PDA

View Full Version : Eliminate teeth on an overflow?

Tom39
07/04/2015, 06:09 AM
For my next project, I am looking to make an overflow similar to a ghost overflow.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ghost+overflow&safe=off&biw=1280&bih=706&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&pjf=1&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIhdOVr7PBxgIVxB0-Ch2AbwAL

Currently, I am in the "on paper planning stages" but keep wondering why every box I see has weir teeth.

I am thinking that these teeth are an unnecessary feature of an overflow and I can eliminate them and go with a straight overflow edge. I realize that the teeth are meant to serve as a means or method to keep out fish, snails or unwanted pests from getting into the box and going down the drain. But I know from experience that this is not a guarantee. I have also done some searching on Reef Central and see that the coast to coast (CTC) overflow design, use only a piece of glass without teeth.

So my questions are. Are weir teeth simply something that has just been handed down and unnecessary? Has anyone tried making a overflow box out of acrylic without weir teeth? Lastly, are there any negative result associated with using a straight edge weir in an overflow box?

Thanks,
Tom
One thing that I have not

ericarenee
07/04/2015, 09:15 AM

322356Mine have no teeth...the water is Calmer and Quieter. The Down side is small fish can end up in there..But really not much of a issue for me

Here it is. The pips inside the back overflow is a bit different now. basically they are two elbows turned down and a t pipe above the water level on the emergency in the middle

ca1ore
07/04/2015, 02:16 PM
Early reef-ready tanks had toothed overflows (I owned one of the first) and I think most people assume they are a good idea, 'ask' for them, so that's what the tank manufacturers do. I think overflows are better without them. If you wish to keep fish out, use a length of gutter guard instead.

sleepydoc
07/04/2015, 03:09 PM
There's an ongoing debate about toothed overflows. Arguments for teeth include:

They keep critters out
Good circulation mixes the water well, so the importance or surface skimming is over rated.

Arguments against include:

Organics collect at the surface (this is why protein skimmers work.) Surface skimming optimizes removal of waste organics and is important to system health.
A toothed overflow essentially cuts your skimming area in half
The toothed overflows don't really prevent critters from getting in to the overflow anyway
Flow through the teeth causes more noise, splashing and bubbles
If critters are a concern, a cover can be made for a toothless overflow

I'm in the toothless camp. I don't think the critter issue is anything that can't be dealt with and you don't find anyone arguing that toothed overflows are better, just that they keep critters out.

rickztahone
07/04/2015, 03:16 PM
There's an ongoing debate about toothed overflows. Arguments for teeth include:

They keep critters out
Good circulation mixes the water well, so the importance or surface skimming is over rated.

Arguments against include:

Organics collect at the surface (this is why protein skimmers work.) Surface skimming optimizes removal of waste organics and is important to system health.
A toothed overflow essentially cuts your skimming area in half
The toothed overflows don't really prevent critters from getting in to the overflow anyway
Flow through the teeth causes more noise, splashing and bubbles
If critters are a concern, a cover can be made for a toothless overflow

I'm in the toothless camp. I don't think the critter issue is anything that can't be dealt with and you don't find anyone arguing that toothed overflows are better, just that they keep critters out.

agree here.

Many have done full c2c without teeth. If you head to the Bean Animal thread almost everyone has no teeth on their inner boxes.

Tom39
07/04/2015, 05:23 PM
Well that settles it. Going with a toothless overflow.
Thank you all for the advice, it is much appreciated.
Tom

ericarenee
07/04/2015, 05:27 PM
Well that settles it. Going with a toothless overflow.
Thank you all for the advice, it is much appreciated.
Tom

ohh wait maybe teeth are nice .... :headwalls:

Tom39
07/04/2015, 07:57 PM
I'm willing to listen. Why would you promote the use of teeth?

mmn
07/05/2015, 08:25 AM
I'm willing to listen. Why would you promote the use of teeth?

Judging from his emoticon I would guess he's not being altogether serious.

ericarenee
07/05/2015, 10:05 AM
Judging from his emoticon I would guess he's not being altogether serious.

Its SHE.. But its ok i know this forum is Dominated by men. GRRRRR..

i Was thinking the teeth in our mouth. toothless people need to find a dentist..So yes was not being serious sorry for the confusion..

I Have like most done over flow both ways . My box now with no teeth the water runs much smoother over and does not make near as much noise as it falls into the bottom... Also i think the smoother water with less air bubbles help keep the inside of the box cleaner..

:wildone:

karimwassef
07/05/2015, 10:39 AM
Toothless here. I use a plastic mesh as a gutter guard, but with ~3/8" openings, little fish and crabs, snails, shrimp, and starfish do find ways to cram themselves in.

I think they're going for the little bits of algae that live in the fast moving weir zone with direct halide light. Those little tufts of algae also seem to harbor a lot of pods and become very tempting. Only my urchins are able to get up that high without getting sucked over. Must be the benefit of having 1000 sticky hands.

billdogg
07/05/2015, 12:01 PM
Mine cane with teeth. I used a piece of black acrylic and a bit of weldon to get rid of them..HTH

triscene
07/05/2015, 01:46 PM
Me, too. Going teethless, silent with durso piping. No fish in sump, just once but in overflow and no harm :)