PDA

View Full Version : Setting up QT/HT. Did I leave anything out?

lpsouth1978
07/01/2015, 03:27 PM
Hi all. We are in the final stages of setting up our QT/HT system. I just want to make sure I have everything, and that what I have seems ok to you all.

Current Equipment:

3x 40b tanks (2 for fish, 1 for corals)
2x 55g tanks
5x SunSun canister filters w/built-in UV sterilizer
Lots of ceramic bio-media, bio balls, and activated carbon for canister filters
4x 2 bulb T5HO fixtures
1x custom LED fixture for Coral tank
5x 250W heaters
5x thermometers
1x large air pump
Many air stones
Airline
Airline check valves
Airline gang valves
5x 528gph Propeller powerhead pumps
1x Jebao RW-4 wavemaker pump for coral tank

I plan on getting PVC fittings of various shapes and sizes to use for hiding places. We also plan on doing TTM with ALL new fish purchases, before going into QT for observation and preventative treatments for other parasites, worms, or illnesses. All coral and invert purchases will go into the coral holding tank (with NO fish) for 3 months before going in the DT.

How does this sound? Anything I forgot? Any additional advice you can give is appreciated. This is my first time setting up a proper QT system. In the past we never QT'd anything, but now we have a 300g system and don't want to risk it on a system this size.

Newsmyrna80
07/02/2015, 04:43 AM
I applauded your efforts:) I think you have everything you need. You may want to stock up on meds like prazi and antibiotics.

lpsouth1978
07/02/2015, 11:43 AM
I applauded your efforts:) I think you have everything you need. You may want to stock up on meds like prazi and antibiotics.

I will definitely be getting some Prazi. I also have a gallon of ParaGuard. What antibiotics would you recommend? I plan on treating for anything I can, as a preventative measure. I really appreciate you help.

Deinonych
07/02/2015, 11:48 AM
Kanamycin and Furan-2 (nitrofurazone) are good antibiotics to have on hand.

lpsouth1978
07/02/2015, 01:32 PM
Kanamycin and Furan-2 (nitrofurazone) are good antibiotics to have on hand.

Thank you, I will look at getting some of those.

One more question for all of you, but first a little background. As I said, I will be doing TTM on all new additions, but first I will be removing the fish that are currently in the tank and doing TTM followed by full QT. We got some fish from a LFS that QT's and medicates all of their fish before sale. We did not put them in QT when we got home and one of the wrasses came down with ich. All of the fish are fine and the wrasses fought the ich on its own, but it is in the system so we will be letting it sit fallow for nearly 3 months while we QT everything.

The plan is to use 5 gallon buckets with heaters, thermometers, and air stones. We will switch buckets every 48 hours (just to be safe), cleaning and drying all of the equipment during the 48 hours the other buckets are in use. We have 30 airstones so we can use a new airstone in each bucket which will allow for the airstones to be cleaned and allowed to dry for weeks or even months between each use.

This is where the question come in. How many fish can I safely have in each bucket? I have 18 total - 16x Chromis (~1" each), 1x Lubbock's Wrasses (~1.5"), 1x Sharkfin Wrasse (~1.5"). I was thinking 3 buckets with 6 fish in each. Since they will only be in the buckets for 2 days at a time, ammonia build up should be negligible.

Does this sound good, or should I use more buckets?

Newsmyrna80
07/02/2015, 04:05 PM
Six fish in a 5 gallon bucket may be pushing it. I would add at least another bucket and some PVC for hiding. Also keep Prime on hand just in case.

lpsouth1978
07/02/2015, 04:45 PM
Six fish in a 5 gallon bucket may be pushing it. I would add at least another bucket and some PVC for hiding. Also keep Prime on hand just in case.

I was concerned that 6 fish might be too much for a 5 gallon bucket, but adding another bucket still leaves me with 5 fish in 2 of the buckets. I will be sure to pick up some Prime tonight. I also have lots of PVC fittings I plan to use. Should I continue to feed while in the buckets?