PDA

View Full Version : Placement with water softener

Robb in Austin
07/04/2015, 04:13 PM
Howdy Russ et al,

We are fixing to move to a new house and SWMBO wants a water softener installed. From looking at the old threads, it's recommended to place the RODI unit after the softener correct?

FWIW, we are moving from Austin to Georgetown. Here are the latest WQ reports. I'd appreciate your take on these. (Some local reef club members have had trouble in Georgetown that they are attributing to the water.)

Austin:
https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Water/WaterQualityReports2015/WQS_1q2015.pdf

Gtown:
https://customercare.georgetown.org/files/2015/04/City-of-Georgetown-Annual-Water-Quality-Report-2014.pdf

Thanks in advance!
Robb

Buckeye Hydro
07/04/2015, 04:20 PM
SWMBO - lol - had to look that one up - funny!

Only thing that jumps out at me in the Gtown report is the chloramine.

We can help you with a water softener as well if you'd like. There's nothing in that report characterizing the hardness.

Russ

Buckeye Hydro
07/04/2015, 04:24 PM
Yes - just as scale builds up in your plumbing fixtures, it will build up INSIDE the RO membrane. A softener will solve that. On commercial RO's we install, where the membranes can cost hundreds of dollars, a softener is almost a routine pretreatment.

Buckeye Hydro
07/04/2015, 04:26 PM
We have a water test here: http://www.buckeyehydro.com/drinking-water-test/

that would be good for you to do PRIOR TO investing in a softener or any other similar equipment. This is the test we use so we can spec the appropriate equipment.

Buckeye Hydro
07/04/2015, 04:29 PM
What makes SWMBO think the water is hard there?

Robb in Austin
07/04/2015, 04:47 PM
Thanks for all the info!

As a general statement, water in central Texas is considered by the masses as hard. (I thought the Gtown report was lacking in detail compared to the Austin one. Glad it wasn't just me.) As we are moving into a new place with no plans to move ever again (fingers crossed), we'd like to keep the plumbing build up of crap to a minimum. Our current place was used and we never put a softener in place. Haven't noticed any issues in the 18 yrs we've been here.

Anecdotally, a friend recently moved there and had issues with his water heater in his used house. Pulled a 6" long plug of crap out of it.

As far as systems go, I'm using one of your BFS 75GPD Premium setups I bought in 2008. Still going strong!

Buckeye Hydro
07/04/2015, 04:49 PM
Yes - the Austin one listed your hardness.

Good deal - let us know if we can provide the softener for you - if that's what's warranted based on the water analysis.

Russ

Robb in Austin
07/04/2015, 05:03 PM
Also ancedotally, a local reefer in the Gtown area measured TDS of "around 400" in 2010 per my local clubs site.

Buckeye Hydro
07/04/2015, 05:17 PM
Worked with someone the other day with a TDS of 1200 ppm. Yuck.

Robb in Austin
07/04/2015, 07:13 PM
Just re-read the Gtown report and all it lists, in the first few paragraphs, about hardness is 200-300mg/L. Does that mean anything to you?

Buckeye Hydro
07/05/2015, 04:10 AM
Ah-ha - I missed that. So you get your water from a lake at 12 gpg, and from wells at 18 gpg. Both of those numbers are well into the "hardest" of the water hardness categories (> 10.5 gpg)

So yes, you are going to have hard water! A properly working softener will produce water in the "Soft" category (< 1 gpg).

Russ

Robb in Austin
07/05/2015, 10:53 AM
Got a link to your water softeners? I didn't see anything on the site.

Buckeye Hydro
07/05/2015, 11:28 AM
Not on our website - they are sized to fit your water chemistry and your water use.

extoker
07/27/2015, 10:03 AM
I want to know if the Premium Softening Resin ( http://www.buckeyehydro.com/premium-softening-resin/ ) can take the place of Mixed Bed DI Resin without any harm. If it is able to, how long does it last in relation to the mixed bed di resin. Is the premium softening resin worth it?
Thanks,
Tim

Buckeye Hydro
07/27/2015, 10:07 AM
Softening resin is VERY DIFFERENT from mixed bed resin, and it is not anything you would want to use with your RODI system.

I can provide more detail if you're interested.

Russ

extoker
07/27/2015, 10:16 AM
That's ok, just wanted to know if can be used. Thanks for the quick reply!
Tim

Buckeye Hydro
07/27/2015, 10:17 AM
You could use it ahead of your RODI system to remove hardness and prevent scale build up in the membrane if you'd like. This is the resin that is used in a water softener.