PDA

View Full Version : Anything better/different than Apex on the horizon?

perverseosmosis
07/04/2015, 05:44 PM
The memory corruption on my Apex is now down to the point where basic things are no longer working. I need to replace it.

I've had two AquaControllers and now an Apex. Over these many years, my experience with their software, hardware and support is so consistently abysmal, that I'd rather not buy another Neptune product. Fool me three times, something something...

It sounds like the current Reef Keeper Elite isn't well loved either. Is there anything on the horizon I should check into? I've not been paying attention to what's rumored or available.

My needs aren't extreme. I do like to operate outlets remotely from my phone. I do have a dosing schedule. I do like to turn things off in sets for feeding and maintenance.

Thanks!

shred5
07/04/2015, 05:53 PM
The Archon has the potential to be a better system.. So far the release has been sketchy and was released way to soon before the bugs were worked out.. To me the real question is: does DA have the resources to put behind it and develop it to it's full potential....

DaveMorris
07/05/2015, 11:41 AM
I am running a beta of the latest software and to this point there are no "bugs". Features yet to come? Of course, but as a functioning system it is solid and still user modifiable (if that's even a word). The system is worth looking at if you are trying to find something else in the same price range with the same and/or similar capabilities.

d2mini
07/05/2015, 12:29 PM
GHL Profilux. Most stable, well built, reliable controller I know of.

perverseosmosis
07/05/2015, 02:17 PM
I am running a beta of the latest software and to this point there are no "bugs". Features yet to come? Of course, but as a functioning system it is solid and still user modifiable (if that's even a word). The system is worth looking at if you are trying to find something else in the same price range with the same and/or similar capabilities.

That's encouraging, bug wise. As a software guy myself, I like the idea of being able to tweak things. (now will I, that's always another story ;) )

Any idea on when they'll ship their next release?

perverseosmosis
07/05/2015, 02:18 PM

Thanks! I'm going to read more about it!

n2585722
07/06/2015, 07:33 PM
1+ on the Archon. I have had one since December. It is web based so any device with a web browser can connect. It is compatible with most of the RKE/RKL modules for those upgrading.

Devaji108
07/06/2015, 10:04 PM
have you looked in to the reef angle? I have one i like it. get the wifi module and there you go. its fully programable open source and there a nice community of reefers helping each other out.

cheers

shred5
07/08/2015, 07:34 AM

GHL might have a good controller but I would not touch it with a ten foot pole right now.. Try and find parts for it, they have no distribution in the US right now.. I have one of their dosing pumps and it is awsum but support has dried up and so has anything from the company.

Also till myGHL is finished it does not have cloud support.

Right now apex is the best. It is the only with cloud support, it also has the most modules. I do not like what is happening to them now they are getting very greedy because of lack of competition.. Look at the last products they have brought out, They either stink or are over priced.. The autofeeder is the most expensive and probably the worst feeder on the market. The dosing unit might be a good unit but look at the price for two heads.

The thing is you buy a controller because it is the brains of the unit so it make it cheaper to make add ons because they dont need brains/controller. So basically the modules should be cheaper not more expensive.

So I hope someone comes along to compete with apex but as of right now no one can. They have the support, cloud and the most modules.

d2mini
07/08/2015, 09:05 AM
GHL might have a good controller but I would not touch it with a ten foot pole right now.. Try and find parts for it, they have no distribution in the US right now.. I have one of their dosing pumps and it is awsum but support has dried up and so has anything from the company.

Also till myGHL is finished it does not have cloud support.

Right now apex is the best. It is the only with cloud support, it also has the most modules. I do not like what is happening to them now they are getting very greedy because of lack of competition.. Look at the last products they have brought out, They either stink or are over priced.. The autofeeder is the most expensive and probably the worst feeder on the market. The dosing unit might be a good unit but look at the price for two heads.

The thing is you buy a controller because it is the brains of the unit so it make it cheaper to make add ons because they dont need brains/controller. So basically the modules should be cheaper not more expensive.

So I hope someone comes along to compete with apex but as of right now no one can. They have the support, cloud and the most modules.

Yes, getting parts can or accessories can take longer sometimes. They just opened a new distribution center in florida. And their retail network has been expanding.
Cloud support will be good when it's finished but there is no need for it with GHL.
GHL has always been the easiest to program. Just open up the software on your pc and plug in the numbers or choose from pull down menus. No custom programming language needed.

And you just can't dispute that GHL's track record is second to none. They are the most reliable and stable controller on the market which is by far more important to me than anything else. The are built like a tank. Can usually be fixed at home if needed, no need to send the unit back and be without a controller. Can be upgraded at home. I've never experienced any kind of software bugs. I just won't trust my tank to anything else.

shred5
07/08/2015, 09:40 AM
Yes, getting parts can or accessories can take longer sometimes. They just opened a new distribution center in florida. And their retail network has been expanding.
Cloud support will be good when it's finished but there is no need for it with GHL.
GHL has always been the easiest to program. Just open up the software on your pc and plug in the numbers or choose from pull down menus. No custom programming language needed.

