know how it goes. You think I'll have a decent chance if the nem is healthy and 10"+ ??

davocean
07/06/2015, 06:42 PM
Personally I would never do BTA's in a mixed reef again, they wander way too much for my taste.
I have seen and heard of so many that will just relocate after a year or more for no apparent reason.
While LTA is not the natural choice maroons are quick to accept most any nem.
At least w/ an LTA if there is any wandering at all it stays at the sand bed, that works for me since I keep sps up high usually and easy to relocate softies down below just in case.

EvMiBo
07/07/2015, 10:19 PM
What if the BTA is on a small separate rock structure?

davocean
07/07/2015, 10:28 PM
What if the BTA is on a small separate rock structure?

They can easily walk around or release and drift, and often do.

EvMiBo
07/07/2015, 10:37 PM
Okay. Well, I'm nearly positive she'd be interested in either a BTA or LTA. It's a mater of the nem hosting her and whether or not it's willing to put up with her being rough. That's why I want a huge nem, which I assume will be my best bet against a rough WSM. I suppose LTA is the safest bet. I do find it interesting that I'm getting support for both nems.

CoralsAddiction
07/07/2015, 11:24 PM
Yes, your clowns can and probably will adopt an LTA but there is something to be said about replicating the nature especially in your case where the natural host anemone is one of the easiest ones to adapt to captivity. BTAs do wander and sting corals. I had a BTA sting a green monti cap but the coral recovered and is still thriving in another reefers tank I sold it to (as a matter of fact I saw the coral last week!).