PDA

View Full Version : Are Long Fin Ocellaris fish torture?

DopeCantWin
07/03/2015, 08:36 AM
They even talk about it in this video,

bXjBanC9R-E.

They "can't swim in higher current"? They look cool, I'd be interested, but just wanted a more expert opinion.

SoloChromis
07/03/2015, 07:55 PM
Eh, some people will start a mob about how the clownfish is quickly becoming the next goldfish, or guppy, with all the bizarre coloring, pattern variations, and genetic deformities being actively bred with cutesy, gimmicky names (super extreme defrosted bubble gum gladiator). They'll say they're perverting the natural way of things and that there needs to be a stop to this crime against nature. Then there will be the people that think these clownfish are...well... cool. That's really what it comes down to, if people like the look of these clowns, then they will buy them, and they will continue being bred. This is a hobby, which by definition is something that is done for one's personal enjoyment on a regular basis in their leisure time, for the sake of having fun. If you like the super extreme defrosted bubble gum gladiator clownfish than who is anyone to tell you you shouldn't. People need to stop making up these ridiculous rules, regulations, and shaming to those that enjoy their HOBBY in the way that makes them happy. With that being said, I'm not a fan of the longfin clown, or most designer clowns for that matter, so I simply don't buy them for my tank ;)

Azedenkae
07/03/2015, 09:26 PM
It's only torture if they are placed in a situation that they would suffer in.

If they do not suffer, it is not torture. Simple.

IMO.

ThRoewer
07/04/2015, 12:38 AM
They are unfit to survive in anything resembling their natural habitat, even a standard reef tank. So yes, I consider this a form of torture.

I find designer clowns bad enough, especially if color pattern are the only criteria the breeders are selecting for and therefor let all kinds of deformities slip through. Most designer clowns I've seen so far had some degree of deformity.

But the worst are the designer hybrids where different species are mixed.

All this wouldn't bother me to much if all these fish were properly declared and identified. But there is a risk that the offspring of designer clowns that didn't have the desired coloration are sold as the normal wild form. Also uninformed breeders or those that really don't care may supply local stores with all kinds of mixes.
That and the common deformities of way too many captive bred clowns are the reasons that I only breed with wild collected pairs, preferably from stores that import directly.

CoralsAddiction
07/04/2015, 01:33 AM
I don't think it's torture as the fishes seem to behave OK, especially in captivity including spawning. Whether or not they will be commercially viable is a question that will determine the longevity of this designer clown.

ThRoewer
07/04/2015, 02:15 AM
Lion head and lyre tail goldfish also spawn in captivity and they are both barely fit to live in a goldfish bowl. Spawning is not necessarily as sign of the fish being not handicapped. The drive to reproduce is only topped buy the need for food. If the fish are fat enough and have a partner they will spawn.

Also the real question is: how many of the people that are going to buy these as an addition to their reef tank are dialing the flow down and risk their corals to accommodate these fish? How many of those will actually have the awareness that they should do it in the first place?
At that point it will become cruel to the fish.

Alexraptor
07/04/2015, 08:39 AM
Torture? Given the proper habitat, maybe not, at least not yet.
But I have grown disenchanted with the Freshwater Trade over the years with all the abominations being sold these days. Guppies also used to be incredibly hardy fish a few decades ago, but the ones in the trade today seem to be incredibly frail and delicate, and of all the fish ive kept i have never had any long term success with guppies whatsoever... And yet I have a healthy little redbelly piranha thats soon pushing 13... so yeah lol.

With that I mind, I'd hate to see the marine trade go the same way. Thats my "opinion" anyway.

DopeCantWin
07/04/2015, 09:26 AM
will be commercially viable

There's some near me for sale, hence the curiosity.

LargeAngels
07/04/2015, 09:55 AM
I wish breeders would spend as much time on reducing deformities as they spend on coming up with wild patters and weird combinations.

DopeCantWin
07/04/2015, 10:13 AM
I wish breeders would spend as much time on reducing deformities as they spend on coming up with wild patters and weird combinations.

Maybe they do pick the least deformed for breeding, but what comes to the market is batch b.

CoralsAddiction
07/04/2015, 01:49 PM
There's some near me for sale, hence the curiosity.

What price tag do they come at?

Duke4life
07/04/2015, 03:00 PM

This won't ever happen with clowns at its $$$ in their pockets. This is 1 species that has a ton of color variations because the more color combos the more people may be interested due to taste. I don't know of any 1 fish that has as many color possibilities as clowns.

I've seen a pair at my LFS, and no they're not for everyone, but they are really quit striking. If they come down to $100 a pair like they said in the video I saw I'd possibly jump, just not at the high price they are at now.