And you just can't dispute that GHL's track record is second to none. They are the most reliable and stable controller on the market which is by far more important to me than anything else. The are built like a tank. Can usually be fixed at home if needed, no need to send the unit back and be without a controller. Can be upgraded at home. I've never experienced any kind of software bugs. I just won't trust my tank to anything else.

GHL USA has not opened yet and we have been told that it would for months they would be. Right now there is someone who has needed a temp probe for one and can not get it, look in their forums. No one is even stocking the doser's right now. The company does not even respond to emails.

I am not saying it is a bad controller but this seems to be a common problem with all these high end companies that are over seas. One day they are great and easy to get parts and the next day they are gone or it is real hard to get anything. I mean look at bubble king, Deltec etc. It seams to be a constant problem with these companies. Do they make great product certainly but it is a risk.

I just bought a GHL doser a while back that I have not set up yet.. Now I am worried. If it were not for AQD_ottawa there would be nothing right now and he has nothing to do with GHL anymore.

d2mini
07/08/2015, 09:47 AM
Yeah, i saw that temp probe thing.
It's frustrating for sure. I've had my own frustrations with acquiring accessories from GHL in the past. I've never found it easy to get stuff, other than the most common things.
But when all is said and done, it's still the best product available, and like I said, I wouldn't be able to bring myself to switch because I just don't trust the other options.
The warehouse thing is a bad glitch, but at least they are expanding their network here in the USA so hopefully once they are over this hump, things will be vastly improved.

I wouldn't be worried about them going anywhere.
GHL is a pretty big company, providing more than just reef controllers.

danrobberg
07/08/2015, 10:06 AM
The ghl based webstore is set to launch July 14th or so. Should limit these problems

jonwright
07/08/2015, 02:48 PM
I already have a P2 and I'm pretty happy with it. So for my next build I've been toying with P3 but the conversation above has been on my mind exactly.

So while I'm not in a huge hurry for a P3, I'm certainly keeping my eye on where to get stuff.

Dealers listed on GHL's site are either closed (Locally - Northside Aquatics) or while "listed" don't have anything in the store (PureReef - Alpharetta, GA when I visited a few months ago).

I ordered a Tunze control 2 cable from Aqua Cave and it took a few calls and about a month or longer to get. While not necessarily a problem in and of itself, it does speak to getting needed components. Now all they have are dosers and parts - no Profilux.

My unit is very easy to deal with and so far I'd be fine with another P3 for my big tank when it's ready. But.........I need to see GHL open up.

tlc
07/08/2015, 05:24 PM
I have been watching www.reefai.com looks like a very promising controller but haven't heard much feed back about them

shred5
07/09/2015, 07:21 AM
I have been watching www.reefai.com looks like a very promising controller but haven't heard much feed back about them

Looks interesting.. Price is not bad either. I see why the par meter was important for the apex.

jonwright
07/09/2015, 03:52 PM

Huh...quick look is interesting.....

FSUwxman
07/10/2015, 11:38 AM
It's similar to the argument for or against Apple products. APEX hardware is nice but their superiority is in their ability to make their products work together seamlessly. They "get it" in my opinion.

Ginu
07/10/2015, 01:08 PM
Never had a GHL so I can't comment on their reliability, just from word of mouth, which has always been complaining about getting parts/modules/addons for the unit.

I started in this hobby with a RK and ended up selling it as I wanted more and bought a Apex 3-4 years ago. Ive need had Issues with Apex, besides a little confusing programing the unit, and the fact that it won't do some basic things (in my opinion).

However after 3-4 years of using an apex, I Jut bought another for the office tank and I love the control ability of the units and integration, so Apex gets my vote; tough to beat all the modules they offer and the forum is quite popular.

d2mini
07/10/2015, 02:48 PM
It's similar to the argument for or against Apple products. APEX hardware is nice but their superiority is in their ability to make their products work together seamlessly. They "get it" in my opinion.

I'm not sure how you think that Apex's products work together better than GHL's products work together. But if we want to go there with the apple comparison... :D ...

I see apex more like Android products.
Things are rushed to market, can be buggy, and not built as well. Although on the surface they appear more advanced/innovative because they will pump out new modules and accessories and everyone oohs and ahhhs.

GHL spends much more time in the engineering dept and won't release anything until they feel it's perfect, everything is more solidly built, and it was always the easiest to use. Like Apple.

chadfarmer
07/10/2015, 03:37 PM
ghl been running mine since 2008 have a back up used it once or twice but was my own fault loaded software wrong